Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Congressional Bowl???
Bookmark and Share
E-zone Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Congressional Bowl???
Interesting that Navy is looking to more or less start a Bowl game so they will have a tie-in. They sound like they could team-up with the other service academies to provide conference like options, so it's not the same team every year... So when will their be to many Bowls? How many teams had good enough records to go to bowl last year but could get an invite?
I still hear rumblings about a new St. Petersburg Bowl is trying to get started and IMO 34 Bowls is just to many...
But between the two I would bet the Congressional Bowl would get the nod from the NCAA before a Bowl in St. Petersburg. Since their is not a Bowl for the Indy schools, because of the tie-ins with the different conferences.
So if the ACC moves out of the H-Bowl for the Congressional Bowl the MWC go after the H-Bowl?
IMO, they should...
Here is a link to the Congressional Bowl rumblings;
http://www.hometownannapolis.com/cgi-bin..._23-63/NAS

02-13-banana
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2008 11:06 AM by E-zone.)
03-26-2008 05:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

E-zone Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
RE: Congressional Bowl???
Here is a link on the St Petersburg Bowl from today;
http://www.dailymail.com/Sports/WVUSports/200803270026

05-mafia
03-27-2008 11:09 AM
E-zone Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
More on the proposed Congressional Bowl, ACC vs Service Academies;
http://insidecharmcity.com/2008/03/30/pr...-navy-acc/

05-stirthepot
04-04-2008 11:47 PM
E-zone Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Rocky Mountain Bowl
It looks like a group from Salt Lake City has submitted a proposal to the NCAA for certification for the Rocky Mountain Bowl which would feature MWC and WAC teams.
This is an interesting comment from Richard Giannini (chairman of the NCAA Licensing Subcommittee):
Quote:"The worst thing would be to sanction a new bowl and not have enough teams to fill those bowls,"
Not sure if it will have an impact or not, but looking at the Bowl proposed;
Rocky Mountain Bowl- MWC's 5th, WAC's 4th
Congressional Bowl- Armed Forces tie-in, ACC's 9th (?)
St. Petersburg Bowl- Big East's 7th, C-USA's 6th or 7th

Here is the link;
http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,5143,695271457,00.html

05-mafia
04-18-2008 09:45 AM
E-zone Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Another link from a different Salt Lake paper;
http://www.sltrib.com/ci_8969434

05-mafia
04-18-2008 12:44 PM
templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
Is Salt Lake bowl nesseccary, Hate to count on at-large, but last 7 win team to sit home was Lous T a couple yrs ago.
04-19-2008 04:21 PM
Advertisement

goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
my feeling is Dc, and Tampa will get approved.. they may hold off on salt lake.. and see how well bowls are filled this year. I imagine that navy would like to work out a 2 bowl sharing plan. one with a west coast bowl and then DC.. where they have a spot open every year in 2 locations depending on the year. ACC will drop boise and replace it with DC. If they can find someone else in the east they likely also leave emerald bowl
04-20-2008 08:10 AM
E-zone Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
templefootballfan Wrote:Is Salt Lake bowl nesseccary, Hate to count on at-large, but last 7 win team to sit home was Lous T a couple yrs ago.

7-5 TCU or 8-4 New Mexico came close last year to setting home. The MWC really needs another Bowl tie-in.... Last 3 year the MWC had 5 teams Bowl eligible, last year TCU was 7-5, Utah was 8-4, New Mexico was 8-4, Air Force was 9-3, and BYU was 10-2. Luckily for the MWC the Texas Bowl took TCU as an at-large bid and the MWC didn't have to go 3 straight with a Bowl eligible team setting home (2 straight year was enough). In 2006 Wyoming tied for 3rd in the MWC set home with a 6-6 record, while the New Mexico Bowl took 5th place New Mexico who also had a 6-6 record. In 2005 a 6-5 New Mexico could not find a Bowl game (thus the New Mexico Bowl came about in 2006).
I would not be surprised to see 6 MWC teams Bowl eligible in 2008.

05-stirthepot
04-20-2008 02:49 PM
E-zone Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
goodknightfl Wrote:my feeling is Dc, and Tampa will get approved.. they may hold off on salt lake.. and see how well bowls are filled this year. I imagine that navy would like to work out a 2 bowl sharing plan. one with a west coast bowl and then DC.. where they have a spot open every year in 2 locations depending on the year. ACC will drop boise and replace it with DC. If they can find someone else in the east they likely also leave emerald bowl

IMO, the St. Petersburg Bowl may have a hard time getting approved because of this;
Quote:Southern Mississippi athletic director Richard Giannini, who is chairman of the NCAA Licensing Subcommittee, told USA Today that the group will look at those numbers in making their decisions.

"The worst thing would be to sanction a new bowl and not have enough teams to fill those bowls," he said.

Were the MWC and WAC both have had Bowl eligible setting home. Last year Hawaii made a BC$ Bowl or Nevada would have been stuck home and TCU took advantage of an unfilled Texas Bowl tie-in.

I would rate them like this:
Best chance- Congressional Bowl
Next- Rocky Mountain Bowl
Last- St. Petersburg Bowl

Just because that is how I see the highest demand for the need of a Bowl game.

05-stirthepot
04-20-2008 03:01 PM
Heisman

I'd rather see Seattle bowl come back, it would work if the west bowls worked together. I tought seattle bowl would work, but Pac-10 kept sending the wrong team.
04-21-2008 11:42 AM
E-zone Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
templefootballfan Wrote:I'd rather see Seattle bowl come back, it would work if the west bowls worked together. I tought seattle bowl would work, but Pac-10 kept sending the wrong team.

Pac 10 vs ACC, in Seattle??? The Pac 10 is a very funny animal, they don't support their teams in the lower Bowls. Las Vegas Bowl is a good example, both Oregon and UCLA only sold around 6,000 of their 12,000 allotted tickets. Of coarse BYU fans were happy that BYU got extra 6,000 tickets each year and quickly purchased them from BYU (as soon as they were turned over to BYU). I think in 2005 California may have sold 7,000 or 8,000 (tops), turned the rest over to BYU and the quickly sold those out too... In 2004, Wyoming had around double the amount of fans as UCLA had at the game. The Pac 10 as far as I know has never sold their 12,000 allotted tickets to the Las Vegas Bowl. But those same teams would pack the Rose Bowl and Holiday Bowl. They feel the lower Bowls are beneath their team, the Seattle Bowl kind of fell into the this category (Washington would have packed the place, but never made it there in either year).

05-mafia
04-21-2008 11:34 PM
Advertisement

Heisman

that's my point, in 2 yrs bowl was around, Wash was sent to Sun, with Stanford in Sea. Next yr Wash could have ended up in SEATTLE with a little bit of effort
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2008 09:45 AM by templefootballfan.)
04-22-2008 05:28 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
good deal for navy, ACC, and the Mac
04-23-2008 08:08 AM
Heisman

How much is the weather going to effect this game.
04-23-2008 08:12 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
depends on the year..
04-23-2008 09:33 PM
E-zone Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
templefootballfan Wrote:How much is the weather going to effect this game.

I would think that, you could give us a pretty good idea what the weather is like in Washington DC (don't you live only around a hour to 2 hours way from DC?)....

02-13-banana
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2008 11:47 PM by E-zone.)
04-23-2008 11:46 PM
Advertisement

Heisman

I like the idea of Wash DC bowl, however bowls need good starts to surive. Navy vs 6-6 ACC school would work on mild day in Dec. I been to alot of Army-Navy games, somes times the weather great, other times I froze. Navy has a new coach and the jury is still out, Johnson made alot of guttsie call that panned out. we''ll have to see if new coach has they same feel for the game. ACC will have tough time getting 9 bowl eliable schools. MAC - Sun Belt matchup on bitter cold day will kill this bowl 1st yr. At this point I'll take Temple vs 6-6 MD or Virg on nice day & maybe this bowl gets off on the right foot. Temple plays Navy this yr, so I'm assumming that they try & avoid rematch, unless they have no choice
04-24-2008 07:57 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
odds are it will be Navy vs Mac till the next bowl renewals.. then ACC can give its #8
04-28-2008 06:03 AM
Heisman

I would think that ACC would prefer GMAC bowl if game stays with C-USA for # 8. For # 7 ACC might have shot at Hous or Independece. When Birmingham builds dome, I suspect intrest starts growing for that game
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2008 07:13 PM by templefootballfan.)
04-29-2008 07:08 PM
Heisman

Congressional bowl got a big boast with BE giving up Hous bowl. IF BE has 7 bowl eligable this yr, BE will look to Wash
05-04-2008 11:11 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.