Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Atlantic Sun Adding Football?
Bookmark and Share
KSUowl0003 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Kennesaw State
Atlantic Sun Adding Football?
The return of football to East Tennessee State University may be on the horizon.

But if football eventually does make a comeback at ETSU, it could look much different than it did when the Buccaneers’ now-dormant program played its final game, a last-second 16-14 win over The Citadel on Nov. 22, 2003, at Memorial Center.

A proposal to create an independent conference for non-scholarship football teams composed of Atlantic Sun member schools is now in the beginning stages.

"The question of football in our conference has come up multiple times throughout our history," Atlantic Sun Commissioner Ted Gumbart said. "It makes sense to be a topic of discussion. ... It’s certainly something that we will continue to monitor, as far as the needs of our membership."

Gumbart said ETSU, Campbell, Jacksonville, Mercer and Kennesaw State are among the schools that would be considered if such a conference was formed.

"It’s something that we have on our radar screen," Gumbart said. "We will continue to monitor the number of schools that are interested in or are currently participating in non-scholarship football. So, I think it’s fair to say that we’ll continue to be sensitive to that and try to be able to act when and if the circumstances dictate that we could help meet our memberships’ needs with a new sport."

He said a previously scheduled meeting between university presidents, set for June 3-5 in Daytona Beach, Fla., would be the first realistic opportunity to discuss the proposal.

"What we’ll try to find out with our [member university] presidents as we move along is ... we’ll see what their preference is," Gumbart said. "Whether there’s real interest, or whether there’s passing interest. ... I think our presidents will have the input on that."
04-02-2008 06:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Nick M Offline
1st String

DonatorsDonators
RE: Atlantic Sun Adding Football?
Real interest in scholarship football FTW!
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2008 08:17 AM by Nick M.)
04-02-2008 08:17 AM
Advertisement

KSUowl0003 Offline
Bench Warmer

Baby Steps Baby Steps

At least they are still talking about it
04-02-2008 06:51 PM
Nick M Offline
1st String

DonatorsDonators
This is a baby step down the wrong non-scholly road.
04-03-2008 09:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.