Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Interesting Read on BB Championship
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
Interesting Read on BB Championship
Some teams lose going to the Final Four?

The part of the article I am going to focus on is highlighted below:

Men's college basketball is the NCAA's cash cow. Yet some teams claim they actually lose money by participating in the Final Four. And in the short term, they may be right.

The NCAA controls all collegiate championships with the exception of Division 1-A football. The large football schools earned the right to stage their own championship, now called the BCS, after successfully suing the NCAA in 1984 under federal anti-trust laws.

But almost 90 percent of the NCAA's total revenue - $614 million in 2007-08 - is generated from staging just one of those championships: The men's basketball tournament. The largest source of that revenue is the television rights fees paid by CBS and ESPN. The NCAA is quick to point out that only 5 percent of its total revenue is used for administrative expenses, with the remaining revenue distributed to member schools and conferences. Distribution is based on a number of factors, including such things as success in the tournament over a rolling period of six years, the number of athletic programs supported by individual schools, and special needs of student-athletes.

If the NCAA only takes 5% of the $600 million plus for operating expenses and disburses the rest of it back to the conferences, why does the 2006 Revenue Distribution section from their own site say they distributed back a total of $310 million?

2006 NCAA Revenue Distribution

Does someone have an explanation as to where the remaining $250 million plus goes to, if indeed the NCAA operating expenses for the entire year (including salaries, travel expenses, etc.) only total $30 million and they distribute back to conferences $310 million?

Cheers,
Neil
04-20-2008 05:57 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

SoCalPanther Offline
All American

I Root For: Pitt RPI
RE: Interesting Read on BB Championship
Neil,

I think here's your answer - this is a few years old though:

http://www.ncaa.org/releases/monthlyTele...Notes.html

The NCAA's revenues for fiscal year 2002-03 were approximately $438 million - 85% from television and media rights with another 10% from the sales of championship tickets. Expenditures for the same period were almost $428 million. Of this amount 61% ($260 million) was directly distributed back to Division I member institutions and conferences, another 10% supported Division I championships, 7% went to Division II and III members and programs; 17% was expended on Association-wide programming such as catastrophic insurance for all student athletics, enforcement services, etc. The remaining 5% supported management and general expenses.

Six different methods are used to distribute these revenues. For the current fiscal year, the following distributions will be made during the April to August timeframe.

Academic Enhancement fund ($17.5 million) - Approximately $53,000 per Division I institution to be used for student-athlete programs and services.

Special assistance fund ($10.9 million) - Distributed to the conferences to meet emergency or essential needs for student athlete. Approximately 70 % is used for emergency travel and clothing.

Student-athlete opportunity fund ($19.2 million) intended for the direct benefit of student athletes based on conference guidelines.

Conference grants ($6 million) $195,000 to each Division I conference for support of 6 targeted areas.

Sports sponsorship ($35.1million) Institutions receive one unit worth approximately $17,600 for each sponsored sport above 13.

Grants-in-aids ($70.2) Allocations made based on the number of full-time equivalent grants the institution provides its athletes.

Basketball fund ($105.3) $140,964 per unit distributed based on the number of appearances in the Division I Men's Basketball tournament over a 6 - year period (1998 - 2003). These funds are primarily distributed through the conferences.

** These seven areas add up to about $264 million. This is close to the amount reported above ($260 million) that 'was directly distributed back to Division I member institutions and conferences' (as the article says).
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2008 04:14 AM by SoCalPanther.)
04-21-2008 04:01 AM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
Thanks Hoquista!

So basically, NCAA basketball is paying for everything while football pays for nothing?

Seems like there is a lawsuit in there somewhere. 03-wink

Cheers,
Neil
04-21-2008 01:54 PM
Advertisement

mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
omnicarrier Wrote:Thanks Hoquista!

So basically, NCAA basketball is paying for everything while football pays for nothing?

Cheers,
Neil

Can't have football pay when the top schools work under a system that doesn't have a championship sanctioned by the NCAA.
04-21-2008 02:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
now you know why there will never be a playoff
04-21-2008 02:31 PM
Advertisement

omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
mattsarz Wrote:
omnicarrier Wrote:Thanks Hoquista!

Cheers,
Neil

Can't have football pay when the top schools work under a system that doesn't have a championship sanctioned by the NCAA.

templefootballfan Wrote:now you know why there will never be a playoff

Right on both comments.

The NCAA BB tourney earned over $600 million and all of the bowls combined only brought in revenue of just over $200 million.

But since the super-conferences get 85% of the bowl revenues, but only 22% of the much bigger NCAA pie, the super-conferences actually made more money from the bowl system than they did from the bb championship.

This will continue to hamper the creation of a playoff system from their perspective. Although you'd have to think that if they did, they'd still ultimately make more money with a football championship.

Cheers,
Neil
04-21-2008 02:52 PM
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
Revenue issues notwithstanding, school presidents like the idea of controlling their own moeny. Besides, 20+ colleges end their season with a "win" in the bowl system, but only one ends with a win in the NCAA tournament.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2008 07:40 PM by DFW HOYA.)
04-21-2008 07:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
DFW HOYA Wrote:Revenue issues notwithstanding, school presidents like the idea of controlling their own moeny. Besides, 20+ colleges end their season with a "win" in the bowl system, but only one ends with a win in the NCAA tournament.

sorry to be nitpicky, but a guaranteed 3 schools end their season with a win(Champs of the NCAA, NIT, and CBI). Also, any Ivy League school who wins their last regular season game but doesnt make a post season tourney could be included as well. Ill go back to my dork cave now.
04-21-2008 08:39 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
aTxTIGER Wrote:
DFW HOYA Wrote:Revenue issues notwithstanding, school presidents like the idea of controlling their own moeny. Besides, 20+ colleges end their season with a "win" in the bowl system, but only one ends with a win in the NCAA tournament.

sorry to be nitpicky, but a guaranteed 3 schools end their season with a win(Champs of the NCAA, NIT, and CBI). Also, any Ivy League school who wins their last regular season game but doesnt make a post season tourney could be included as well. Ill go back to my dork cave now.

Actually Hoya said that only one team ends with a win in the NCAA TOURNAMENT, not ends the season with a win.
04-21-2008 08:57 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
Where did the $200 million for football revenue come from? I don't see that link.
04-22-2008 07:04 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.