Contract Status
Bookmark and Share
andone Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
Contract Status
Imagine going to lunch with your favorite AD and so called pal for a number of years only to be handed a letter that basically says no more long term contract for you ole bud welcome to the one year deal, deal. So goes the story concerning Robbie Laing's contract. Additionally no lunch was had as Robbie apparently stood up and said this is BS and walked out of the restaurant. Should have at least had a free lunch but then again after 6 losing seasons the free lunches are over. So the question will be how much longer will Laing be around. If I am him I am looking for another assistants gig at a high major school with better security for me and the family. In fairness I understand that all CU coaches will be on the one year deal from here on out. If this indeed is the case I don't see great things for CU athletics. Maybe Stan Williamson has been around too long and the University needs to go in another direction with athletics.

Based on Laings recruiting efforts this off season with the addition of all these JC transfers he is going the quick fix route to save his job or at least try to pad his losing head coaching record. He cleaned house after the season and only has 6 returning players including a walk on who sat out last year. With 8 new players coming in this will be an interesting season coming up to say the least.
05-27-2008 07:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Small_Wonder Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Campbell
RE: Contract Status
I like JC players. Eric Smith and Latham were both quality players from the JuCo system.

But he does need to get things together. He is on thin ice.
05-27-2008 10:25 AM
MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

I Root For: The Bears
Donators
He should be thanking the AD for giving him another year instead of acting like a child (if that's a true story). Good luck and hope you guys get what you want.
05-27-2008 04:19 PM
Advertisement

OrangeCamel Offline

This coming year would be #2 or #3 of Laing's and Watkins' 5-yr contracts, right? If this is true, what happened? I thought contracts were contracts.

Last year was a forgetable basketball season. I've suffered through lots of those following Campbell, but this was the first under Laing. All those off-court issues can't be solely blamed on him.

I'm always excited about incoming classes (and am sometimes disappointed), but this new bunch sounds pretty good. Laing can get back to the fast-paced style with players tailored to that.

Results do need to change, though. CU has been D-1 for over 30 years, yet we finish behind 10-year-old FGCU and tied with Upstate, two D-1 newbies. Now, we have facilities and the aura of having football. The pieces are now in place for hoops to start winning, and I think it will. We'll play 20 A-Sun games next year with only 7-8 OOC games. Maybe we can get that winning season that eluded us last year.

andone, those 6 returning players.......Vejraska, Rodriguez, Perkins, Hartley, Dodson, and who?.....Dewey or Capin?
05-27-2008 06:58 PM
camels7778 Offline
2nd String

It may be the the overwhelming need to win has finally caught on at Campbell. I don't mind it. I think at this point if Coach Laing or any other coach that doesn't consistently win thinks they are on stable ground they are only fooling themselves. You can preach having great kids and great student-athletes all you want but if you don't consistently win it's awful hard to keep convincing fans to come out and watch your product.
05-29-2008 11:24 PM
Advertisement

KennesawBasketball Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kennesaw
I was actually a little bit surprised when Laing got his contract renewed a few years ago only one year removed from basically a winless season. At some point you have to win big at a school to give yourself some sort of cushion with the administration and the AD. Laing has failed to do that. It will be interesting to see what comes of this, as Campbell has arguably the best player in the ASun in Rodriguez, and has yet to do anything as a team with him as the leader.
05-30-2008 08:13 AM
camelfan Offline
Special Teams

KennesawBasketball Wrote:I was actually a little bit surprised when Laing got his contract renewed a few years ago only one year removed from basically a winless season. At some point you have to win big at a school to give yourself some sort of cushion with the administration and the AD. Laing has failed to do that. It will be interesting to see what comes of this, as Campbell has arguably the best player in the ASun in Rodriguez, and has yet to do anything as a team with him as the leader.

In all fairness J-Rod has not had a whole lot of help from the supporing cast. I hope we have corrected that this year with the addition of the new players and the return to fast paced tempo and the elimination of some of the dead weight on the team.

I think we need to give Coach Lang some more time. He did bring in J-Rod who is a great player. He just needs some help. We don't need to have such a negative attitude concerning the coach and the AD when we are going into some of the most exciting time for Campbell sports with the new basketball arena and football staduim this year. Give them some time and see what happens.
06-03-2008 08:07 PM
Advertisement

camels7778 Offline
2nd String

I think with this being an exciting time for Campbell athletics the timing is perfect for potential change and to keep the positive momentum going and put all the coaches on standby that winning is what is needed to keep your job. Fans will be excited about the new football field and convocation center, but those feeling will quickly wear off if the teams do not start winning consistently.
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2008 11:14 AM by camels7778.)
06-04-2008 06:08 PM
KennesawBasketball Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kennesaw
I am not saying that Laing needs to be fired, I was just surprised at the timing of his last contract extension. He has brought in some good recruits, but hasn't been able to translate that into a big year. Perhaps this year will be the year.
06-04-2008 06:20 PM
andone Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
That is what is said every year. J-Rod is not going to get it done by himself. Laing has had 6 years and I think it is fair to say his system just doesn't work. He has cleaned house every year that he has been there and it is always next year that they are going to get it done. New arena may help some but it is still not going to get it done.
06-08-2008 07:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Geo Visitors Map
Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.