Why I like Shelby
LightEmUp70 Offline
Debt Free

I Root For: UAB

Bill includes $20 million for new UAB research site
Wednesday, June 22, 2005
MARY ORNDORFF
News Washington correspondent
WASHINGTON - An early version of a federal spending bill includes $20 million for a new research facility at UAB.

The university was unable to provide details about the proposed building, only saying it is part of the institution's expanding emphasis on biomedical and other scientific research.

"These funds are important for additional research space for key initiatives in neuroscience, biomedical engineering or other top priorities that will fuel scientific advances," University of Alabama at Birmingham President Carol Z. Garrison said in a prepared statement.

The $20 million was included in the 2006 spending package for commerce-, justice- and science-related agencies that was approved by a congressional subcommittee Tuesday. The chairman of that panel, Sen. Richard Shelby, R-Ala., announced the funding.

"Further expansion of UAB's research capabilities will enable it to continue to grow and attract the best and brightest scientists and faculty as well as further federal research dollars," Shelby said through a spokeswoman.

UAB officials have long had plans for a multiyear construction spree to add more square footage, hire more researchers and attract more federal grants. A centerpiece of that effort, the Interdisciplinary Biomedical Research Building, is named for Shelby and his wife and is scheduled to open in December.

Along with a second, smaller support annex, the two-building complex will cost $140.8 million, $50 million of which was earmarked out of the federal budget by Shelby.

The new $20 million, if given final clearance by Congress, would go toward a separate facility.

It also is a sign that Shelby retained his ability to claim multimillion-dollar projects for Alabama even though he relinquished chairmanship of a transportation subcommittee. Instead, he assumed chairmanship of a new subcommittee that oversees spending on several agencies related to science.

"We are so grateful to Senator Shelby for his continuing support of our research program, which is an economic engine not just for Birmingham, but for our state and region," Garrison said.

The first eight floors of the Shelby building will open late this year and the remaining four floors are scheduled to open in fall 2006, a university spokeswoman said. The building will add 300,000 square feet to the campus.

E-mail: morndorff@bhamnews.com
06-22-2005 03:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Blazer85 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB Blazers

We have some great representatives, no question. Shelby, Sessions, and Bachus have done tremendous work for this city and state overall.
06-22-2005 05:42 PM
BlazerSax Offline
Banned

I Root For:
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award

Blazer85 Wrote:We have some great representatives, no question. Shelby, Sessions, and Bachus have done tremendous work for this city and state overall.
Amen. I'd love to see all three stay in office as long as possible.
06-23-2005 10:20 AM
BTR Offline
The Royal Order of Rooster

I Root For: UAB!!!

Folding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardDonators

BlazerSax Wrote:
Blazer85 Wrote:We have some great representatives, no question.  Shelby, Sessions, and Bachus have done tremendous work for this city and state overall.
Sorry, I like all of them but I wish they would keep their word on term limits. I know that at least one of them ran on the platform of term limits... that was 1992.

Just keep bringing home the pork and the people back home stay happy... boy our government is messed up.
06-23-2005 05:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BlazerSax Offline
Banned

I Root For:
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award

BTR Wrote:
BlazerSax Wrote:
Blazer85 Wrote:We have some great representatives, no question.  Shelby, Sessions, and Bachus have done tremendous work for this city and state overall.
Sorry, I like all of them but I wish they would keep their word on term limits. I know that at least one of them ran on the platform of term limits... that was 1992.

Just keep bringing home the pork and the people back home stay happy... boy our government is messed up.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :)
06-23-2005 09:54 PM
BTR Offline

BlazerSax Wrote:If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :)
Your statement is exactly the problem. People think that as long as their guys keep bringing home the bacon, all is well. These three men aren't the only people from Alabama that can lead... It is hypocritical to run on a platform of term limits and then not limit your term.

When I have asked him about this, he said, "Oh... I do support term limits and would vote for them." Of course, I don't see him introducing legislation nor do I see him limiting his own term.

I agree with these guys on most issues but I believe that part of the problem in Washington is career politicians... whether I like their views or not. These guys are up their so long that they have completely lost touch with the real world.
06-23-2005 10:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award

While I agree that it is hypocritical to run on a term limits platform and then stay on the job, I disagree about term limits. If we had term limits, we would have an even more ineffective government because everyone would constantly be in a learning status. This is not the 1800's where you had the gentleman politician who went home to farm his land in the off sessions. Career politicians are here to stay. And it is better if they know how to do their job. I don't like the idea of a revolving door. Especially in times of national emergency, I want guys who have been there before and know something about what was done in past situations.
06-23-2005 10:21 PM
BlazerSax Offline
Banned

I Root For:

BTR Wrote:
BlazerSax Wrote:If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :)
Your statement is exactly the problem. People think that as long as their guys keep bringing home the bacon, all is well. These three men aren't the only people from Alabama that can lead... It is hypocritical to run on a platform of term limits and then not limit your term.

When I have asked him about this, he said, "Oh... I do support term limits and would vote for them." Of course, I don't see him introducing legislation nor do I see him limiting his own term.

I agree with these guys on most issues but I believe that part of the problem in Washington is career politicians... whether I like their views or not. These guys are up their so long that they have completely lost touch with the real world.
Check what MB said. I agree.
06-24-2005 08:54 AM
BTR Offline

Memphis Blazer Wrote:While I agree that it is hypocritical to run on a term limits platform and then stay on the job, I disagree about term limits. If we had term limits, we would have an even more ineffective government because everyone would constantly be in a learning status. This is not the 1800's where you had the gentleman politician who went home to farm his land in the off sessions. Career politicians are here to stay. And it is better if they know how to do their job. I don't like the idea of a revolving door. Especially in times of national emergency, I want guys who have been there before and know something about what was done in past situations.
I agree that you don't want turnover every year, but I don't think that a 12 year limit on congressmen/senators is unreasonable. Having worked on a campaign and in a congressional office, I don't think that a 12 year limit would hurt the congress. I can see how congressmen change after being in office for so long. One other thing about the 12 year limit is that maybe some of them would find some spines if they knew that they were not in perpetual re-election status.

Term limits are not something that I feel extremely strong about, but if someone runs on that platform and is now in his 8th term... something is wrong. I guess I am going to have to move back to the states to run against him :) Let's see... he has a $15 million war chest (another reason for term limits) and I have 38 cents.... hmmm... I stand a chance.
06-24-2005 09:25 AM
non registered user Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Bacchus and Sessions are examples of everthing that is wrong with American politics today. They pander to "traditional values" and play pork games.

And Shelby is even worse. He switched parties and went against his core beliefs to stay in office.
06-24-2005 09:37 AM
dfarr Offline
Murse Practitioner

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award

what exactly is wrong w/ "traditional values?"

maybe shelby switched for your reasons, or maybe he saw the writing on the wall w/ the democrats becoming more liberal for his beliefs.
06-24-2005 10:00 AM
Advertisement

Grammar-Nazi Offline
Grammar police

Folding@NCAAbbs

I've met Jeff Sessions. He's an idiot.

As far as term limits, I have to agree they are horrible. Ever since Missouri adopted them, the state's been in horrible shape. No one understands anything, and state agencies have to fight for survival because no one cares to learn about what they really do. It's a nightmare.
06-24-2005 11:12 AM
Heisman

I Root For:

"Traditional values" is a code word that doesn't really mean anything. Its loose translation is: "Would the white, christian middle-classers vote for me, please, regardless for whether I actually stand for anything. I'm all for prayin, preachin and porking for big business at the expense of the common folk who get suckered in 'cause I love Jesus. See how I wear my Jesus on my sleeve? Hallaleuja! Praise the Lord (and pass the collection plate!) Now, if we'll just pray in school and stop teaching that man came from monkeys, and make sure we all have access to assault guns but not access to abortions, then everything'll be allright. So long as we segregate the sodomites and protect that flag! Oh, and whenever it suits us, let's trample on individual rights and circumvent the Constitution!"

Anybody who uses the term "family values" or "traditional values" pretty much ensures I will never vote for them. Not even for dog catcher. Especially considering most of the politicians espousing "tradional values" are as corrupt, or in some cases moreso, than than the ones who don't. Of course, now you can't get elected without pandering to the Church of the Extreme Right. "All Hail Ten Commandments!" Don't forget to kneel to the idol when you walk through the courtroom.

"Traditional values" is mental poo-poo that clouds the discussion of real issues that affect real Americans. Politicians use of "traditional values" is a big culpit in the mixing of religion and politics in this country that will, long-term, only serve to weaken this country and the religion the "traditional values" crowd would like to impose on the rest of Americans.

What Would Jesus Do? I think he'd be flogging some Elephant butt outside the temple.
06-24-2005 11:30 AM
LJBlazerFan Offline
All American

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award

Good grief.

Let's not try too hard to bash a majority of people in the state of Alabama, OK? Those two gentlemen have been elected, repeatedly, for reasons more than that nonsense.
06-24-2005 11:39 AM
dfarr Offline
Murse Practitioner

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award

some of us happen to like our traditional values, and they've served the country well for over 200 years. they are not mental poo-poo that cloud discussion of real issues. also, people have a huge misconception when it comes to talking about government and religion. the bill of rights says freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion. i'd vote for someone who claims a particular faith and actually follows it, unlike john kerry who is a pro-aborition catholic. this country was founded on values deeply entrenched in religious faith.

to me traditional values is encouraging the strong family unit w/ the both parents playing an active role. teaching your kids right from wrong, and punishing them accordingly. allowing people to have guns for their own pleasure/defense.
06-24-2005 11:41 AM
UABFRENCHY Offline
Heisman

Donators

Flying Mouse Wrote:"Traditional values" is a code word that doesn't really mean anything. Its loose translation is: "Would the white, christian middle-classers vote for me, please, regardless for whether I actually stand for anything. I'm all for prayin, preachin and porking for big business at the expense of the common folk who get suckered in 'cause I love Jesus. See how I wear my Jesus on my sleeve? Hallaleuja! Praise the Lord (and pass the collection plate!) Now, if we'll just pray in school and stop teaching that man came from monkeys, and make sure we all have access to assault guns but not access to abortions, then everything'll be allright. So long as we segregate the sodomites and protect that flag! Oh, and whenever it suits us, let's trample on individual rights and circumvent the Constitution!"

Anybody who uses the term "family values" or "traditional values" pretty much ensures I will never vote for them. Not even for dog catcher. Especially considering most of the politicians espousing "tradional values" are as corrupt, or in some cases moreso, than than the ones who don't. Of course, now you can't get elected without pandering to the Church of the Extreme Right. "All Hail Ten Commandments!" Don't forget to kneel to the idol when you walk through the courtroom.

"Traditional values" is mental poo-poo that clouds the discussion of real issues that affect real Americans. Politicians use of "traditional values" is a big culpit in the mixing of religion and politics in this country that will, long-term, only serve to weaken this country and the religion the "traditional values" crowd would like to impose on the rest of Americans.

What Would Jesus Do? I think he'd be flogging some Elephant butt outside the temple.
BINGO :D AND DON'T FORGET TO SEND YOUR 10 % WE NEED IT
06-24-2005 11:41 AM
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award

UABFRENCHY Wrote:
Flying Mouse Wrote:"Traditional values" is a code word that doesn't really mean anything. Its loose translation is: "Would the white, christian middle-classers vote for me, please, regardless for whether I actually stand for anything. I'm all for prayin, preachin and porking for big business at the expense of the common folk who get suckered in 'cause I love Jesus. See how I wear my Jesus on my sleeve? Hallaleuja! Praise the Lord (and pass the collection plate!) Now, if we'll just pray in school and stop teaching that man came from monkeys, and make sure we all have access to assault guns but not access to abortions, then everything'll be allright. So long as we segregate the sodomites and protect that flag! Oh, and whenever it suits us, let's trample on individual rights and circumvent the Constitution!"

BINGO :D AND DON'T FORGET TO SEND YOUR 10 % WE NEED IT
This thread is turning ugly. Making fun of someone's religion and beliefs is uncalled for, and highly offensive.
06-24-2005 11:44 AM
Heisman

I Root For:

That's exactly right, dfarr. You have your values, and other Americans have theirs, too. That's what makes America great. Of course, the Dobson Clan wants their values to be everybody's values and they want public policy to dictate it. And that is what makes them WRONG.

The church belongs in the church. It does not belong in government.
06-24-2005 11:47 AM
LJBlazerFan Offline
All American

I Root For:

dfarr Wrote:some of us happen to like our traditional values, and they've served the country well for over 200 years. they are not mental poo-poo that cloud discussion of real issues. also, people have a huge misconception when it comes to talking about government and religion. the bill of rights says freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion. i'd vote for someone who claims a particular faith and actually follows it, unlike john kerry who is a pro-aborition catholic. this country was founded on values deeply entrenched in religious faith.

to me traditional values is encouraging the strong family unit w/ the both parents playing an active role. teaching your kids right from wrong, and punishing them accordingly. allowing people to have guns for their own pleasure/defense.
Amen.

I agree with Memphis as well. Attacking other people's religious beliefs is inappropriate - even on the "non-sports" board.
06-24-2005 11:48 AM
LJBlazerFan Offline
All American

I Root For:

I did not make fun of someone's religious beliefs.
This is about politics. Which is entirely the point: If people don't want religion to get dirtied, don't mix it with politics.
It only serves to weaken both.
06-24-2005 11:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.