Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Atheist soldier sues Army
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Atheist soldier sues Army
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/07/08/atheist...index.html

I hope to see some courtmarshalled Christians.
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2008 02:06 PM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
07-09-2008 01:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

copycat Offline
Why ask why?

I Root For: Georgia Tech
RE: Atheist soldier sues Army
from the article: Hall isn't seeking compensation in his lawsuit -- just the guarantee of religious freedom in the military.

Ya know, I can really support that.
07-09-2008 02:04 PM
jh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Donators
While the fact that he isn't going after money works in his favor, I find claims like these a little hard to believe (especially the bodyguard part).

Quote:Hall said his life was threatened by other troops and the military assigned a full-time bodyguard to protect him out of fear for his safety.
07-09-2008 02:39 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
jh Wrote:While the fact that he isn't going after money works in his favor, I find claims like these a little hard to believe (especially the bodyguard part).

Quote:Hall said his life was threatened by other troops and the military assigned a full-time bodyguard to protect him out of fear for his safety.

Never lived or been to the deep rural south before huh?
07-09-2008 02:51 PM
Advertisement

Ninerfan1 Offline
Habitual Line Stepper

I Root For: Charlotte
georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:
jh Wrote:While the fact that he isn't going after money works in his favor, I find claims like these a little hard to believe (especially the bodyguard part).

Never lived or been to the deep rural south before huh?

I grew up in one. People who act that way are the exception not the rule.
07-09-2008 04:04 PM
jh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Donators
It's the bodyguard part that I find really questionable - he's not exactly a Navajo windtalker. Of course, if he's making it up, it would seem too easy to prove so maybe he is telling the truth. It just seems that most of the times the most sensational details turn out to be exaggerations at best.
07-09-2008 04:10 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

I think the whole "believe in Jesus now" after an attack on his HMMWV was a joke. Trust me, troops have a dark humor and one I know and have mastered all too well.

I spent 8 years in the United States Army, ALWAYS in tactical units, and the last 7 as a defense contractor working side by side with soldiers. Sorry if I'm a little "skeptical". I've never seen **** like this. Never. ...and no, I'm not one of those contractors you libs love to hate. I, being a veteran of the US Army, and the soldiers I support, have a mutual respect. Lets just say I'm still viewed as a soldier. ....and still, never seen it. I've served with atheists, Christians, Muslims, Jews, and I think a Wiccan once. Maybe the reason it was never brought up is because not one of them BROUGHT it up to the point of making a f'n point. Gee, ya think? Maybe this guy was trying to get attention. Nah, couldn't be the case, could it? Or could it?
07-09-2008 06:20 PM
Quote this message in a reply
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
Rebel Wrote:I think the whole "believe in Jesus now" after an attack on his HMMWV was a joke. Trust me, troops have a dark humor and one I know and have mastered all too well.

Of course. But was the statement that he wouldn't make a good leader because he couldn't set aside his personal beliefs and pray with the troops a joke?

Rebel Wrote:I spent 8 years in the United States Army, ALWAYS in tactical units, and the last 7 as a defense contractor working side by side with soldiers. Sorry if I'm a little "skeptical". I've never seen **** like this. Never. ...and no, I'm not one of those contractors you libs love to hate. I, being a veteran of the US Army, and the soldiers I support, have a mutual respect. Lets just say I'm still viewed as a soldier. ....and still, never seen it. I've served with atheists, Christians, Muslims, Jews, and I think a Wiccan once. Maybe the reason it was never brought up is because not one of them BROUGHT it up to the point of making a f'n point. Gee, ya think? Maybe this guy was trying to get attention. Nah, couldn't be the case, could it? Or could it?

The mistake here is to project your experience onto someone else's. I've been fairly open with being an atheist, but have held back my views in some cases due to concern about discrimination. I've never been afraid to state my views if the issue came up, but I've also never had a real problem. People have said some innocuous but stupid things on occasion, but never enough to really bother me. Does that mean that this guy's leaders didn't screw up? No. But, I appreciate your viewpoint. I'd probably have to see a lot more about the case to make any kind of judgement about whether he was a crank or if he has a legitimate case.
07-10-2008 10:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.