Open TigerLinks

Donald Law-TE
Bookmark and Share
marktheapostle Offline
Blessed

I Root For: Memphis
Donald Law-TE
Hamilton TE commits to Tigers

A pitcher for the Hamilton High baseball team and a former forward for the basketball team, Donald Law will continue his athletic career at the University of Memphis playing what has become his best sport.

Law, a 6-5, 260-pound tight end, said Monday he'll sign a National Letter of Intent Wednesday to resume his football career in his hometown. A member of The Commercial Appeal's 2007 Best of the Preps All-Metro team, Law made his decision after taking an official visit to the UofM last weekend.

"I liked the environment, the coaching staff, the players and the academics," said Law, who intends to become an athletic trainer.

At Memphis, Law will re-unite with his teammate in December's Toyota East vs. West All-Star Football Classic played at Carson-Newman College in Jefferson City, Tenn. Fayette-Ware linebacker Ricky Holloway committed to the UofM after visiting the campus last month.

Hamilton coach Thurston Rubin described Law as a "big kid, a versatile, athletic player who can play tight end, defensive end or on the offensive line."

Rubin said the UofM coaches are projecting Law as an offensive tackle, but "are going to give him an opportunity to play tight end."

Rubin said Law also attracted interest from Mississippi State, Mississippi Valley, Tennessee State and Arkansas-Pine Bluff. Rubin said Mississippi State offered Law a scholarship last spring to play defensive end.

During his senior season at Hamilton, Law caught 35 passes for 370 yards and three touchdowns.

Rubin said Law didn't play football as a sophomore, the year before Rubin was hired.

"He was focusing on basketball," Rubin said. "When I got to Hamilton, I convinced him he needed to look at a career in football. He bought into it, and it worked out well."

Rubin played Law at left tackle the first six games of his junior season before moving him to tight end because, as Rubin said, the Wildcats "needed a playmaker."

"He could run routes well and he had excellent hands," Rubin said.

Law said he played on the Hamilton High basketball team to start the season, but stopped around Christmas to "focus on working out" for football.

He'll play baseball for the Wildcats this spring and said he'd consider playing the sport in college.

"My mom got me interested in baseball," he said. "I've been playing baseball since I was 5 years old."

-- Phil Stukenborg: 529-2543
02-05-2008 09:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mairving Offline
Ignant Homer

RE: Donald Law-TE
Your link is a bit messed up. Too many http's.

Corrected here

Good news.
02-05-2008 09:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tigerx3 Offline
Hall of Famer

Not listed on Rivals or Scout. I question whether he actual received an offer from Ms State.

Is he maybe a preferred walkon?
02-05-2008 10:07 AM
mawagg46 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
Try Trey Law. Scout shows an offer on the MSU site.
02-05-2008 10:25 AM
Advertisement

HoopDreams Offline
Better Than Diamond Rings

I Root For: EXPECTATIONS
everytime we sign this multiple position guys, the staff never seems interested in trying them on the DL...I mean this guy is 6-5, 260, plays TE and also baseball and basketball, which would tell me he would be almost the ideal candidate for trying out at DE...yet, we want to bulk him up and put him at OL or at least that is what he is quoted in the CA as saying - not the bulking up part, but the OL part....I don't know....

I wonder if he will try to play multiple sports as a Tiger?
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2008 11:30 AM by HoopDreams.)
02-05-2008 11:05 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BBTiger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tigers
He throws a 85 plus MPH fastball, is very athletic and should make a heckuva player at some position.
02-05-2008 11:33 AM
TigerTodd72 Offline
1st String

Not sure how his speed is, though, but sounds like an ideal pass rusher off the edge. Would hate to see that athleticism wasted on the OL.
02-05-2008 12:11 PM
Advertisement

m-town Offline
2nd String

rivals has him listed as a DE
02-05-2008 12:14 PM
Tigerx3 Offline
Hall of Famer

m-town Wrote:rivals has him listed as a DE

No stats. No rating.
02-05-2008 12:40 PM
hartless Offline
All American

I Root For: TIGERS
You want someone in the O tackle area to cover those opposing DE who are fast too. Converted TE to OT are exceptional because of their quick feet and usually are quick off the ball. Coach West and staff has a record of spotting the talent and putting them in the right position. IE: Singleton and Avery among others.
02-05-2008 12:41 PM
Advertisement

HoopDreams Offline

hartless Wrote:You want someone in the O tackle area to cover those opposing DE who are fast too. Converted TE to OT are exceptional because of their quick feet and usually are quick off the ball. Coach West and staff has a record of spotting the talent and putting them in the right position. IE: Singleton and Avery among others.

agreed and you make very good points - my argument would be that we have a lot of size and talent on the OL side of the ball...I also believe we have more talent on the DL than some believe, but at 6-5, 260, it would be nice to put that on the DL...especially since he probably has a good level of athleticism...still, the coaching staff knows much more than me and we haven't seen what players like Culpepper, Walker, Cathey, Henderson, Bryant et cetera are really capable of, so there may be no need to fill out the DL any more right now...
02-05-2008 12:46 PM
Tigerx3 Offline
Hall of Famer

I checked MS State Commits on Scout. They have 7 commits listed as DE all rated players. Three are three star.

State was his only offer. My guess is they offered way over the limit and are sorting through the numbers. Trey was left out in the cold. they may have offered a perfered walkon to him.
02-05-2008 12:47 PM
ChattTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
I don't care what position he eventually plays, as long as he produces. Getting a 6'5" 260# athlete that you have the potential to plug into many spots is a big plus for us. I just hope they pick one spot and stick with it and let him flourish. our track record isn't too good with moving people around multiple times and wasting a players' time here.
02-05-2008 02:24 PM
HoopDreams Offline

ChattTiger Wrote:I don't care what position he eventually plays, as long as he produces. Getting a 6'5" 260# athlete that you have the potential to plug into many spots is a big plus for us. I just hope they pick one spot and stick with it and let him flourish. our track record isn't too good with moving people around multiple times and wasting a players' time here.

agree.
02-05-2008 04:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.