Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Signing Day - Seriously
Bookmark and Share
HoopDreams Offline
Better Than Diamond Rings

I Root For: EXPECTATIONS
Signing Day - Seriously
I shouldn't have been such a negative poster today - I sincerely hope this class is good and that Tommy takes the Tigers to great heights...

Signing Day should be much more celebratory - all the other stuff can wait until some other day if it is necessary...

Here's to the new Tigers and here's to a great season.
02-06-2008 07:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cbhstiger Offline
Phantom Mercenary

I Root For: Brewpubs
RE: Signing Day - Seriously
Just wait and lets see how these players pan out. Just because they aren't 4 stars doesn't mean they won't contribute. I'll admit its a little disappointing, but I am optimistic.
02-06-2008 08:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Optimistic Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
No...I am Optimistic.
02-06-2008 08:10 PM
TigerJimmy Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
Does anyone know who the CB that Tommy mentions he is still planning in getting signed. This was from the press conference today posted on GoTigersGo.

If we're short anywhere on this class, it's corner. I would have liked to sign a corner. We obviously have signed a lot of skill players on the other side of the ball and tried and make slot receiver type guys that were guys we could possibly make corners down the road. But we are short. I think if we're short anywhere, it would be at one corner. And to be honest with you, we're probably going to sign a corner within the next week. I already know who it is, but I obviously can't talk about him until we sign him.
02-06-2008 08:28 PM
SNF6 Offline
Go To Hell Ole Miss

I Root For: Vol Free USA
Wild guess.........Bud Barkesdale?

Wouldn't that be sweet! We could use a RB as well, wonder if Bud knows one.

I just broke my rule of not contaminating the thread.
02-06-2008 08:38 PM
Advertisement

kpigout Offline
cyber-bbq king

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Crappies
SNF6 Wrote:Wild guess.........Bud Barkesdale?

Wouldn't that be sweet! We could use a RB as well, wonder if Bud knows one.

I just broke my rule of not contaminating the thread.

Can't remember where, but he signed with someone today.
02-06-2008 08:43 PM
SNF6 Offline
Go To Hell Ole Miss

I Root For: Vol Free USA
Kpigout, just rechecked, and you are correct. He signed with USM. I had heard that he and his brother would be a package deal once Mississippi Northern got Enrique Davis and the RB brother got pissed.

I can't handle this recruiting circus, I don't know how the coaches do.
02-06-2008 08:52 PM
ChattTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
TigerJimmy Wrote:Does anyone know who the CB that Tommy mentions he is still planning in getting signed. This was from the press conference today posted on GoTigersGo.

If we're short anywhere on this class, it's corner. I would have liked to sign a corner. We obviously have signed a lot of skill players on the other side of the ball and tried and make slot receiver type guys that were guys we could possibly make corners down the road. But we are short. I think if we're short anywhere, it would be at one corner. And to be honest with you, we're probably going to sign a corner within the next week. I already know who it is, but I obviously can't talk about him until we sign him.

every signing day Tommy references one more player he is hoping to sign. Usually doesn't happen. and it certainly isn't going to be anyone of significance, or we'd all know who he's talking about
02-06-2008 11:30 PM
Pressed Rat Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
It is what it is
02-07-2008 12:08 AM
Advertisement

TigersRuleAll Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Pressed Rat Wrote:It is what it is

What it is, is another disappointing recruiting class. We struck out on basically every player that we were going down to the wire with.
02-07-2008 12:59 AM
oldtiger Away
Forgiven Through Jesus' Grace

I Root For: Memphis

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardMemphis Hall of Fame
HoopDreams Wrote:I shouldn't have been such a negative poster today - I sincerely hope this class is good and that Tommy takes the Tigers to great heights...

Signing Day should be much more celebratory - all the other stuff can wait until some other day if it is necessary...

Every one of us post things that when we think about it, we wish we could take some things back or reword some of the things we post. Only the great posters come back and say, "oops, I may have gone overboard.".....only the best do that HoopDreams.
02-07-2008 01:17 AM
dannyq Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
What is everyone basing this as being a dissapointing class off of. The two kid's from Whitehaven are going to be stars. I mean difference makers. Hightower ran 4.29 at the camp this summer. I looked at the roster most of the db's were young maybe that's why we didn't go after db's. Marcus Rucker is legitamate he was the star of the Hoover 7on7 camp. The bottom line is if this qb is who they say he is we'll be fine. What are we expecting?
02-07-2008 02:35 AM
hartless Offline
All American

I Root For: TIGERS
oldtiger Wrote:
HoopDreams Wrote:I shouldn't have been such a negative poster today - I sincerely hope this class is good and that Tommy takes the Tigers to great heights...

Every one of us post things that when we think about it, we wish we could take some things back or reword some of the things we post. Only the great posters come back and say, "oops, I may have gone overboard.".....only the best do that HoopDreams.
Oldtiger, you are wise and I agree with your assessment of HoopDreams(great poster).
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2008 06:55 AM by hartless.)
02-07-2008 06:54 AM
Advertisement

TigerTodd72 Offline
1st String

After sleeping on it I'm not as "doom and gloom" today. Sure, we swung and miss with some big-time prospects (Daniels, Dam. Johnson, McGee, Wright), but recruiting big-time players is what we all wanted, right? Obviously we're going to miss more than we hit. . .but I'm thrilled with the local guys we signed, and we signed a couple of juco guys (Hall and Culpepper) that should be immediate starters for us.

I'm looking forward to this season and seeing some of these new guys in action.
02-07-2008 09:18 AM
MemphisMojo Offline
All American

I Root For: Democrats
We need to do better.
02-07-2008 09:34 AM
nctiger Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:
TigersRuleAll Wrote:

What it is, is another disappointing recruiting class. We struck out on basically every player that we were going down to the wire with.

Can you give me a list of the players that we struck out on, the only two players that I know we missed are BJ Daniels, and the other LB from whitehaven.
In the last two weeks, BJ stated that his choice was between us and USF, in the end he chose USF, because they did not sign another QTR. BK. ( point of info. our highly rated bb team may have hurt us more than it helped, he stated that he doubted that he would ever get to play at Memphis)
If the Tiger had not already have signed Hall, to me there is no doubt that we could have signed BJ.
Plus the qtr. bk. that we did sign is going to be outstanding, not just good but outstanding.
The other player the LB from Whitehaven, we just lost him to his early committment, Ark, and out of the tlhree LB's that Tommy targeted we signed two
Tommy stated, sure we would liked to have signed both of these players, but you are not going to sign ever player you go after.

I personally thnk this is one of the better classes we have had in a while, believe me there are players in this group

PS: BJ did not sign his LOI until 1:53 PM
02-07-2008 10:15 AM
tigerderek Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Sunshinepumpers
we suck! i do not want to play mtsu again.05-stirthepot
02-07-2008 11:34 AM
Advertisement

TigerTodd72 Offline
1st String

nctiger Wrote:
TigersRuleAll Wrote:

Can you give me a list of the players that we struck out on, the only two players that I know we missed are BJ Daniels, and the other LB from whitehaven.
In the last two weeks, BJ stated that his choice was between us and USF, in the end he chose USF, because they did not sign another QTR. BK. ( point of info. our highly rated bb team may have hurt us more than it helped, he stated that he doubted that he would ever get to play at Memphis)
If the Tiger had not already have signed Hall, to me there is no doubt that we could have signed BJ.
Plus the qtr. bk. that we did sign is going to be outstanding, not just good but outstanding.
The other player the LB from Whitehaven, we just lost him to his early committment, Ark, and out of the tlhree LB's that Tommy targeted we signed two
Tommy stated, sure we would liked to have signed both of these players, but you are not going to sign ever player you go after.

I personally thnk this is one of the better classes we have had in a while, believe me there are players in this group

PS: BJ did not sign his LOI until 1:53 PM

I'm not an "insider", so I don't have the exact list of players we offered. . .however, it was public knowledge (by the players themselves) that we offered and lost out on QB BJ Daniels, LB Tank Wright, WR Damaris Johnson, RB Brynn Harvey, LB Antonio Harper, RB Martin Ward and DT Tim McGee. All these guys were considered impact players, and that's why there was so much hand ringing yesterday.

Other high impact recruits that had Memphis on their list but chose to go elsewhere for whatever reason were RB Desmond Johnson and DE/LB Alonzo Horton. I'm not sure scholarships were extended to those two.

Our recruiting victories yesterday were WR Marcus Rucker (who chose us over Indiana) and FB Brandon Ross (who we took from UAB). LB Ricky Holloway, DT Dontari Poe, and WR Marcus Hightower had either publicly committed to the Tigers already, or insiders had previously reported they were definitely headed to Memphis. Those three were expected to be Tigers going into signing day.
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2008 11:45 AM by TigerTodd72.)
02-07-2008 11:44 AM
nctiger Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:
I listened carefully to what Tommy said in the press conference, and that was we lost out on two players that we would have liked to sign, On being BJ Daniels and the other the LB from whitehaven, keep in mind we signed two of the targeted three...
02-07-2008 12:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.