ESPN preseason BE preview
UltimateCFBfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: R! U! RAH! RAH!
ESPN preseason BE preview
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3265145

Here's the ranking based on what we know, and what we don't:

1. West Virginia Mountaineers
What we know: With the entire offensive line back, along with White and Noel Devine, the Mountaineers can again have a high-powered offense.
What we don't know: WVU runs a 3-3-5 stack defense, and four of the five players in the secondary must be replaced. The Mountaineers also lost two of three up front.
How the Mountaineers can win the Big East: Keep the offense moving forward and reload the defense. Oh, and beat Pitt.

Big East Spring Primer

Take a quick look at the position battles, coaching changes and other key factors to pay attention to during spring practices around the Big East. Heather Dinich
2. USF Bulls
What we know: The defense will be powered by junior defensive end George Selvie, who led the nation in tackles for loss (31.5) and was second nationally in sacks (14.5).
What we don't know: How will the defense adjust to the loss of assistant head coach and defensive line coach Dan McCarney?
How the Bulls can win the Big East: On the right shoulder of Matt Grothe.

3. Louisville Cardinals
What we know: The Cardinals have strong depth at running back with Brock Bolen and George Stripling. They should be productive behind center Eric Wood, who has started 37 straight games, and offensive tackle George Bussey.
What we don't know: If the defense will rebound in 2008. The linebacker position is completely depleted, and the defensive staff has a new look with former Michigan coordinator Ron English at the helm.
How the Cardinals can win the Big East: Louisville has to take advantage of its eight home games and get back to playing sound defense.

4. Rutgers Scarlet Knights
What we know: The Scarlet Knights had a 3,000-yard passer, 2,000-yard rusher and a pair of 1,000-yard receivers last season -- and three of those four players are back. Three of four starters return to a secondary that ranked fifth nationally in pass defense.
What we don't know: The offensive line will be missing three starters from the group that paved the way for Ray Rice. How quickly will their replacements adjust?
How the Scarlet Knights can win the Big East: Keep quarterback Mike Teel healthy. There was a noticeable difference in his game after he hurt his thumb in the third game of the season, and his backups are unproven.

5. Cincinnati Bearcats
What we know: Gone is quarterback Ben Mauk, but 16 starters return, including Kevin Huber, the nation's top punter, and standout defenders Mike Mickens (six interceptions) and Terrill Byrd (eight sacks).
What we don't know: Who will take over at quarterback.
How the Bearcats can win the Big East: Continue to adhere to coach Brian Kelly's philosophies and develop consistency at quarterback quickly.

6. Pittsburgh Panthers
What we know: Two of the best players at their respective positions return in linebacker Scott McKillop, who led the country in tackles, and tailback LeSean McCoy, the leading freshman rusher in the country with 110.7 yards per game.
What we don't know: The Panthers haven't been an effective passing team because of the inexperience. Can this year's quarterback change that, and who will it be?
How the Panthers can win the Big East: Find the balanced offense that was missing last year and play the same stingy defense.

7. Connecticut Huskies
What we know: The Huskies will be able to run the ball with juniors Donald Brown and Andre Dixon -- the team's top two rushers -- back.
What we don't know: Will the receivers be more of a passing threat and can the team sustain its momentum from its share of the 2007 Big East title?
How the Huskies can win the Big East: Road wins at South Florida, Rutgers and Louisville would help.

8. Syracuse Orange
What we know: After winning just two games last season and only seven total in his first three years, coach Greg Robinson needs a miracle season to save his job.
What we don't know: How on earth the Orange can dramatically and quickly improve upon their 2007 rankings in total offense (No. 114) and total defense (No. 111).
How the Orange can win the Big East: Start with a coaching change.
02-26-2008 05:55 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
RE: ESPN preseason BE preview
RUTGERS WINS IT ALL BY A LANDSLIDE!!!!

02-13-banana 02-13-banana :ncaabbs: :ncaabbs: 04-bow 04-bow 05-mafia 05-mafia 05-stirthepot 04-cheers
02-26-2008 06:12 PM
Jugnaut Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
Pitt has to do better than 6th or Wanny is gone. Also 3 seems a little high for louisville.
02-26-2008 08:33 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
I have a feeling that Pitt will end up being the team to beat when it's all said and done. Unless Wannstedt gets in the way.
02-26-2008 09:48 PM
UCbball21 Offline
All American

Cincy at 5th, come on...that's what happens when you let a girl do a mans job. Obviously she didn't research what Grutza did last season or Demetrius Jones from ND.
02-26-2008 09:52 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
UCbball21 Wrote:Cincy at 5th, come on...that's what happens when you let a girl do a mans job. Obviously she didn't research what Grutza did last season or Demetrius Jones from ND.

Obviously, these guys are on crack. They think Rice is coming back for RU. Maybe I'm the one on the moon, did he change his mind?
02-27-2008 09:00 AM
Advertisement

Bearcat T Offline
All American

I Root For:
what was she smoking?
02-27-2008 10:45 AM
LaRue777 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WVU,ECU,MI
Are you sure this wasn't for the 2007 season??
02-27-2008 10:54 AM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
No it was this coming season. But where are is it saying that Ray Rice is coming back?
02-27-2008 11:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
vinman3 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WVU & Big 12
UCbball21 Wrote:Cincy at 5th, come on...that's what happens when you let a girl do a mans job. Obviously she didn't research what Grutza did last season or Demetrius Jones from ND.

Will Jones have to sit out this year too, or does last year count?
02-27-2008 11:04 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

mattsarz Wrote:No it was this coming season. But where are is it saying that Ray Rice is coming back?

Didn't really say it, but seems to imply as much:

Quote:The offensive line will be missing three starters from the group that paved the way for Ray Rice. How quickly will their replacements adjust?

Maybe I'm mistaken.
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2008 11:13 AM by Ring of Black.)
02-27-2008 11:13 AM
Advertisement

uconnbaseball Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Divorce, Rivals
The Parliament Awards
UConn should definitely finish in 6th place, at worst, in conference. Expect Pitt to finally get to a bowl game (and consequently finish in the top 1/2 of the Big East if they steal a win at UConn or Cincy) and Cincy to finish in the Top 3.

Louisville at #3 is interesting-they can get to a bowl game but I doubt they finish ahead of the bearcats, at the very least.

Honestly 1-7 is so close right now you can arrange the teams in any order, so long WVU is in the Top 3. That's how deep the Big East will be. As an aside, I thouroughly expect UConn to beat both ACC team on our schedule to avenge our embarrassing 2nd half showing at the Meinke Car Care Bowl. Remember, we had a ten point lead at the break before our offense, particularly Lorenzen, collapsed. If Zach Frazer (highly touted transfer from Notre Dame that was impressive last year in practice) can step up to the plate, UConn will be tough for anyone to beat...except for the WVU team that beat us and Oklahoma into a coma. WVU owes us a bad game!
02-27-2008 03:16 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
UCONN won't finish 7th in the league. USF gonna get hit losing two top CBs. Cincy gonna lose their QB so there will be a drop off. People understood how good Mauck is. Pitt is still debatable. UCONN returns almost the entire team.
02-27-2008 03:49 PM
UCbball21 Offline
All American

Demetrius Jones is a far better athlete than Mauk, and with 16 starters returning their will be no drop-off...
02-27-2008 06:35 PM
Fanatical Offline
lost in dreams of hops & barley

I Root For: South Park Cows
vinman3 Wrote:

Will Jones have to sit out this year too, or does last year count?

With UC's quarter system and late start he was able to transfer before classes started, and essentially already sat out his year.
02-27-2008 06:53 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

UCbball21 Wrote:Demetrius Jones is a far better athlete than Mauk, and with 16 starters returning their will be no drop-off...

You forgot experience. Mauck has a ton of experience even before he got to Cincy. I really thought he made a lot of plays on his own last year. Also you gonna lost Nakamura too. RU is losing Rice as well. Who knows what will happen with UL. They could improve or could suck for another year without Brohm. Comparing to these teams, UCONN is far more stable.

I think the BE is wide open.
02-27-2008 07:25 PM
Advertisement

Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

SF Husky Wrote:
UCbball21 Wrote:Demetrius Jones is a far better athlete than Mauk, and with 16 starters returning their will be no drop-off...

You forgot experience. Mauck has a ton of experience even before he got to Cincy. I really thought he made a lot of plays on his own last year. Also you gonna lost Nakamura too. RU is losing Rice as well. Who knows what will happen with UL. They could improve or could suck for another year without Brohm. Comparing to these teams, UCONN is far more stable.

I think the BE is wide open.

I agree with about everything you wrote here. But any concerns seem to be addressed.

The safety position does concern me a bit, but we're getting a stud corner, OSU transfer Brandon Underwood. One scenario has him starting and DeAngelo Smith making the move to FS. That would go a long way toward solving that.

The new QB situation is one reason for UC fans to like this five-OOC game thing. It'll afford Mauk's heir another week to get going. Remember, Kelly had a pretty good team at CMU two years ago with a freshman QB.

Defensive end needs to be shored up, with Nelms the only one with significant experience. Offensive line will feature a lot of young-uns, so they'll need more work than the new QB. Probably a more important situation as well.
02-27-2008 08:32 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
Frankly, I thought ESPN's spring blurb on all the teams pretty worthless when all is said and done. They gave vague general comments that told you absolutely nothing. All it did was whet the football fans' appetite for something substantial. It won't happen until fall.

Spring ball doesn't tell you anything worthwhile. You don't have the team intact. Every year freshmen and juco transfers make a big impact somewhere.
02-28-2008 07:49 AM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

Yes the ranking is a joke. The author probably never seen anything BE football. People on the UCONN board are laughing at it big time. UL at #3 after losing Brohm? Are these guys on crack with this ranking?
02-29-2008 07:17 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
I think they'd be stuttering if they were on crack. Although, the editor could edit all that out.
03-01-2008 07:54 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.