Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Reminder for the Alton Brown fans...
Bookmark and Share
tigergreen Offline

I Root For: MEMPHIS
Reminder for the Alton Brown fans...
Since we're all talking steaks, sandwiches & other food on this forum, just a reminder...

Alton Brown is going to be at the Pink Palace this Saturday afternoon, signing his cookbook for the "Feasting On Asphalt" series.

I think you have to reserve the book with the Pink Palace to participate...I've already reserved mine!
04-22-2008 03:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tigergreen Offline

RE: Reminder for the Alton Brown fans...
i don't know if walton & the others who mentioned going were there, but the pink palace actually managed that signing pretty well, from what i could tell.

I have a cooking group - 5 girlfriends - and we all try to get together once a month or so and make a dinner involving things that none of us have worked with before - this saturday's "cooking bee" was tamales.

so, i'm standing in line at the pink palace, and in the section about memphis/mississippi, there's a recipe for tamales! i told AB about our group, and our menu for the day, and he assured us we could do it - that it just took time more so than luck.

we wound up using the one from the book, and they were wonderful...we did a cheese & green chile version, a chicken version, and the classic beef/delta version:

[Image: cookingbee1.jpg]
04-28-2008 09:12 AM
kpigout Offline
cyber-bbq king

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Crappies
tigergreen Wrote:i don't know if walton & the others who mentioned going were there, but the pink palace actually managed that signing pretty well, from what i could tell.

I have a cooking group - 5 girlfriends - and we all try to get together once a month or so and make a dinner involving things that none of us have worked with before - this saturday's "cooking bee" was tamales.

so, i'm standing in line at the pink palace, and in the section about memphis/mississippi, there's a recipe for tamales! i told AB about our group, and our menu for the day, and he assured us we could do it - that it just took time more so than luck.

we wound up using the one from the book, and they were wonderful...we did a cheese & green chile version, a chicken version, and the classic beef/delta version:

I am impressed ! I live in San Antonio, and have never tried this, although I want to. Maybe I finally will sometime this year. Good job !
04-28-2008 09:27 AM
Advertisement

Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
We went thanks to the reminder posted here. Otherwise I would not have known about it. We had a good time standing in line even though my wife had to sit for a while. The Pink Palace and Alton's staff did a great job. We have cookbooks ready for Christmas for all the kids.

Thanks for the heads up.
04-28-2008 09:57 AM
TigerBill Offline
Imperator Optimus Maximus

I Root For: Liberation

Donators
I could not go Saturday, but saw him several years ago at Davis Kidd and he was great, really funny, with that weird naive/acerbic bit of his. Good stuff, wish I could have joined ya'll.
04-28-2008 10:08 AM
Advertisement

tigergreen Offline

kpigout Wrote:
tigergreen Wrote:i don't know if walton & the others who mentioned going were there, but the pink palace actually managed that signing pretty well, from what i could tell.

I am impressed ! I live in San Antonio, and have never tried this, although I want to. Maybe I finally will sometime this year. Good job !

thanks! they really weren't hard; just tedious. i suggest getting at least 4 or 5 people together to do it once you have the ingredients ready to assemble...that makes it go MUCH faster!
04-28-2008 10:20 AM
memphodude Offline
1st String

I Root For: TIGER VIC-TO-RY
my wife and I were there and had a great time

I loved his seersucker suit with bowtie, that was classic

he actually passed us in line and stopped to take look at my niece (3 months old)
04-28-2008 11:07 AM
Advertisement

tigergreen Offline

memphodude Wrote:I loved his seersucker suit with bowtie, that was classic

i know...when i saw his outfit, i asked my husband if we all of a sudden moved to a tom wolfe signing & i missed it.

[Image: CIMG4006.jpg]
04-28-2008 11:57 AM
Volh8r Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Mirandinha
Question on the Tamales:

Did you steam them or boil them? I have made them in the past and have steamed them. The Delta style is to boil them in broth (as in the book). I was disappointed in the fact that the recipe in AB's book says to boil them in water. He even goes as far to say that no one he came across in his travels would divulge what they use in the "broth".

I'm guessing that a beef broth would be a good start.
04-28-2008 12:35 PM
Advertisement

tigergreen Offline

Volh8r Wrote:Question on the Tamales:

Did you steam them or boil them? I have made them in the past and have steamed them. The Delta style is to boil them in broth (as in the book). I was disappointed in the fact that the recipe in AB's book says to boil them in water. He even goes as far to say that no one he came across in his travels would divulge what they use in the "broth".

I'm guessing that a beef broth would be a good start.

we steamed the cheese & chicken ones, since those actually were based on a rick bayless recipe.

the "delta" ones, we totally planned on boiling in the water that we boiled the chuck roast in (which wouldn't have given much more taste, since you don't season the meat until after you've cooked & diced it).

but when it came time to do it, we weren't thinking and plopped them in a steamer just like we did the bayless ones...i blame it on the cerveza sol.
03-wink

the recipe he uses (and that we used) is from a girl who did a documentary on the "tamale trail."

http://www.tamaletrail.com/recipe_howto.shtml
04-28-2008 12:49 PM
Volh8r Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Mirandinha
Sounds great, tamales and cervezas will do it every time.

Thanks.
04-29-2008 08:00 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.