Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
RE: are the ad meetings over?
TIGER-PAUL Wrote:no news? nothing?

Yes, I believe they are. And I haven't seen any news articles posted yet about them.

Amazing isn't it? Where are the news articles talking about:

1) the league having won 3 BCS Bowl games in a row,
2) having 5 Big East teams in the Top 25 for football in one poll,
3) the league receiving a record setting 8 NCAA bids for the second time in three years,
4) the league looks to be even better for 2008-09 in men's bb,
5) the strength of the women's bb conference this year and how it is expected to be yet again next year

The 'quiet' approach of Mikey T. strikes again. 03-puke

I can't wait for this man to retire. 04-chairshot

The man knows nothing about marketing and his Providence stooges know even less.

Cheers,
Neil
05-21-2008 07:29 PM
Advertisement

Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
LOL. He is trying to get the we are sticking together all is well lines ready
05-21-2008 07:31 PM
Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

I Root For: RU, SJU, UConn
Big East looks for calm time
TOM NOIE
Tribune Staff Writer

Two springs ago, a nervous group of college basketball coaches concerned about their league super-sizing to an unheard-of 16 schools convened at a Florida golf resort.

Those fears were calmed the following March when the league sent 10 schools to postseason play.

Last spring, that same group of head coaches again gathered near Jacksonville, Fla., uneasy about playing an 18-game league schedule. Again, those jitters disappeared last March when the Big East sent eight teams to the NCAA tournament for only the second time in league history.

When the conference coaches convene again Monday at the annual Big East meetings, they may actually have time to enjoy a round or two of golf at the TPC Sawgrass course rather than pepper commissioner Mike Tranghese with concerns over getting their share of teams into March Madness.

Sixteen teams works. So does 18 league games.

"Our commissioner has the strongest argument to keep the 18-game league schedule," Irish coach Mike Brey said. "It's real simple -- we got eight teams in and who knows, the way the league looks next year, we could get nine or 10."

Preseason practice still is four-plus months away, but various polls have as many as four Big East teams, including Notre Dame, ranked in the top 10. The league also could return 28 of the 36 players who earned all-conference honors.

"Has there ever been a league that returns more juice than what ours does next year?" wondered Brey. "It's incredible."

Brey expects a relatively peaceful two days in Florida, a far cry from the 2005 gathering when many wondered if the Big East would survive the defections of three schools (Boston College, Miami (Fla.) and Virginia Tech) to the Atlantic Coast Conference.

"I don't know if we have any other hot-button issues on our agenda," he said. "One of those is already done and that's all 16 teams going to New York."

For the first time since the league expanded to 16, every team will participate in the conference tournament in 2009. That will make for a long week in Manhattan for some teams, but it's something every coach wanted.

"It was the right thing to do," Brey said. "I will guarantee one thing for next year -- we will qualify for New York. I'm really out on a limb on that one."

This article appeared in the South Bend Tribune on Sunday, May 18, 2008.
05-21-2008 08:10 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.