Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Somebody on UL Rivals board is saying UL to play Memphis in FB
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed
Somebody on UL Rivals board is saying UL to play Memphis in FB
This season! Has anyone else heard this?

http://www.louisville.rivals.com/showmsg...23&style=2
02-10-2008 09:48 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: Somebody on UL Rivals board is saying UL to play Memphis in FB
I'm kind of shocked that Louisville agreed to it considering the hard feelings, if this is true. I know that Memphis turned down Cincinnati's overtures to play a football series a few years ago. And there has been no talk of extending the basketball series.
02-10-2008 12:30 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed
CatsClaw Wrote:I'm kind of shocked that Louisville agreed to it considering the hard feelings, if this is true. I know that Memphis turned down Cincinnati's overtures to play a football series a few years ago. And there has been no talk of extending the basketball series.

I've been saying for years that if Jurich is as good of an AD as everyone thinks he is then he wouldn't let personal feelings get in the way of wise business deicisions. That being said, I think the stories about the "hard feelings" have been somewhat overblown. I don't think there is as much there as some people make it out to be.
02-10-2008 01:33 PM
klg316 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
3601 Wrote:
CatsClaw Wrote:I'm kind of shocked that Louisville agreed to it considering the hard feelings, if this is true. I know that Memphis turned down Cincinnati's overtures to play a football series a few years ago. And there has been no talk of extending the basketball series.

I've been saying for years that if Jurich is as good of an AD as everyone thinks he is then he wouldn't let personal feelings get in the way of wise business deicisions. That being said, I think the stories about the "hard feelings" have been somewhat overblown. I don't think there is as much there as some people make it out to be.

My understanding is that it is more of a Pitino-Calipari thing than a Jurich-Johnson thing.
02-10-2008 02:08 PM
TegaCayCard Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Louisville
The poster, tvcard and cardpride on the Scout board, is golden with his data so it appears you can take that one to the bank. I am surprise about it, toom but really a nice set up in Louisville, Memphis and Nashville. It is a rivalry game and it is easy for fans to get for both teams. Sounds like a winner to me.

Let's face facts, scheduling is very difficult now and Jurich did put away hard feelings for RC to help put this together, a clear winner for Memphis and Louisville fans.
02-10-2008 03:48 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

3601 Wrote:

I don't think so either. I actually think that Jurich was more upset with C-USA then Memphis when it came to staying in the conference for an extra year. Another thing people forget is that the Big East came out and said that they weren't in a hurry to rush Louisville, Cincinnati and others into the Big East one year earlier. I don't think the Louisville/Memphis thing is nearly as big a deal as people make it out to be.
02-10-2008 04:30 PM
Advertisement

CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

klg316 Wrote:
3601 Wrote:

My understanding is that it is more of a Pitino-Calipari thing than a Jurich-Johnson thing.

I always found that interesting. Part of Memphis problem in getting into the Big East, a smaller problem, but a problem nonetheless, was that coaches like Calhoun and I believe Boeheim, didn't care to much for Calipari. Why, I don't know. I've never heard any rumors of Calipari recruiting scandals so who knows. Calhoun and Boeheim pushed hard for UC to get into the Big East because of Bob Huggins, I do know that.
02-10-2008 04:33 PM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
If this is true I think it is great that Memphis is trying to schedule games with at least one BE team. Personally I think Memphis, UCF, and ECU should be scheduling at least 1 to 2 games a year with BE schools for FB and BB knowing that there is a potential oppurtunity to get into the BE - a BCS conference in the next couple of years. Burning bridges by not honoring contracts or completely ignoring playing oppurtunities to build a rapport with a conference that has interest in your school for future conference affiliation just does not make sense at all.
02-10-2008 05:11 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
klg316 Wrote:
3601 Wrote:

I don't think the Pitino-Calipari thing is as bad as some make it out to be.

As a matter of fact last month at the King of the Bluegrass Basketball Tournament they were seen sitting together and seemed like they were having a good time.
02-10-2008 05:12 PM
Psicosis Offline
Remain in Light

I Root For: Memphis

Crappies
This is awesome, and can only be a good sign about where our relationship with our brothers currently stands.
02-10-2008 05:36 PM
gdayre Offline
All American

I Root For:
panite Wrote:If this is true I think it is great that Memphis is trying to schedule games with at least one BE team. Personally I think Memphis, UCF, and ECU should be scheduling at least 1 to 2 games a year with BE schools for FB and BB knowing that there is a potential oppurtunity to get into the BE - a BCS conference in the next couple of years. Burning bridges by not honoring contracts or completely ignoring playing oppurtunities to build a rapport with a conference that has interest in your school for future conference affiliation just does not make sense at all.

I hope this is true. Memphis is trying to schedule some big east teams. I think we will have about 4 BE teams on the bb schedule for the next several year. Maybe the big east will extend an invitation(even for fb only). but who knows.
02-10-2008 07:23 PM
Advertisement

gdayre Offline
All American

I Root For:
What I find even stranger is, RC said on the local radio show in january, that Memphis would accept a FB only invite. He has been adament that we would only accept a full membership. Now in January, he said we would.
02-10-2008 07:31 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

gdayre Wrote:What I find even stranger is, RC said on the local radio show in january, that Memphis would accept a FB only invite. He has been adament that we would only accept a full membership. Now in January, he said we would.

It could be a sign that the Big East is going to take a few extra years before splitting. If that's the case, the the Big East definitely would need to add a 9th team.
02-10-2008 08:31 PM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
gdayre Wrote:What I find even stranger is, RC said on the local radio show in january, that Memphis would accept a FB only invite. He has been adament that we would only accept a full membership. Now in January, he said we would.

It wouldn't make sense for the Big East to do that. You leave behind an elite hoops team and take (no offense) an average football team.
02-10-2008 09:15 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Until the split happened the Big East would be in no need to add an elite basketball team, there are plenty of good basketball teams in the league currently. If Memphis is willing to take a football only invite for now, it alliviates the scheduling for football and should bring an extra bowl game.
The question is were would Memphis put its other sports? The only way i would see that happening is if the split will happen and Memphis knows the all sports invite is down the road.
02-10-2008 09:29 PM
klg316 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Cubanbull Wrote:The question is were would Memphis put its other sports? The only way i would see that happening is if the split will happen and Memphis knows the all sports invite is down the road.

My guess is that Memphis would join either the A-10 or MVC for the other sports.
02-10-2008 10:08 PM
Advertisement

BullsFanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF
MVC would make sense, although they are hesitant to go from 10 to 12 from what I have read. They might make an exception for Memphis and St. Louis (Majerus apparently wants in the MVC). It would be a win-win for Memphis, although it might be awkward to have such different rivals in football and basketball.
02-10-2008 10:37 PM
IBleedBlue Offline
Something.

I Root For: TigrsBravesGriz
BullsFanatic Wrote:MVC would make sense, although they are hesitant to go from 10 to 12 from what I have read. They might make an exception for Memphis and St. Louis (Majerus apparently wants in the MVC). It would be a win-win for Memphis, although it might be awkward to have such different rivals in football and basketball.

Well to be honest, we don't have much when it comes to rivals in c-usa. Sure, I guess there is a little bit with Southern Miss or UAB...but nothing that big.

If we joined the BE in football, (which I think would be more beneficial than just our bball team joining because the football program really needs the boost) we would already have a couple of already well established rivalries (UC, UL). I would have no problem with switching over to the A 10 or MVC in the other sports. In at least basketball, those are much better athletic conferences.

I sure know our basketball schedule would be much more exciting while playing in the MVC, and it would bring more exposure to that conference.
02-10-2008 11:58 PM
Crimsonelf Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cardinals
That certainly sounds feasible. But I'm not sure the BE would want to formalize something like that at this point. What about TV contracts, ie. $$$? It sounds more like a specific UL-Memphis thing right now. UL is having real trouble filling out 12 game schedules, on top of which they play all of their other rivals, except Memphis. Why not schedule Memphis annually so it kills those 2 birds(no pun intended since our mascot IS a bird) with one stone. And it would set things up nicely so that Memphis could slide right into the BE when that time comes. Maybe? Of course, what's going on with Cincy and Memphis, seemingly another mystery to the theories...
02-11-2008 03:09 AM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

--Hasn't Memphis already turned down a football only invite from the BE?

Jackson
02-11-2008 10:06 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.