Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Did anyone notice today?
Bookmark and Share
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I Root For: Justice
Did anyone notice today?
Driving around campus, I see ETSU putting these little folding signs up that highlight the latest sporting events.

Today, I noticed that while ETSU was playing Belmont over at Cardinal Park, the signs only highlighted the Men's Tennis team's competition that day.

I'll refrain from the Men's Tennis vs. Baseball discussion- obviously baseball plays at a venue built for spectators- tennis does not.

And what does it say about the state of A-Sun tennis that they would hold their championships in a few cages by Warf-Pickle?

At the very least, this shows that having folding signs at street corners is not the best way in the world to promote athletic events. I keep thinking on the other side of them there is the message "Parking- $20 ->"

But if you're going to have them, why post an event that is not designed to attract fans instead of one that is?
04-20-2008 04:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ETSU
RE: Did anyone notice today?
"And what does it say about the state of A-Sun tennis that they would hold their championships in a few cages by Warf-Pickle?"

-- That's a moderately good point (pun intended), and that's why we're building (hopefully quite soon) a true "tennis center".

-- As an update for those wanting to come see the matches, there is a rain delay, still early in the doubles point, action resuming probably by 1, assuming the radar is accurate (but that's purely a guess). That means the women's won't get started 'til about 3 or later, and that is a pure guess, as well - they may try to play them at Milligan so the FL teams can get on the road.
This is very fine tennis if anyone is interested, and there is enough space for quite a few viewers - although virtually all seats were full until the shower passed through.
04-20-2008 10:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Great. Now we can put a tennis center ahead of actual things that ETSU needs to be built.
04-20-2008 11:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Heisman

We all know that the various sports facilities have sort of been "put up for auction"..........the incoming money dictates what gets built first, with the caveat of "fitting in" to the ASun (i.e., futbol pitches built first). stanton essentially said that. Tennis has more support than baseball these days - at least financially. Not debating the merits of that - but that's just the way it is.......

For the record, I decry the loss of the baseball field as much or more than you do, and even more so the track. That track got used A LOT - and it's loss is significant to many people. You hear talk about a new baseball field, a new basketball arena, and a new football stadium, the tennis center; but when do you hear about a new track? Never, and that's insane.
04-20-2008 11:28 AM
Advertisement

Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
There is a new track in the plans, we just don't piss and moan about it as much because everyone likes Coach Walker, and his enormous head.
Seriously though, I thought they were supposed to build some sort of walking trail or paved path around the soccer facility/campus?
04-20-2008 12:37 PM
Heisman

It's sort of under construction; part of it is sort of finished. That part of it is paved. I've walked it. It's a partial solution for walkers, but certainly not for runners. And yes, I know a track is planned, but I heard (last year, I think) that it could probably be 5 more years before it's built.
04-20-2008 01:02 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

But you don't put new facilities "up for auction" if you want them done.

That will only serve special interests and not the public at large- witness your lamenting of the track to exercise on.
04-20-2008 03:16 PM
etsualumni00 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
Personally, I think you make priorities for facilities first (football, basketball arena), then let the money that comes in dictate what comes next. You have to put the well-being of the university first of course. Their philosophy is a prime example of how not to do it...they've made so many people mad, that many of these things will never get done in the next 25 years. No one else in the country follows our strategic plan for some odd reason.
04-20-2008 08:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.