Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Pitt agrees to football series with Buffalo..
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
Pitt agrees to football series with Buffalo..
a two for two with Buffalo? What is the thought process behind this?

http://www.ubathletics.buffalo.edu/footb...dule.shtml

Jackson
06-16-2008 03:51 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Topcard91 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU Pirates
RE: Pitt agrees to football series with Buffalo..
The same thought process that is behind a home and home with Western Kentucky.

You are missing a conference game and "buy" games are becoming too expensive even at the D1AA level.
06-16-2008 04:01 PM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
This was announced a while back and was needed to complete Pitt's 2008 schedule. Buffalo has wanted to bring in better opponents and stop doing as many one-n-dones as in the past.
06-16-2008 04:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Topcard91 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU Pirates
UConn is doing a home/home with them as well.

Buffalo will still most likely do a "buy" game almost every year.

They have 4 conference at home, have UCF, Pitt and UConn coming in, they can go to some SEC venue and get a $800,000 check. They are in a position to do what Big East teams can not.

Everyone knows I am biased but the Big East seems to be WAY to willing to sell their souls to the Buffalos and WKU of the college football world. All the while allowing Notre Dame to step on your neck!!

Why do this???

12 team conference. 8 conference games (no more crappy deals). Title game ($5 million a year). Add a couple more Bowl games (more money and Tv time). Add new markets (more money and TV time). If OOC scheduling gets tough.....try to get 10 conference games allowed!!

Think of the money on a University basis if you were to get one more home game every other year by going to 8 conference games. 50,000 x $40 = $2,000,000. 40,000 x $40 = $1,600,000. That is just 1 game every other year. Guess what?? You just bought a couple of "buy" games.
06-16-2008 04:20 PM
templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
I guess a smart move would be to ask for 10,000 tickets from Buffalo, Pitt sells them and makes some money playing in Buffalo.
06-16-2008 04:39 PM
zibby Offline
All American

I Root For:
Very old news. Pitt needed to do something after getting screwed by UCF. ESPN owes Buffalo a football TV game, so Pitt jumped at the opportunity to be the opponent.

A better question would be why is there a Temple fan on here talking smack about attendance?
06-16-2008 04:49 PM
Advertisement

templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
Where is there Temple fan talking smack about atten, I'll look for him
06-16-2008 05:19 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
That's one way for Wanny to pad his resume. Scheduling chumps will give him a better win-loss record. 05-stirthepot
06-16-2008 05:58 PM
Orange Eagles Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Syracuse
Don't think this is that bad of a deal. Gives you some scheduling security plus a weaker opponent, but not a laughable I-AA team.
06-16-2008 08:16 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
Nope. They've got a laughable Division 1A opponent instead.
06-16-2008 08:22 PM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
zibby Wrote:Very old news. Pitt needed to do something after getting screwed by UCF. ESPN owes Buffalo a football TV game, so Pitt jumped at the opportunity to be the opponent.

A better question would be why is there a Temple fan on here talking smack about attendance?

The UCF game has been moved back a few years. BTW, not many teams are wanting to do unbalanced scheduling unless you're ready to break the bank. The buy games are well over 1/2 a million now. It is cheaper for UCF to not play the 2 remaining games with Pitt and schedule another 1-1, but we will see what happens. The non-BCS teams now work the system to get their share. Sorry but the BCS has created this nightmare.

Rutgers tried to get UCF into a 1 and done for this season. Rutgers was also working on a 1-1 with BC at the same time. BC worked the system and went ahead and scheduled UCF with a 1-1.

Scheduling is going to be interesting in the future.
06-16-2008 10:05 PM
Advertisement

OUBOBCATJOHN Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ohio Bobcats
Pitt's all-time road record vs the MAC 1-2. including losing last two game. All three road games since 2000. Buffalo is improved and its no slam dunk on the road vs the MAC. MAC teams know that Pitt is a very beatable team away from home.
06-16-2008 11:42 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Jackson1011 Wrote:a two for two with Buffalo? What is the thought process behind this?

http://www.ubathletics.buffalo.edu/footb...dule.shtml

Jackson

to me its pretty logical.. for Buffalo they get a bcs team 2x in 4 games.. for Pitt its a pretty easy travel trip. Pitt gets a local team 2x in 4 games.. and I'm sure both do ok $$ wise. and pitt should go 4-0 or at the very worse 3-1 in those games..02-13-banana

times have changed partially because alot of non bcs teams have pretty decent budgets now. with all the extra tv coverage and bowl games, even though budgets are small compared to bcs teams they are big enough that they can do ok without a ton of body bag games. You have quite a few non bcs with budgets that are better than some of the lower 1/3 of bcs teams. I think CUSA has 3 to 5 that are over 25 mil per year and a couple over 30 million. those schools have no need for body bag games. I am sure the top of the MWC is the same.. and probably the Wac as well.
(This post was last modified: 06-17-2008 07:48 AM by goodknightfl.)
06-17-2008 07:39 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
The reality is that the addition of atwelve game and most BCS teams wanting to have ONE extra home game has raised the cost of those body bag games. So 1AAs are shopping and getting more money from Big BCS teams that can pay more. The MAC teams can afford to wait out for BIG money from Big10 teams or wait out and get 1-1 from Big East teams tthat with smaller stadiums cant beat out Big10 teams for home only deals. The same can be said for SBC and CUSA teams which will wait out for BIG SEC money or force ACC and BE for 1-1s.
Unless you sell out your stadium with 70- 80k or more you wont be able to financially make a body game worthwhile and thats about 25 schools.
For BE it makes it harder because of its smaller stadiums and 5OCC games it must schedule. So I expect to see our schools having more 1-1 deals like this one.
06-17-2008 08:57 AM
CardinalJim Online
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
I feel for Pitt having to schedule a series like this. Just like Louisville's series with MTSU and USF's with WKU. No matter how you spin it this isn't good for the Panthers or The Big East. Unfortunately Pitt did the best they could. All of our programs are being put in this position because of the size of our conference and the 12 game season.
Until a Big East program gets shut out of the national title game for playing an opponent like this, things won't change. Mikey T are you watching or don't you care?
CJ
06-17-2008 09:14 AM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
CardinalJim Wrote:I feel for Pitt having to schedule a series like this. Just like Louisville's series with MTSU and USF's with WKU. No matter how you spin it this isn't good for the Panthers or The Big East. Unfortunately Pitt did the best they could. All of our programs are being put in this position because of the size of our conference and the 12 game season.
Until a Big East program gets shut out of the national title game for playing an opponent like this, things won't change. Mikey T are you watching or don't you care?
CJ

Buffalo is not a horrible series. They are fairly close to Pitt and a major airport. They also have Niagara Falls nearby for the fans.
06-17-2008 10:17 AM
Advertisement

CardinalJim Online
Welcome to The New Age

KNIGHTTIME Wrote:Buffalo is not a horrible series. They are fairly close to Pitt and a major airport. They also have Niagara Falls nearby for the fans.

Spin it anyway you want. Any time you have to schedule a MAC or Sun Belt team 1 for 1 it's a terrible deal for a BCS program. More so for a BCS program with the storied history of Pitt.
CJ
06-17-2008 10:28 AM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
I am dying to know why our schools just aren't scheduling IAA games instead. There isn't a huge difference in SOS between Buffalo and a IAA and doing that can give you extra home games certain years. I know WVU makes much more money doing that then home and homes with MAC schools.

Jackson
06-17-2008 10:54 AM
CardinalJim Online
Welcome to The New Age

Jackson1011 Wrote:I am dying to know why our schools just aren't scheduling IAA games instead. There isn't a huge difference in SOS between Buffalo and a IAA and doing that can give you extra home games certain years. I know WVU makes much more money doing that then home and homes with MAC schools.

Jackson

I would think that it is much cheaper to do this than get into a bidding war with the Big Ten or SEC for a 1AA one and done visit. It's going to be tough for The Big East to schedule 5 OCC games against quality opponents.
CJ
06-17-2008 12:08 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
To me, this is a very interesting thread, as Brian Kelly has stated a desire to move away from playing Miami-OH home-and-home. A lot of UC posters support the sentiment, but I don’t see it happening, particularly because these Pitt and USF developments.

The key is five games to fill. Some complain the Miami is still on the schedule, but until better games come along… well, it IS only an hour trip to Oxford, so I don’t really see the series as an albatross. I guess that's Pitt's thinking - the distance.

But, I agree that UB is, in many cases, a lower quality opponent that a I-AA team. Seems like a much better decision to get an upper half I-AA team at home.
(This post was last modified: 06-17-2008 12:41 PM by Ring of Black.)
06-17-2008 12:41 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.