Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

One thing about the Red Wings winning the Cup
Bookmark and Share
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I Root For: Justice
One thing about the Red Wings winning the Cup
And it's not so much that the Wings proved you can win with a European captain, or that you know the Pens will be back (PLEASE RESIGN MALONE!), or that the series was just so entertaining and well played you can't be disapointed with the outcome even if you are a Pens fan.

No, it's that I was reading the Detroit Free Press and they spoke of the celebration.

Now, remember, when the Pistons won the NBA title, their fans celebrated by killing people.

But the Red Wings? Despite the overflow celebration onto the streets- with people piling into pickup trucks and the like- Detroit police report there have been NO ARRESTS!!!

I ask you to compare this with in 2000 when the Lakers beat Indiana and the riots outside the arena were such more than 10,000 fans, media, the Pacers, and even some of the Lakers players could not leave their arena.

We surely can expect more of the same after the Lakers sweep this heavily awaited series with the Celtics.

That the Lakers will sweep in four.
06-05-2008 08:25 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MotherDucker Offline
Banned

I Root For: The Ducks
RE: One thing about the Red Wings winning the Cup
PittsburghBucs Wrote:We surely can expect more of the same after the Lakers sweep this heavily awaited series with the Celtics.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ANOTHER BOLD PREDICTION GONE WRONG!!!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHHH HOW ABOUT THAT PENS PREDICTION!!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHH THEY SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH LOW RATINGS FOR HOCKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH THE MEANINGLESS HARRIS POLL!!!!!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHHH PITTSBURGH IS A GARBAGE TOWN!!!!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHH I'M FUNNY!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I'M TAKING OVER THIS BOARD!!!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHHHH MEDIA GENERAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHH ITS ROD SHAW TIME!!!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHHHH ORGASM!!!!!!
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2008 08:36 AM by MotherDucker.)
06-06-2008 08:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
PittsburghBucs Wrote:And it's not so much that the Wings proved you can win with a European captain, or that you know the Pens will be back (PLEASE RESIGN MALONE!), or that the series was just so entertaining and well played you can't be disapointed with the outcome even if you are a Pens fan.

No, it's that I was reading the Detroit Free Press and they spoke of the celebration.

Now, remember, when the Pistons won the NBA title, their fans celebrated by killing people.

But the Red Wings? Despite the overflow celebration onto the streets- with people piling into pickup trucks and the like- Detroit police report there have been NO ARRESTS!!!

I ask you to compare this with in 2000 when the Lakers beat Indiana and the riots outside the arena were such more than 10,000 fans, media, the Pacers, and even some of the Lakers players could not leave their arena.

We surely can expect more of the same after the Lakers sweep this heavily awaited series with the Celtics.

What is it like to be wrong so often?

R
06-06-2008 08:29 AM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Who's wrong?
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2008 09:23 AM by PittsburghBucs.)
06-06-2008 09:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
PittsburghBucs Wrote:Who's wrong?

Well you.. you predicted the Lakers would sweep the Celtics and since Boston won last night thats not going happen now is it??

R
06-06-2008 10:33 AM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Boston won last night?

Who knew?
06-06-2008 11:40 AM
Advertisement

BucNut22 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU, MICH, UC
PittsburghBucs Wrote:Boston won last night?

Who knew?
How original
06-06-2008 12:48 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

You're probably right.

EVERYBODY is asking "Who knew?"
06-06-2008 01:30 PM
BucNut22 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU, MICH, UC
PittsburghBucs Wrote:You're probably right.

EVERYBODY is asking "Who knew?"
We'll see if thats true when the rating results are in
06-06-2008 01:36 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Game 1 of NBA Finals 10.4
Game 6 of NHL Finals 4.4

Looks like a whole hell of alot more people knew that Boston won last night then probably
know that Detriot won the Stanley Cup.
06-06-2008 02:48 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

They are.

There were roughly 2-3 million viewers more than watched the Stanley Cup.

But that illustrates my point.

This was the series that supposedly was going to make everyone fall in love with the NBA again.

The fact that in order to do this, it would go against the way the NBA has been marketed for the past 25 years in that they'd be marketing the teams and not the stars shows you just how desperate the NBA is, but regardless.

THis is the sport we supposedly ALL PLAY- MEN AND WOMEN.

None of us have rinks in our houses, but we all have a basketball pole.

It's hip! It's alive! It's popular! It's mixed with hip-hop and Bling-Bling! It's progressive! It's got all the young people!

It's culturally repulsive, loses to hockey in popularity when head-to-head (witness the ratings in Detroit or the fact in Atlanta- ATLANTA!- the Thrashers outdraw the Hawks) and is totally stuffed down our throat.

The basketball ratings were only 25 percent higher than the sport nobody supposedly cares about- that we don't play growing up- that is just a bunch of people named Pavel and Pierre skating around sandwiched between two halftimes.

That's all the "Dream Matchup" Celtics/Lakers could muster. You'd have thought the way people talk on here or at ESPN the audience would be TRIPLE what the Stanley Cup was- instead it is just a fraction ahead.

One wonders if the Stanley Cup wasn't played last night what that would have done to the NBA's audience.

Only point I'm making is that basketball has for years acted like they were so much more popular than they were- not just in comparison to hockey- but also that they were comparable in popularity with, say, the NFL.

For the presumption that basketball displays, one would think that they would have at the very least WON THE 9 O'CLOCK TIME SLOT!

Instead, a rerun of CSI beat the NBA Finals from 9-9:30 in overall ratings.

It's all here folks-

http://tvbythenumbers.com/category/ratin...ow-ratings

And just to tie it back to ETSU, basketball is the sport that supposedly leads the athletic department (though I would argue it is golf- God help us!).

Do you now see the folly of a school that is always searching for an identity putting all of their eggs in that basket?
06-06-2008 03:10 PM
Advertisement

RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
That was comparing a Game 1 to a Game 6.. lets wait and compare what the two series average after it is all over. But the game 1 still kicked the crap out of the Game 6.
06-07-2008 10:08 AM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Oh, Rod- "What's it like being wrong all the time?"

Kicking the crap out of the Stanley Cup would be doubling the hockey ratings.

Instead, the NBA barely beat them.

THIS WAS CELTICS-LAKERS! THIS WAS SIX DAYS OF BUILD-UP!

For all the hype, people should have tuned into the first game of the NBA Finals like it was 6 o'clock on Super Bowl Sunday.

Instead, they watched a rerun on CBS.
06-07-2008 12:38 PM
MotherDucker Offline
Banned

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NICE PREDICTION THERE PITT!!!!!!! OH CELTICS UP 2-0!!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHH HOW ABOUT THAT PENS PREDICTION!!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHHHH GOT ANYMORE FOR US?!?!?!??!?! OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH LET ME GUESS THE PIRATES WILL WIN THE WORLD SERIES?!?!??!?!?!!! OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH LOW RATINGS FOR HOCKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ONLY READING THE RATINGS YOU WANT TO HEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH CUSSING OUT MIKE WHITE IN THE PARKING LOT!!!!!!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHHHH ORGASM!!!!!!!!!!
06-09-2008 07:29 AM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
PittsburghBucs Wrote:We surely can expect more of the same after the Lakers sweep this heavily awaited series with the Celtics.

06-18-2008 08:03 AM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I see Rod. And I'm sure you had the Giants beating the Patriots, too.

Of course, you can't rely on the excuse that I can that the sport is scripted.
06-18-2008 08:18 AM
Advertisement

MotherDucker Offline
Banned

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NICE PREDICTION PITT!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHHH NOT ONLY DID YOU PICK THE WRONG TEAM BUT YOU WERE OFF ON THE NUMBER OF GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NICE JOB!!!!!!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH LOW RATINGS!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH THE NBA IS SCRIPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HOW ABOUT THAT PENS PREDICTION?!?!?!?! OHHHHH THAT MUST HAVE BEEN SCRIPTED TOO!!!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ONLY READING THE RATINGS YOU WANT TO HEAR!!!!!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH THE TRICITIES MEDIA!!!!!!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH THE ARBYS CLASSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHHHH SCIENCE HILL!!!!!!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH GEORGE PITTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH CASEY DECHELLIS!!!!!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHHH KATIE RALPH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH KENNY HAWKINS!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHHH MEDIA GENERAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH KIM REECE!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH THE DOCTOR!!!!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ORGASM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2008 08:27 AM by MotherDucker.)
06-18-2008 08:20 AM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Interesting. Remember when I said Detroit, which invented the sports riot in this country, didn't have a single arrest despite their fans partying in the street?

I looked up "Celtics Riot" on Google, and here it is, less than 12 hours after the victory-

Looting-

http://youbeenblinded.com/boston-celtics...r-victory/

And here we have a riot in the stands of the Staples Center-

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/06/0...ltics-fan/

I thought it was supposed to be HOCKEY FANS that were the hooligans!

I thought Boston was this high brow city, while Detroit was mired in blue collar oafness. I thought people in Los Angeles were all happy and listening to the Beach Boys on the radio as the warm north wind blew in from Santa Ana.

Let's say it all together now-

Basketball is full of thugs, is fixed on the pro level, and should be done away with.

That is all.
06-18-2008 08:32 AM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
No I am pretty sure the term hooligan is in reference to soccer fans. 01-lauramac201-lauramac2
06-18-2008 08:37 AM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Actually there was a riot in Detriot after the Red Wings win but it wasn't because of the win.

Its from a joke site but I still found it really funny.

Quote:DETROIT – Rioting that broke out late Wednesday night in Detroit, moments after the Detroit Red Wings claimed the Stanly Cup by defeating the Pittsburgh Penguins 3-2 in the sixth game of the finals, was entirely unconnected to the city’s new hockey title.

Though the riots were first assumed to be a Stanley Cup celebration, interviews with rioters showed the uprising had nothing to do with hockey.

“Whooooooooo,” said one rioter moments before setting fire to a 1996 Chevy Cavalier. “Yeah, Detroit.”

While the raucous pack showed a clear loyalty to their city, none seemed to be aware of the Red Wings’ win earlier in the evening.

“I’ve never heard of them,” replied a man looting a hardware store when asked if he was stealing a rotary saw because the Red Wings won the Stanley Cup. “I needed a saw, though.”

The Detroit police riot squad had been on call in the event something bad happened Wednesday.

“We were not taking precautions because the Red Wings might have clinched the Cup,” said Detroit chief of police Ella Bully-Cummings. “This is just daily protocol
06-18-2008 08:47 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.