Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
RichRod can't get no love
frogman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse
RichRod can't get no love
Lineman Boren says he left Michigan because 'family values have eroded'

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Offensive lineman Justin Boren says he's left the Michigan football team because the program's "family values have eroded."

The 6-foot-3, 310-pound Boren would have been one of two returning starters on the offensive line next season and the Wolverines' most experienced lineman. The junior-to-be started every game last season, either at center or left guard.

Boren left the team Monday. On Wednesday he released a statement saying in part: "Michigan football was a family, built on mutual respect and support for each other from [former] Coach [Lloyd] Carr on down. We knew it took the entire family, a team effort, and we all worked together.

"I have great trouble accepting that those family values have eroded in just a few months. " ... That I am unable to perform under these circumstances at the level I expect of myself, and my teammates and Michigan fans deserve, is why I have made the decision to leave."

Boren told reporters after Michigan's first spring practice 10 days ago that adapting to new coach Rich Rodriguez's no-huddle spread offense was physically challenging. He mentioned the difficulty the offensive linemen had constantly running to the line of scrimmage.

In comments reported by The Detroit News, Detroit Free Press and The Ann Arbor News, Rodriguez said Tuesday that he would not discuss Boren's decision.

"I don't know if we'll have any more [attrition], but we're forging ahead with guys that play for Michigan," the coach said.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3314282
03-27-2008 05:57 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
RE: RichRod can't get no love
I guess he's too tough on 'em. It sounds to me like sour grapes from somebody who wasn't going to play for the new coach unless he worked his butt, and some fat, off - and he wasn't willing to do so.

As much as I'd like to see Rod fail in Ann Arbor, I don't see this as a sign of a trend.
03-27-2008 06:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

I Root For: RU, SJU, UConn
The strange thing is that this guy is a returning starter ... at Michigan of all places ... and he is complaining about having to run up to the line of scrimmage. It seems like that little nugget of information simply reinforces why so many people have thought of Michigan football, and Big Ten football for that matter, as boring and slow over the years.
03-27-2008 10:15 PM
Advertisement

MichiganTiger Offline
The Right Honorable

I Root For: the UofMs

Donators
Quote:The new coach has been open in his disappointment about how unprepared the current team was to meet his expectations for pace and style of play.

He's demanding more.

That's not a bad thing, unless perhaps you're an offensive lineman tired of running wind sprints.

Anyone who watched Michigan lose to Appalachian State and Oregon to open last season had to question whether a renewed emphasis on strength and conditioning wasn't overdue.

So, yeah, it appears we're back to "Those who stay will be champions."

Carty column: Thirty-plus years of experience says the Michigan family remains in good hands
03-28-2008 12:59 AM
LaRue777 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WVU,ECU,MI
RR had problems with some players when he first arrived at WVU too. Several left the team and he was not particularly well liked.

I'm not sure what the business is about the Michigan family. Just an excuse I guess. The WVU squad seemed pretty tight.
03-28-2008 06:14 AM
Advertisement

goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
well we all know how well things have been going in mich under CARR. maybe things needed to be stirred.
03-28-2008 07:29 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Screw the Michigan family... 05-mafia
03-28-2008 08:31 AM
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
LaRue777 Wrote:RR had problems with some players when he first arrived at WVU too. Several left the team and he was not particularly well liked.

I'm not sure what the business is about the Michigan family. Just an excuse I guess. The WVU squad seemed pretty tight.

-- Exactly right...which is why I find the current stuff in Michigan so suprising...I would have guess RR would have matured since his early days in Morgantown and would not run off UM players so quickly...Scotty McBrien and Sean Berton were two pretty good players who transferred to ACC schools that RR showed the door to at WVU...Losing McBrien turned out to be a huge error in hindsight

Quote:As much as I'd like to see Rod fail in Ann Arbor, I don't see this as a sign of a trend.

-- Seems this is just Rich being Rich...and as much as i hate to say it he will do fine at UM....If you can win at Glenville St you can win at Michigan

Jackson
03-29-2008 11:33 AM
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
well, fine won't be enough. He has to win the B10 and play in the rose bowl. Wait until their fans see 4-5 turnovers a game. It will be a rough start until he gets his own players, imo.
03-29-2008 07:26 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

He won't do that next year. But then he isn't expected to. I figure he's got a couple years grace as long as Michigan beats Michigan State.
03-29-2008 07:38 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.