Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Wings go up 3-1.
Bookmark and Share
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I Root For: Justice
Wings go up 3-1.
Ain't lookin' too good in this series, but all hope is not lost.

One thing I'd like to see is Georges Laraque get more ice time. He played so well in the first three series.

I know that the idea is this would be the series that Pittsburgh would outfinese the Red Wings, but that's not happening now. I want to see Laraque out there and the Pens not taking any prisoners.

That said, in 1942 the Red Wings lost the Stanley Cup Finals to the Maple Leafs after being up 3-0.

Now, the Pens are down 3-1 to the Red Wings- 66 years later.

SIXTY-SIX YEARS LATER!!!!!

Karma, anyone?
06-01-2008 10:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MotherDucker Offline
Banned

I Root For: The Ducks
RE: Wings go up 3-1.
OHHHHHHHHHHHHH THE PENGUINS SUCK!!!!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH PITTSBURGH IS GARBAGE!!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHHH GO RED WINGS!!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHH NOBODY CARES ABOUT HOCKEY!!!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHHH THE HARRIS POLL IS MEANINGLESS!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH LOW RATINGS!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHHHH MEDIA GENERAL!!!!!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BOLD PREDICTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ALL WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHHH ROD SHAW!!!!!!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHHH ORGASM!!!!
06-02-2008 07:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Good to see the asylum has internet access.
06-02-2008 07:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

By the way, Duck, I notice our boy hasn't done any stories since May 18.

Any skinny on that?
06-02-2008 09:28 AM
BucNut22 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU, MICH, UC
LOL, where does the Harris poll fit in?
06-02-2008 10:21 AM
Advertisement

PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Typical basketball.

In February more people said hockey was their favorite sport than either pro or college basketball.

So you're wrong about your claim the NBA is growing.

Unless it is in prison.
06-02-2008 10:33 AM
BucNut22 Offline
All American

PittsburghBucs Wrote:Typical basketball.

In February more people said hockey was their favorite sport than either pro or college basketball.

So you're wrong about your claim the NBA is growing.

Unless it is in prison.
No I'm not wrong, and the playoff ratings prove I'm not wrong.

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/content_disp...88a4d8b846
06-02-2008 10:47 AM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
May 20th, 2008

Quote:NEW YORK — The NBA playoffs are drawing higher television ratings than they did last season.

The 36 games on TNT through the first two rounds have averaged a 2.4 rating, up 14 percent from last year.

Ratings are up 27 percent on ESPN, averaging a 2.8 over 16 games. Nine games on ABC have averaged a 3.7, a 28 percent increase.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2008/05/23/top...yoffs/3881

Quote:RANK PROGRAMS Network Persons Live+SD (000) HH Rating Live+SD
1 NBA CLEVELAND/BOSTON SUN ABC 8,697 5.7
2 PREAKNESS 5/17 NBC 7,939 5.5
3 NBA (JAZZ/LAKERS) TNT 5,453 3.6
4 NBA (CAVALIERS/CELTICS) TNT 5,410 3.6
5 NBA (CELTICS/CAVALIERS) ESPN 4,915 3.3
6 NBA (CELTICS/CAVALIERS) TNT 4,781 3.3

7 WWE RAW USA 4,705 2.9
8 NBA (LAKERS/JAZZ) ESPN 4,642 3.2
9 NBA (SPURS/HORNETS) TNT 4,536 3.1
10 NBA (HORNETS/SPURS) ESPN 4,372 3.0

11 WWE RAW USA 4,313 2.7
12 PREAKNESS PRE 5/17 NBC 4,305 3.2
13 NASCAR SPRINT CUP RACING SPD 4,182 2.5
14 FRIDAY NIGHT SMACKDOWN CW 4,177 2.4
15 MLB SUN NIGHT (METS/YANKEES) ESPN 3,421 2.3
16 NBA PLAYOFFS (MAGIC/PISTONS) TNT 2,789 2.0
17 GMC NBA-SUN 1 PLAYOFFS* ABC 2,628 1.8
18 FOX SAT BASEBALL (VARIOUS) FOX 2,554 1.8
19 NHL PHILADELPHIA/PITTSBURGH-SUN NBC 2,507 1.4
20 AT&T CLASSIC-SU 5/18 CBS 2,369 1.7

http://www.latimes.com/sports/boxing/la-...3707.story

The Saturday night tape-delayed event from New Jersey gets a strong rating for KCBS-TV, blowing away the Stanley Cup final game on KNBC.

The Saturday night tape-delayed Elite Extreme Combat event from Newark, N.J., came in with a local overnight rating of 4.7 and a 9 share. The rating peaked at 7.2 the final 15 minutes.

By comparison, a Stanley Cup final hockey game shown earlier in the evening on KNBC-TV Channel 4 averaged just a 1.3 local rating and a 3 share
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2008 10:59 AM by RodShaw2.)
06-02-2008 10:55 AM
BucNut22 Offline
All American

Here's the biggest indication for me, in Detroit known as "hockey town" the Pistons conference finals well outdrew the stanley cup finals head to head.

Heck the Tigers did better one night
06-02-2008 11:52 AM
Advertisement

PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

In the words of Mike Gundy-

THAT'S NOT TRUE!!!

The real ratings in Detroit-

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...3/SPORTS05

Hockeytown? No way. Pittsburgh has overtaken it.

However, Motown? Sure.

AND BASKETBALL STILL CAN'T OUTDRAW IT!

Put hockey and hoops in any market and hockey will beat it.

So now basketball fans are resorting to LYING when speaking about their sport as compared to hockey.

LOVE IT! LOVE IT!

But please feel free to give us those prison yard pickup game scores here.
06-02-2008 04:15 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Something else. Just looked up the ratings for Saturday Night and- WHAT'S THIS?

NBC No. 1 for the evening in TV RATINGS (among males 18-49)!!!!!

Actually, tied with FOX, but then again FOX doesn't go past 10 p.m. and NBC does. If they did, it's pretty sure that NBC would have been No. 1 outright instead of having to split it.

And this is despite CBS' heavily promoted MMA match with Kimbo Slice, which seemed to be predestined to be No. 1.
06-02-2008 04:45 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Yeah it was just a complte blowout, lol.. beside the actual Kimbo Slice fight didn't start until after 11pm.
NHL 4.31 vs MMA 4.30

Quote:The MMA Saturday Night Fights Elite XC event action scored 4.3 million viewers between 9pm-11pm, but it wasn’t enough to topple FOX’s dynamic Saturday duo of Cops and America’s Most Wanted. The MMA bout had small total viewer numbers but it hit the target with the coveted 18-34 youth, particularly the elusive 18-34 year old male television viewer.

The event had 1.9/6 18-49 rating (36% higher than the crimetime drama repeats) , a 1.9/7 among adults 18-34 (more than twice the season average .9 rating ) and a 2.6/10 rating among men 18-34, more than triple the season average of 0.7. In the 25-54 demo the fights had a 1.9/6 overall and a 2.6/8 among men.

CBS is bound to be pretty happy. I wonder if more young people would watch the CBS Evening News if Kimbo Slice was the anchor. Kidding. Kind of. Actually as our friends at the Silicon Alley Insider noted, Sumner Redstone isn’t particularly thrilled about the matches being aired on the broadcast net.

As alluded to earlier, the primary bout (Slice/Thompson) took place after 11pm, so the final numbers will be even bigger (and again are not included in these numbers) as that was no doubt the most watched portion of the fight. We’ll know the full numbers for the entire airing by tomorrow.

The NHL Stanley Cup Finals matchup where the Pittsburgh Penguins lost game 4 to the Detroit Red Wings to go down three games to one had 4.31 million viewers and a 1.6/6 in the demo, tying FOX for first.

Kimbo was massively more popular than NHL in the LA Market

Saturday Night’s Details:

Time Net Show Viewers (Millions) 18-49 Rating/Share
8:00 ABC Movie: The Rookie (R ) 4.23 1.1/4
CBS CSI (R ) 4.46 0.9/4
NBC NHL Stanley Cup Finals 4.31 1.6/6
FOX Cops 4.05 1.4/6

9:00 CBS Saturday Night Fights (9p-11p) 4.30 1.9/6
FOX America’s Most Wanted 5.44 1.7/6

Nielsen Ratings Source: Nielsen Media Research. Full night’s results available via Marc Berman/Mediaweek.

And of course he is comparing it to MMA( NOW) not an NBA game which is what he was originally talking about but decided to switch horses in the middle of the stream.
06-02-2008 06:55 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Rod- My point is that hockey is improving and is succeeding despite so many commentators who will say-

"It doesn't play well on TV"- Then explain the success of "Hockey Night in Canada."

"Nobody cares"- and it wins its time slot nationwide and is drawing record ratings for Versus.
06-02-2008 07:51 PM
Advertisement

PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Oh, and Pens up 2-0 in the first period!

Come on- Rod. I know you want to!

Have a perogie! Pump an' Iron!

I know you want 'em to win!

LET'S GO PENS! LET'S GO PENS!

Tell you what. I WILL BURY THE HATCHET AND TEACH YOU HOW TO BE A REAL PITTSBURGH FAN, ALL IN THE NAME OF PENGUIN UNITY!
06-02-2008 07:53 PM
BucNut22 Offline
All American

PittsburghBucs Wrote:In the words of Mike Gundy-

THAT'S NOT TRUE!!!

The real ratings in Detroit-

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...3/SPORTS05

Hockeytown? No way. Pittsburgh has overtaken it.

However, Motown? Sure.

AND BASKETBALL STILL CAN'T OUTDRAW IT!

Put hockey and hoops in any market and hockey will beat it.

So now basketball fans are resorting to LYING when speaking about their sport as compared to hockey.

LOVE IT! LOVE IT!

But please feel free to give us those prison yard pickup game scores here.

I beg to differ

Pistons beat the Red Wings in local TV ratings game
Mekeisha Madden Toby / Detroit News Television Writer

Metro Detroit is all about basketball.

Just look at the ratings results for the NBA Eastern Conference Finals featuring the Detroit Pistons and the Stanley Cup finals starring the Detroit Red Wings gathered over the Memorial Day weekend. On Saturday and Monday nights, the Pistons had the higher ratings locally. According to Nielsen Media Research, the Pistons game garnered an 11.5 rating/21 share Saturday compared to the Red Wings game on the same night and time with an 8 rating/15 share. On Monday, the ratings tell a very similar story with the Pistons pulling a 15 rating/22 share against the Red Wings' 10 rating/15 share. Rating points represent a percentage of the viewing audience, and the share is the number of televisions in use.

To be fair, the Pistons games against the Boston Celtics were a lot easier to find because the home games aired on local ABC affiliate WXYZ-TV (Channel 7) Saturday and ESPN on Monday. By contrast, the Red Wings' home battles against the Pittsburgh Penguins could only be found on Versus, a little known cable network often not offered on basic cable, and on CBC, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.

Although the Red Wings didn't trump the Pistons in the ratings, the beloved hockey team's fight to be the best did give CBC and Versus some of their highest Stanley Cup Finals ratings ever. Saturday's opener attracted 2.11 million Canadian viewers and 2.3 million American viewers on CBC.

The first two games of the finals also gave Versus its highest national ratings for an NHL game and some of its best ratings overall, second only to a 2.1 rating for Lance Armstrong's final ride in the 2005 Tour de France.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...80397/1005
06-02-2008 08:40 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

And I will trump you with-

The Sidney Show is still on a roll.

After delivering near-record ratings for Versus in the first two games of the Stanley Cup finals, the Red Wings-Pittsburgh series switched to NBC, and Wednesday night's Game 3 drew a respectable 2.8 rating and 5 share in the overnight numbers . . .

• The rating was . . . an 87% increase over last year for Anaheim-Ottawa.

• The game was the top-rated show in Detroit, Channel 4 said, with an 18.8 rating and 29 share. It outdrew the Pistons-Celtics on ESPN (15.9/25).

• NBC's Detroit ratings were second only to the 33.1/47 in Pittsburgh, where there's no competition from "Hockey Night in Canada."

That was dated May 30, unlike your May 28 piece of claptrap. And I used the Free Press, where you quoted the News, which evidently has an agenda.

SO- TO BE FAIR-

You chose to go Versus vs. ABC- and free TV always will beat cable. It's like saying "WOO-HOO! NBC BEAT ESPN!"

Well of course it will. 1/4 of the TV watching populace can't even get ESPN.

You chose a dated article.

You also chose a reading that did not include CBC. Trust me, pull in Windsor in those ratings and it's not even close.

SO- THE PENS WIN A GAME FOR THE AGES TONIGHT AND THE FAN BASE IS GROWING- while David Stern is going back on 20 years of "Market the Stars" to push "Celtics-Lakers" on us, when most of the young fans who watch the NBA think of Larry Bird and Magic Johnson as two old guys who wear funny shorts and the older ones are- well- being turned off and watching something else.

Like, evidently, the Penguins triumphant rise from the ashes.

Care to give me 2007 TV ratings now, Nut?
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2008 12:12 AM by PittsburghBucs.)
06-03-2008 12:09 AM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Let's go onward, shall we-

Here's the write-up of last night's TV ratings for the hockey game-

The NHL Stanley Cup game between the Pittsburgh Penguins and the Detroit Red Wings reeled in almost 6 million, definitely the most watched Stanley Cup Finals game in a good long while.

Moreover, the game led NBC to a tie for first place in the 18-49 demo with CBS so even though NBC was fourth for the night in total viewers, it was number one with the viewers who seem to matter most . . .

While there was more interest in ABC’s The Bachelorette than the hockey game, there wasn’t much more interest and although it had more viewers with 6.45mm, it only had a 2.1/6 in the 18-49 demo. That’s better than the debut of The Mole which averaged 4.73m and a 2.0/6 in the 18-49 year old demographic. Looks like both the mole, and its viewers are in hiding.
06-03-2008 03:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.