Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Wow! ... UT students to pay for season football tickets
Bookmark and Share
Buc2002 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Wow! ... UT students to pay for season football tickets
Interesting ... and our students can't pay $25 extra a semester. And by the way, can you believe there's a $3 million shortfall at UT. Unbelievable.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/apr/11...ebtickets/

Hamilton explains reasons for charging students for football tickets

Students will pay $90 for a season ticket, or $15 per game if purchased on a game-by-game basis. Previously, students could obtain tickets for free with a valid student ID.

All full-time students pay a mandatory $250 program-and-services fee, which helps fund several facilities and programs, such as the University Center, Student Health Services and the Student Government Association. It will remain in effect.

The fee will continue to allow students free admission to all UT sporting events except football.

UT athletic director Mike Hamilton said several options were discussed, including asking for an increase in the amount the university receives from student fees. Ultimately, though, the decision to charge students attending football games made the most sense, he said.

“The reason we didn’t (raise fees), frankly, is that a student fee affects every student on campus,” Hamilton said. “By actually charging for the football tickets, it’s a user-specific amount. Somebody can choose whether to purchase tickets or not. We hope that students will come and be a part of it and that they’ll buy all the tickets they have available to them.”

SGA President John Rader said students expressed outrage over the decision.

“We’re simply baffled that there can be that large of an increase in such a short amount of time,” he said. “It’s lunacy to me. It just doesn’t make any sense whatsoever to make such a dramatic decision without consulting the people who are directly affected.”

Still, charging students for football tickets is a common practice in the Southeastern Conference. Of the 12 SEC schools, only South Carolina and Vanderbilt admit students for free.

Tennessee’s men’s athletic department receives no money from student fees, and $1 million from the student program-and-services fee goes to help fund the women’s athletic department.

According to UT figures, Auburn’s athletic department receives about $4.9 million in student fees. Florida gets about $2.5 million in student fees, and Georgia’s athletic association received $3.7 million in athletic fees last year. Those three schools have one athletic department for both men’s and women’s programs.

Charging students for football tickets is “a road we’re not paving, compared to our peers,” Hamilton said. “It’s a road we’re following. We’ve tried to avoid it as long as we can.”

The increased revenue, which also is to include a $19 jump in non-student season-ticket prices and a 30 percent reduction in discounts for faculty and staff, announced March 31, will go toward stemming a projected $3.15 million shortfall in the athletic department’s operating budget for 2009.

That includes costs such as tuition for student-athlete scholarships and travel for both men’s and women’s athletic teams. It will also help with non-operational costs, mainly projected pay raises for men’s basketball coach Bruce Pearl, football coach Phillip Fulmer and their staffs.

The budget shortfall, however, does not include any money for capital projects such as the continuing renovation of Neyland Stadium, which are financed through earmarked donations and do not come from the operating budget.

Hamilton said that in the coming months, students will determine how to distribute their 13,500-ticket allotment, which will not change in 2008.

“As a student leader, I’m not against students paying a nominal fee to attend athletic events,” Rader said. “But this isn’t a reasonable request, in my opinion.”

Rader added that he expects fewer students to attend games this season as a result of the increase.

“I think you’re creating animosity among the group of fans,” Rader said, “and the largest supporters of our football team.”

Drew Edwards may be reached at 865-342-6274.
04-12-2008 02:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I Root For: Justice
RE: Wow! ... UT students to pay for season football tickets
I can't believe they haven't charged for tickets already.

And I'm stunned that South Carolina and Vandy students get to go to the football games for free!
04-12-2008 03:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kevster Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Bucs!!! Back
Well, with Pearl going to Indiana there should be a decrease in needs and maybe they can rethink this.
04-12-2008 05:47 PM
JWBUC Offline
1st String

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
Honestly Pitt, the way Vandy has played all these years you couldn't charge em for tickets.03-lmfao
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2008 08:47 AM by JWBUC.)
04-13-2008 08:46 AM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Let me ask you this, Kev.

Would you trade a Lady Vols' national title in hoops for one in football?

Of course you would. And even if you would try to make the arguement to me that you wouldn't- 95% of Tennessee fans- at least, would make that trade.

Eighty percent of them would trade ALL of Pat Summitt's National Titles for a not another football title, but a winning record against Florida for the past two decades!

And they'd also trade all of UT's NCAA basketball victories this season- or even their victory against Memphis- for a hand off on the play Erik Ainge threw his fatal pick against LSU.

Until the day comes that UT steps forth and actively deemphasizes football for basketball Pearl is going to be a targeted coach. He's not a graduate where UT could be considered "home."

In UT's favor is the fact the schools in major media markets that could entice him to leave are mainly either catholic- which would make it unlikely they would hire a jewish coach.

If, say, the New York Knicks came to Pearl and offered him $5 mil a year to coach next year- theorizing his personality might be just the PR move the Knicks need to seperate themselves from the Isiah Thomas era- do you really think he would say:

"No! I want to stay at Dear Old Tennessee for $3 million less a year so I can coach the third-highest profile sport in Market No. 63 and go to the Sweet 16 instead of being the coach of "The City Game" of "The City's Team" in the Top Market."

Honestly, Kev, do you think Red Holtzman or Ray Mears is more respected in basketball circles?

And to be honest, the NBA needs a palooka coach in a large market. Phil Jackson and Pat Riley aren't exactly everymen.
04-13-2008 09:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
etsualumni00 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
Wonder where they got those comparison numbers for Florida, Georgia, etc.? Hmm, maybe the EADA report? Somebody should let the News-Sentinel know those numbers are just made up...
04-13-2008 01:30 PM
Advertisement

Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
Vandy students don't even know they have a team, they're too busy looking at pocket protectors and playing World of Warcraft.

PittsburghBucs Wrote:I can't believe they haven't charged for tickets already.

And I'm stunned that South Carolina and Vandy students get to go to the football games for free!
04-13-2008 04:03 PM
Buc2002 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
They said the numbers were provided by UT. How convenient 03-wink

Doubt they were the EADA numbers. Just from what we've seen in the stories about ETSU in the BHC they are unreliable and obviously calculated differently at every school. For instance, the No. 1-ranked Georgia men's tennis expenditures are in no possible way close to ETSU, and the EADA shows them as very comparable. Just no way.
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2008 06:50 PM by Buc2002.)
04-13-2008 06:50 PM
etsubuc Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU
There are many people that would take 3 million less/year to coach Tennessee vs. the Knicks. Most college jobs are far better than the Knicks job.
04-13-2008 06:52 PM
Buc Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
EADA operating budget numbers do not include scholarships costs, coaches salaries, or the costs for the facilities. That being said, why can't ETSU's costs be close to UGA's? Does UGA have better tennis rackets than ETSU? Does UGA travel on chartered planes? Does UGA eat more lunches on a road trip than ETSU?

Why do the supporters of the current direction of the athletic program even care about the EADA numbers? If I was Mullins, I would tell everyone that "Surely, you didn't actually believe we dropped football to save money. We dropped football so we could pour the money into other sports and yes spend like the programs we want to be. The EADA numbers just prove that we did what we wanted to do which is to improve the funding of all the other sports at the expense of football."

Of course, if you want football back, you point to the EADA numbers as a possible way to lower costs which in combination with additional revenues would lead to a decision to bring football back.

And don't give me the bull crap about how we can't hurt the other sports to bring back football. The current administration had no problem completely eliminating a sport to help the other ones. That's a whole lot of hurt.

I hope a day will come when we see "championship funding" for all sports including football.
04-13-2008 08:30 PM
Buc2002 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
I do ABSOULTELY agree with that last statement, Buc.
04-13-2008 08:35 PM
Advertisement

PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

etsubuc Wrote:There are many people that would take 3 million less/year to coach Tennessee vs. the Knicks. Most college jobs are far better than the Knicks job.

Oh, and what jobs are? Tennessee? Penn State? Notre Dame? Alabama? And any other football school you can name?

Give me a break.

While I understand the pressure is greater, so is the reward.

Again, Pearl can be a popular coach who is third-string at his own college and take them to Sweet 16s, or he can be one of the central figures of his sport.

He doesn't get to be the latter at Dear Old UT.
04-13-2008 11:41 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Who wouldn't take a huge pay increase for a chance to coach at the pro level no matter what the team. If you succeed great if not you made a pile of money and the college ranks will always welcome you back with open arms. Plenty of high profile college coaches in both basketball and football have tried to coach at the pro level and came back to college with no loss of status or rep. (and a big pile of money).

R
04-14-2008 12:38 AM
etsubuc Offline
All American

I wouldnt. The NBA is a terrible and boring sport to watch, ranking right up there with the NHL and Major League Soccer to me. And you have to become a Phil Jackson (who has just been blessed with good talent) to become really well known in the NBA.

And more money doesnt always mean a better job. Im sure that Tubby Smith realizes right now that Minnesota is a better job than Kentucky in many respects (so is Tennessee).

And Pearl would be terrible in the NBA. Part of what makes him successful is his attitude, and the NBA players would just laugh at that and go on playing their boring, selfish excuse for basketball.

Also, Pearl is already liked by more people than Fulmer is at this point. Will never be as liked as Summit, but does have an opportunity to become one of the most popular coaches in the game. Yes, he can do that at Tennessee. Yes, it will take 10 or more years playing at a high level. But it can be done.
04-14-2008 08:08 AM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

He may be as liked, but he'll never be the boss. Fulmer is the boss at UT. That isn't going to change.

I agree the NBA is a terrible sport to watch. I have no idea why you're taking shots at the NHL, which is more popular than the NBA according to a recent Harris poll and has increasing TV ratings compared to basketball's declining ratings, but regardless.

But the fact is, at UT you'd always be the third-string. With the Knicks, you could be the biggest name coach in basketball.

How is Tubby realizing Minnesota is better than Kentucky?
04-14-2008 08:59 AM
kevster Offline
1st String

Uhm. I believe I was referring to your guarantee that Pearl would leave Tennessee for Indiana. Seems like you missed that one, friend.

You bet, I'd trade the lady vols championship for a football title. So would most vol fans.

Got nothing to do with it. Let me check the Knoxville whitepages.com...

Hang on ....

Yep. There it is. He still lives in Knoxville.

And, I was in Bloomington, Indiana three weeks ago ... and not one person mentioned they thought Pearl was going to end up there. Hmmmm.

By the way, not that it matters. But I turned down the opportunity for an incredibly high profile job at a major university last week - with a salary more than twice what I'm making now.

It's not always about the money. I kind of like the pace of life here. I suspect Bruce does, too.
04-14-2008 09:12 AM
Advertisement

PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

If you have a coach who is satisfied with being third-string for the rest of his life you have to wonder how good he is.
04-14-2008 09:23 AM
kevster Offline
1st String

Uhmmm. Let me look.

Hang on...

Yes, he's STILL here in Knoxville.

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Tennessee coach Bruce Pearl was awarded the Adolph Rupp Cup, recognizing the coach of the year.

The award is given along with the Adolph Rupp Award for player of the year by the Commonwealth Athletic Club of Kentucky.

North Carolina's Tyler Hansbrough was awarded player of the year.

Commonwealth Athletic Club spokesman Gerry Calvert, a former player of the legendary Kentucky coach, says Pearl is the type Coach Rupp would have loved to compete against because of his passion.

Pearl led his Volunteers this season to a program-best 31 wins, their first outright regular season Southeastern Conference title in 41 years and their first No. 1 ranking in history.

A committee of over 40 present and retired sportswriters, coaches, broadcasters and sports administrators voted.

Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
04-14-2008 09:27 AM
etsubuc Offline
All American

PittsburghBucs Wrote:How is Tubby realizing Minnesota is better than Kentucky?

Tubby averages 26 wins per season at Kentucky, but it was never good enough for UK fans (including me, i loved UK as a kid and very much with Pitino were still there). But we all hated his slow paced games, even though he was a great coach looking objectively about it.

Now he comes to Minnesota (for about the same money), takes a 8-22 team to 20-13, and has much less pressure on him. So for the same money, he has a job that has less pressure and people will think he is a saint if he ever gets them to the elite 8. To me, thats a better job in many respects.
04-14-2008 12:59 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

That's like saying it's better to act in a community theatre here in Johnson City than in Hollywood.
04-14-2008 01:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.