Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Players leaving
Bookmark and Share
EagleWarrior Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Players leaving
We all know Brockman left and also Beard and Jones and now Youseff also...who`s next?
08-04-2008 11:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kitchikewana Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: EMU
RE: Players leaving
If they quit after the start of camp do they keep their scholarships? For the semester? The school year?
08-04-2008 11:58 AM
huroncowboy Offline
1st String

None is hopefully the answer. Really don't understand the reasons but it happens in other programs ie Penn State due to deliquient behavior. I think some of our players will heading down to Div II. On the other hand again I question the mentality of I quit rather than compete. If tha'ts the case see these guys later.
08-04-2008 11:59 AM
EagleWarrior Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Kitchikewana Wrote:If they quit after the start of camp do they keep their scholarships? For the semester? The school year?
Quitting at this time loses their scholarships for them, they still have time to enroll elsewhere but not for football, if they quit mid season their scholorship is good for that semester only...then bye, bye.
08-04-2008 02:18 PM
EagleWarrior Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
huroncowboy Wrote:None is hopefully the answer. Really don't understand the reasons but it happens in other programs ie Penn State due to deliquient behavior. I think some of our players will heading down to Div II. On the other hand again I question the mentality of I quit rather than compete. If tha'ts the case see these guys later.
103 players showed up for camp and already we are down to 100, I also hope nobody else leaves, and yes, all schools go through player turnover like this. In my just over 3 years here, I can think of off the top of my head alot of guys who have left, Maynor, Brockman, Radney, Cozart, Franklin, Robertson, Connor, Dillon, Youssif, Beard, Jones, Bleeker, etc ...all left for various reasons, but I believe we are not a lesser team because any of them left.
08-04-2008 04:44 PM
huroncowboy Offline
1st String

Jones and Yousiff are mysteries to me. Jones need to be patient and Yousiff there's no standout TE right now so the competition is wide open. But oh well.
08-04-2008 05:07 PM
Advertisement

emsg06 Offline
Bench Warmer

I think we lose more than most. I've always attributed this to the kids who come here without many other offers who aren't prepared for the level of talent and competition they face inside the program.
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2008 05:07 PM by emsg06.)
08-04-2008 05:07 PM
EagleWarrior Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
emsg06 Wrote:I think we lose more than most. I've always attributed this to the kids who come here without many other offers who aren't prepared for the level of talent and competition they face inside the program.
I dont agree emsg06, this happens alot at all mid-major schools and it also happens at BCS schools also but nit as much. You are correct though in not being prepared for the level of competition and talent. Read the other MAC forums and go to their websites, it happens just as much.
08-04-2008 05:20 PM
EagleWarrior Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
huroncowboy Wrote:Jones and Yousiff are mysteries to me. Jones need to be patient and Yousiff there's no standout TE right now so the competition is wide open. But oh well.
Cowboy, the Youssif departure is especially disappointing to me since he`s from my neck of the woods and I knew him all through his high school days. He perfectly fit the big blocking TE we really need right now....I think I know why he left, but Im not totally sure.
08-04-2008 05:24 PM
huroncowboy Offline
1st String

Where's Chris Radney on the new roster?
08-04-2008 09:12 PM
EagleWarrior Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
huroncowboy Wrote:Where's Chris Radney on the new roster?
Radney has left also.
08-05-2008 03:11 AM
Advertisement

emsg06 Offline
Bench Warmer

EagleWarrior Wrote:
emsg06 Wrote:I think we lose more than most. I've always attributed this to the kids who come here without many other offers who aren't prepared for the level of talent and competition they face inside the program.
I dont agree emsg06, this happens alot at all mid-major schools and it also happens at BCS schools also but nit as much. You are correct though in not being prepared for the level of competition and talent. Read the other MAC forums and go to their websites, it happens just as much.

I think I base that alot more on the Woodruff era than in the time since Genyk arrived. I think JW took some chances on players who didn't belong in a D1 program for various reasons. Genyk seems to do a better job of retaining players and recruiting quality individuals once he has gotten his own guys in.
08-05-2008 12:41 PM
Kitchikewana Offline
Bench Warmer

So these are Woodruff players who are leaving?
08-05-2008 02:34 PM
huroncowboy Offline
1st String

No these are Genyk's players, I don't think there is a Woody player left on the roster anymore. Not to rain on the parade, but the one Genyk recruiting class with Schmeding, Krevis, Robertson and Franklin not to mention others was a disaster.

I'm not happy with these departures but I also am of the opinion if they don't want to be here then see you. I doubt the staff or the school will give them a release of their letter of intent to transfer to another Div I school.
08-05-2008 04:05 PM
EagleAttack Offline
Special Teams

It is very common for guys to leave at all programs. That's why every class starts with 22-25 scholarship guys plus 15 or so walkons, yet most classes end up with around 15 seniors still playing at the end. How many did we graduate in this last senior group....11 or 12?
08-07-2008 07:06 PM
Kitchikewana Offline
Bench Warmer

No, "every class" does not start out with 25 scholarshipped players. At a school that treats it's players well the 85 limit will in many years only allow room for 15-17 recruits. And that is why, at many schools at least, that you see graduating classes of 15 players. They didn't start out with 25.

CMU has 21 commitments. EMU has 2.
08-08-2008 10:01 AM
Advertisement

huroncowboy Offline
1st String

So are you implying that EMU doesn't treat its players well? If so which coaches are you referring to? Its not the coaches' decision to have a player quit nor have I seen evidence that a coach encouraged a player to quit. Hopefully we aren't going to get yet another rehash of Anthony Sherrill which I viewed as one player on a team of 85 and the problems there were mutual.

The fact that CMU has the number of commitments it has in my mind comes down to the win and loss record and perhaps the facilities ie indoor vs none and a winning tradition in football. EMU has nothing to be ashamed as far as competing as football program with CMU one on one nor in academics where EMU and CMU vie for the top 2 spots each year in overall MAC academic scores for athletes. Fortunately for EMU we have not had some of the off the field problems that CMU has had with their football program in their history.

CMU loses verbals as well they just lost a QB to Louisville from Washington DC.

We run a program on a shoe string without the alum and student support that CMU enjoys from their alums and students. Its a miracle we still have a Div I program. If as many people supported the program as criticized it with attendance and money we'd be looking at MAC championships. You can't ask a carpenter to build you a house without any tools but that's exactly what we ask our football coaches to do.
08-08-2008 12:22 PM
huroncowboy Offline
1st String

Another thought:

According to those who rank recruiting classes since Genyk became coach WMU and CMU's recruiting classes have been ranked higher than EMU's for most years.

Then explain the mystery of why EMU has regained it competitive stature against WMU and CMU if they're recruiting is head and heals above EMUs? Coaching perhaps? Players working harder?
08-08-2008 12:47 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
huroncowboy Wrote:Another thought:

According to those who rank recruiting classes since Genyk became coach WMU and CMU's recruiting classes have been ranked higher than EMU's for most years.

Then explain the mystery of why EMU has regained it competitive stature against WMU and CMU if they're recruiting is head and heals above EMUs? Coaching perhaps? Players working harder?

BTW, Cowboy, this notion that EMU is the MI MAC champ is one of those funny quirks in college sports.

EMU is the Michigan MAC champion but CMU is the MACC champ. 03-lmfao

Has isn't happened before that the national champ wasn't even the champion of their conference?

Certainly in '06 the Detroit Tigers didn't win their division but were the AL champ. I believe ditto for St. Louis Cardinal. They were world champs but not the winner of their division.
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2008 06:16 PM by emu steve.)
08-08-2008 06:06 PM
EagleWarrior Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
From what I understand Juandez Brown has left the team also.
08-15-2008 01:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.