Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Glenn Wilkes Classic
Bookmark and Share
squirrelystew Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Bradley
Glenn Wilkes Classic
Hey Marshall fans. I'm a Bradley fan and I've heard that we're trying to get into the Glenn Wilkes Classic but one of the hangups is that the two schools are fighting over getting the first round home game. Has anybody on this board heard/read anything about this? I've been following the tourney news somewhat through your local paper.

BU fans are starting to worry we may not get into a tournament and our schedule will suffer.
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2008 08:03 AM by squirrelystew.)
07-27-2008 08:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MUTeke Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: Glenn Wilkes Classic
squirrelystew Wrote:Hey Marshall fans. I'm a Bradley fan and I've heard that we're trying to get into the Glenn Wilkes Classic but one of the hangups is that the two schools are fighting over getting the first round home game. Has anybody on this board heard/read anything about this? I've been following the tourney news somewhat through your local paper.

BU fans are starting to worry we may not get into a tournament and our schedule will suffer.

The latest article said we would have one game at home and 3 in Daytona but it didn't say who it would be against. You might want to try out Herdnation.com or Herdfans.com for more info too.

http://www.wvgazette.com/Sports/Marshall/200807270384
07-29-2008 09:16 PM
MUTeke Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: Glenn Wilkes Classic
This is from an article posted today... Bradley is no longer listed as a participant.

Quote:Basketball-wise, Herd fans still await the release of the schedule. While many schedules have been released already, this isn't out of the ordinary for Marshall - last season's slate was unveiled on Aug. 31.

At least two things are holding up the schedule right now - Conference USA's slate and the final details on the Glenn Wilkes Classic in Daytona Beach, Fla. C-USA is well known for going the extra mile to maximize television exposure.

Staged in November, the Wilkes Classic features eight teams playing four games, one on campus sites and three at Daytona's 5,000-seat Ocean Center. Alabama-Birmingham played in the inaugural edition last year, though not too well - the Blazers lost all three in Florida, perhaps zapping their chances for an NCAA tournament at-large berth.

Lee Frederick, president of Sport Tours, said "Two or three things are cooking, and we're not in a position to make a statement" on the field.

He said five teams are set - Marshall, Mississippi, Utah, Morgan State and Wisconsin-Green Bay. That's down two teams from previous reports, which had Bradley and Indiana/Purdue-Indianapolis participating.

Frederick is hoping negotiations pick up when coaches come off the recruiting trail at the end of the month. He is bullish on the venue, where the arena is across the street from the Hilton Daytona Beach Oceanfront Resort.

"It's better than Orlando, better than Las Vegas," Frederick said. "It's a world-class beach and a world-class hotel. You can throw the ball off the hotel onto the Ocean Center."

The tournament is named after Glenn Wilkes, the "Godfather of Florida basketball." He went 551-436 at Stetson from 1957-1993 and is even more noted for directing camps and clinics. He originated his own basketball school in 1958 and directed that for 37 years, currently works with the Nike camps and is even an assistant director of the Michael Jordan Fantasy Camp in Las Vegas.

Charleston Gazette
07-30-2008 07:47 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.