Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Who's Better? 1991 ETSU or 2008 Davidson?
Bookmark and Share
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I Root For: Justice
Who's Better? 1991 ETSU or 2008 Davidson?
I can't believe we haven't discussed this yet, but, then again, since I think in our hearts we know the answer, that might be the reason.

As we see the accomplishments of various mid-majors, such as Chattanooga in '97, George Mason in '05, and Davidson this year, I think the legacy of "Those Bucs" is fading away.

Futhermore, I think the final legacy of "Those Bucs" might have been underachievement- not beating Iowa- not beating Oklahoma- and falling to the gutter just three years after the run.

Regardless, the '91 team is regarded as the strongest of ETSU's teams of that era.

So, who's better?

FOR DAVIDSON-

Wildcats were undefeated in the Southern Conference. ETSU was 17-3, I believe.

Wildcats went to the Elite Eight. ETSU were one and done against a beatable team- and as a 10 seed.

FOR ETSU-

ETSU was higher ranked that season.

ETSU enjoyed a longer reign at the top of the conference, though the jury's still out on that one. Still, if we are looking at ONE SEASON- then how relevant is this?
04-06-2008 09:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BucNut22 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU, MICH, UC
RE: Who's Better? 1991 ETSU or 2008 Davidson?
It depends on your definition of "better", if better is about what your accomplished than its an easy choice, its Davidson. If better is who had the better team(talent wise) than its ETSU IMO. If the two teams were to play I think ETSU would win, I'd take the three or four headed monster of Jennings, Talford, and English over the two headed one of Curry, and Richardson. I have to think they`d find a way to contain Curry, or at the very least outscore Davidson.

I think you're on the money Pitt that those ETSU teams underachieved, but running into the Fab 5 from Michigan will do that to you lol.
04-06-2008 11:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Notice I DIDN'T mention that in my post as an underacheivement.

I thought the same thing about the talent, but let me ask you if you'd rather have Bob McKillop or Alan LeForce?

I like LeForce. I've stated I think he was the third-greatest coach in ETSU history behind Brooks and DeChellis.

But I think I'd rather have McKillop.
04-06-2008 01:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kevster Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Bucs!!! Back
That's a tough call, Pitt. Both teams were good and I don't think either overachieved. They were just both that good.

ETSU made it up to #6 (in USA Today/Coaches poll). I think it was 3 or 4 steps below that in the Associated Press.

Davidson definitely handled tournament play better. Both teams were disappointed with their seeds. ETSU lost, probably partially because they had a hard time getting up after the seeding, while Davidson found a way to win, win and win again.

Both teams were good. If they played each other 10 times, I'd guess they'd come out close to even.
04-06-2008 01:43 PM
Advertisement

RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Year by year NCAA run

1st year.. Lets see losing to the 1 seed(with 3 future NBA players on it) by 1 point with a team made up of Sophmores and Freshmen is an under achievment?? in what world do you live in?? We were the 3rd or 4th seed in the SoCon tournament.
Jennings fouling out allowed Blaylock to take over down the stretch.

2nd year they ran into Kenny Anderson and Lethal Weapon 3.. I believe 4 players on that Georgia Tech team went pro.

3rd year Talford gets hurt in SoCon tournament. That gets us hosed in the tournament seeding wise and we lose a close game to A.C. Earl & Iowa without one of our best players.

4th year upset Arizona and run in Michigan Fab 5.

No I see lots of great achievements during those years.
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2008 01:51 PM by RodShaw2.)
04-06-2008 01:46 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

1st Year- Here goes that ETSU loser thinking again.

WHen you have a 15-point lead on that team, when you can't score in the last 6+ minutes of the game, and when your "last second shot" with four seconds left becomes a half-court prayer it IS underachievement.

If the No. 64 football team leads the No. 1 football team 21-0 late in the second quarter and then winds up losing 24-21 on a last second field goal, No. 64 doesn't start saying "LOOK AT US! LOOK HOW WELL WE DID! SURE WE COULDA HAD THE MOMENTUM AND CONTENDED FOR A JAN. 1 BOWL GAME WITH A VICTORY AND IT WOULD HAVE TURNED OUR SEASON AROUND, BUT, WELL, WE ONLY LOST BY A FIELD GOAL AT THE END TO NO. 1! YAAAAAAAY!"

So why is this different?

B- Didn't say the '90 Bucs underacheived.

C- And if Kimo Von Olehoffen doesn't knock Carson Palmer out of the game- the Steelers don't win the Super Bowl in 2005-06, right?

I mean, that's the same arguement, isn't it?

Not saying Calvin Talford wasn't a factor. I am saying for a team I saw The Sporting News mention as a Final Four candidate I'm wanting more than a three-point loss to the No. 7 seed in the first round.

D- Did not say the '92 Bucs underacheived.

E- Acheivement? I see more of ETSU fans settling for second best and just happy with making the NCAAs when even the national media gets behind the program and says they can do more.

But, then again, the national media doesn't have UT envy.
04-06-2008 03:44 PM
Chatta-Buc84 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ETSU, SHHS
PittsburghBucs Wrote:I like LeForce. I've stated I think he was the third-greatest coach in ETSU history behind Brooks and DeChellis.

I've got to disagree with this. LeForce could obviously coach, but apparently he could not recruit. He's not in the class of DeChellis, sorry I have no memory of Brooks, I'm not that old. Overall LeForce I don't believe is as good as Bartow.

Robinson & LeForce were a good team. My observation is that Robinson was a good recruiter & motivator, LeForce is a good X's & O's guy.

I'm not a reporter, I've never been an athelete myself, just a fan, but I don't see how you can call someone that ran the team from a victory over Arizona in the NCAA down to losing 20 games a year a great coach. LeForce did wonderful things with the talent that Robinson left him (more than Robinson could do with them), but he could not keep it going.
04-06-2008 04:49 PM
Advertisement

PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

LeForce brought in Keith Jennings.

He most certainly could recruit. Perhaps not at the end, but somebody established the College of Charleston program before John Kresse.

Let me ask you this- was Tom Landry a great coach? I think he was- and the Cowboys were terrible at the end.

Was Connie Mack a great manager? Check out his record for the last 18 years of his career. John McGraw retired in last place on a team that won the World Series the next year.

Jackie Sherrill was 3-8 at Mississippi State in his final years.

When LeForce was good, he was very, very good. When LeForce was bad- yeah, he was bad. You wonder how he left with only one eligible player.

But after looking at Les Robinson's N.C. State career, I do not know if he could have kept the Bucs at the level they were at, either.
04-06-2008 06:09 PM
BucDoctor Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa, ETSU
In 91 ETSU was defeated by the best team Michigan's money could buy. Because the Wolverines had such disregard for the N$C$A$A rules we will never know how good that team was.
04-06-2008 08:13 PM
kevster Offline
1st String

Doc,

I don't remember, but it seems like Michigan was forced to forfeit all their wins one year - due to probation. If that's true, was it the year they faced the bucs in the tourney?

I could be dreaming, but it seems like they did have to forfeit a season.
04-07-2008 08:09 AM
Advertisement

BucDoctor Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa, ETSU
kevster Wrote:Doc,

I don't remember, but it seems like Michigan was forced to forfeit all their wins one year - due to probation. If that's true, was it the year they faced the bucs in the tourney?

Yes I believe Michigan forfeited the game to ETSU.
04-07-2008 08:37 AM
kevster Offline
1st String

So, officially, I guess the bucs had two wins during that tournament.
04-07-2008 08:39 AM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

No- no- no- GUYS!

People actually posted on here years ago that the Bucs should hang a Sweet 16 banner up at Memorial Center when Michigan forfeited.

If they did, ETSU would be the only college basketball team in the country that would have their banners laughed at. It would be more humiliating than the huge "1994 New York Times Poll National Champions!" sign on the outside of Beaver Stadium.

Of course, by unretiring Tom Chiltons number ETSU in effect laughed at their own banners . . .
04-07-2008 10:20 AM
JWBUC Offline
1st String

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
Davidson.

Ask anybody else in the country but us Buc fans and you get that answer.
04-07-2008 07:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.