Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

TR - Joey has solid showing at Griz workout.
Bookmark and Share
georgiatiger Offline
Axel

I Root For: Everyone
Donators
TR - Joey has solid showing at Griz workout.
The New NTR Forum - One-Stop Shopping

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/200...ink-they-/

Love, Dorsey impress at Griz workout
By Ronald Tillery

Monday, June 9, 2008

Kevin Love sought redemption with Memphis in front of him.

Joey Dorsey wanted to reach new heights. Period.

An NCAA Final Four rematch ensued Monday in FedExForum as the Grizzlies continued their draft workouts.

For Love and Dorsey: Mission accomplished.

Love, projected to be selected in the upper half of the draft lottery, emerged as the top participant, while Dorsey more than held his own in producing the second-best workout among four big men.

The six-player session also included centers DeAndre Jordan (Texas A&M) and JaVale McGee (Nevada), and guards Kyle Weaver (Washington State) and Jeremy Pargo (Gonzaga).

The focus, though, was on the big men, and Love asserted himself as an above-average passer, perimeter shooter, post scorer and athlete who has enough lateral quickness to avoid being a defensive liability.

“He’s gotten himself into great shape since the (Final Four) loss to the Tigers,” Grizzlies general manager Chris Wallace said. “He’s working out well. He got good measurements at the Orlando Pre-Draft Camp. His athleticism is better than expected. He’s going to do fine in the NBA and go in the upper half of the lottery.”

Love immediately shed 15 pounds after the NCAA tournament, and the training proved worthwhile during impressive full-court, three-on-three and one-on-one exercises.

“I wanted to get quicker,” Love said, “because I’m going to have to play (power forward) in the NBA. I’ll be able to guard (centers) because of my size, but I have to be able to step out on the perimeter and use my quickness. I wanted to show I had the lateral quickness.”

Love displayed excellent shooting from mid-range and ended the workout by burying seven of 10 from beyond the NBA 3-point arc.

Whereas some lottery players rejected the notion of working against so-called lower prospects, Love embraced the idea to prove his stock.

“I’m a competitive guy. It doesn’t matter who I go against,” Love said. “Going one against none isn’t my style. I like to bang. I wanted to play against length. JaVale and DeAndre are pretty big guys, and I scored against them a bunch of times. I’m going to have to play against guys that size at the next level, and that’s just something I had to show.”

While McGee was active and determined, Jordan had the most difficult workout among the big men. He underwhelmed greatly in endurance, defense and low-post scoring. Jordan missed a dunk and shot an air ball free throw.

The best matchups involved Love and/or Dorsey.

Love’s finest moments came against each of his bigger opponents, as he proving to be virtually impossible to guard in the post. During a one-minute drill in which players had to sprint baseline to baseline while stopping and shooting from the elbow, Love connected on five straight shots. The Grizzlies’ staff required seven made shots during that span, and Love converted nine.

Dorsey only sank three baskets during that drill. But, with University of Memphis men’s basketball coach John Calipari watching, Dorsey impressed with his defense and sometimes stunning shot-making in competitive situations.

Dorsey’s fine moments happened when he dunked over a Love block attempt in a three-on-two, full-court exercise, caught a pass in the post and whirled to the basket for a score over Love, and routinely outsmarted Jordan on both ends of the court.

“I want to show everybody I can play with the top guys offensively and on defense, as well,” Dorsey said. “I’ve put in a lot of work in the gym. I just want to play in the NBA.”

Dorsey and Love were the only big men not visibly tired during the slightly more than an hour session.

“Joey can play in the NBA,” Wallace said. “He can be a rebounder, defender and energy guy. I think the draft is going to treat Joey much better than people would have thought at the beginning of the season.”

Love seconded that prediction.

“He’s hungry,” Love said of Dorsey. “He’s a banger. I thought he had a great workout. He hit a bunch of shots and had a pretty nice touch. He actually showed a jump shot. He’ll definitely make a team. He’s big enough and solid.”

Dorsey said he’s worked with NBA players Rudy Gay and Carmelo Anthony in an attempt to make certain he’s seen in a different light.

“I’m getting word that, ‘Joey, you might be drafted in the first round because of your defense.’ I’m like, ‘Wait until they see my offense,’” Dorsey said. “With that, I think I can move up.”
06-10-2008 07:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mphsfan Offline
Unapologetic Supporter

I Root For: Memphis &

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
RE: TR - Joey has solid showing at Griz workout.
Great idea, Egt! A "TR" post in the NTR forum. Will cmt object? Will callemasIseeem complain? Will the post be moved? Stay tuned.
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2008 11:13 AM by mphsfan.)
06-10-2008 11:08 AM
missjtiger Offline
KOKO'S MOMMA/D.J.'S MOMS
Jersey Retired

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS

Crappies
....and this is.....

[Image: dool.jpg]
06-10-2008 11:10 AM
mphsfan Offline
Unapologetic Supporter

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
On the goats show this morning, Tony Barone, said that Dorsey has worked himself into being a first rounder. When asked if he'd be interested at 28th pick, he said "I'm not going to tell you if we'd take him."

Let's see, he's got the 28th pick, Dorsey is a first rounder, there are thirty first round picks.... hmmmmm.
06-10-2008 11:16 AM
georgiatiger Offline
Axel

Donators
mphsfan Wrote:On the goats show this morning, Tony Barone, said that Dorsey has worked himself into being a first rounder. When asked if he'd be interested at 28th pick, he said "I'm not going to tell you if we'd take him."

Let's see, he's got the 28th pick, Dorsey is a first rounder, there are thirty first round picks.... hmmmmm.

I'd love to see Joey go in the first. It would be awesome for him and also make a statement for thirty year olds across the country. Scroll down and you'll find a few more TR threads.

Our goal is to make this forum what the old forum once was. The old forum can continue to send us their poor and hungry and we won't send anyone away.

We need to consider a new name. How about "The Peoples Forum" ?
06-10-2008 11:41 AM
Advertisement

mempho_to_diego Offline
2 legit 2 quit

I Root For: Memphis
thanks for the news man. had to come to the NTR forum to read it! 03-wink
06-10-2008 11:46 AM
Big Ed Offline
Gone Golfing

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
georgiatiger Wrote:
mphsfan Wrote:On the goats show this morning, Tony Barone, said that Dorsey has worked himself into being a first rounder. When asked if he'd be interested at 28th pick, he said "I'm not going to tell you if we'd take him."

I'd love to see Joey go in the first. It would be awesome for him and also make a statement for thirty year olds across the country. Scroll down and you'll find a few more TR threads.

Our goal is to make this forum what the old forum once was. The old forum can continue to send us their poor and hungry and we won't send anyone away.

This one has a good sound to it.
06-10-2008 12:26 PM
Dak10 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ron Paul
Why does the Appeal make me almost want Love as a Grizz?
06-10-2008 02:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Chi-Town Offline
Perpetually Optimistic

georgiatiger Wrote:

The People's Forum is acceptable to the NTR Social Department.
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2008 04:13 PM by Chi-Town.)
06-10-2008 04:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TigerChick Offline
All American

I Root For:
How about the no b*tch*ng zone?!!!
06-10-2008 04:15 PM
Chi-Town Offline
Perpetually Optimistic

TigerChick Wrote:How about the no b*tch*ng zone?!!!

Now Chick, you've been around long enough to know that ain't happenin'.......buncha freakin' whiners.......
06-10-2008 04:17 PM
mphsfan Offline
Unapologetic Supporter

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
How about the Blue Moon Social Club?
06-10-2008 04:19 PM
TigerChick Offline
All American

I Root For:
Chi-Town Wrote:

Now Chick, you've been around long enough to know that ain't happenin'.......buncha freakin' whiners.......

You are probably right; maybe we could have a weekly hanging or flogging for those who whine too much?
06-10-2008 04:23 PM
Advertisement

Chi-Town Offline
Perpetually Optimistic

TigerChick Wrote:
Chi-Town Wrote:

You are probably right; maybe we could have a weekly hanging or flogging for those who whine too much?

That's not a bad idea.....a cyber slap after we vote on the b*tch o' the week.....
06-10-2008 05:45 PM
BIGGESTTIGERJLB Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofM TIGERS!
Chi-Town Wrote:
georgiatiger Wrote:

The People's Forum is acceptable to the NTR Social Department.

I'm gonna be like Paul Wall...................... "The People's Champ"...
[Image: grill.gif]
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2008 07:28 PM by BIGGESTTIGERJLB.)
06-10-2008 07:27 PM
georgiatiger Offline
Axel

Donators
There is growing support to change "NTR Forum" to "The Peoples Forum". I think it's fits well with our smartass corporate culture. I'd appreciate feedback from others.
06-10-2008 07:33 PM
MemTigerFan Offline
The People's Photographer

I Root For: Tigers!

Donators
The people have spoken.
06-11-2008 01:49 PM
Advertisement

mphsfan Offline
Unapologetic Supporter

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
NJ1 Wrote:I'd support that movement.

Thank you, [Image: 200.jpg]
06-11-2008 01:51 PM
georgiatiger Offline
Axel

Donators
Chi-Town Wrote:
TigerChick Wrote:
Chi-Town Wrote:

That's not a bad idea.....a cyber slap after we vote on the b*tch o' the week.....

I like "***** of the week". That's your first assignment.
06-11-2008 04:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.