Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
2008 Big East-SE Challenge Lineup Announced
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
2008 Big East-SE Challenge Lineup Announced
We know who is playing in basketball season 2, after the Big East won 3 of 4 this season.

In Nashville (Dec. 16 @ the Sommet Center):
Marquette vs. Tennessee
South Florida @ Vanderbilt

In Cincinnati (Dec 18th @ U.S. Bank Arena):
Louisville vs. Ole Miss
Mississippi St. @ Cincinnati

They obviously could have switched the Cincy matchups for more drama. Kennedy vs. his old team on the one hand, and it's to a lesser degree, but the Cards and Bulldogs have traded players recently. Brian Johnson transferred to MSU and plays in Starkville, and Reginald Delk is sitting out this year in Louisville after leaving MSU and will be playing for us next season.

The matchups look good overall. 6 of the 8 teams are competing for an NCAA bid this season, UC is playing great, and USF should be improved at least some next season.

If anyone is looking way ahead to 2009, the 4 SEC teams are set by default I assume:
Kentucky
Arkansas
Florida
Georgia

The 8 remaining BE teams that could be matched up with those 4 SEC in '09 are Syracuse, UConn, Pitt, DePaul, ND, St John's, Rutgers, & Seton Hall. Since they clearly look to have 2 teams from the same conference geographically near the hosting sites, NYC and Chicago look like reasonable hosting sites in the future on the Big East end when you consider our remaining 8 teams.
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2008 10:45 AM by CollegeCard.)
01-31-2008 10:41 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Orange Eagles Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Syracuse
RE: 2008 Big East-SE Challenge Lineup Announced
I'm a little disappointed to not see at least one original BE team. No offense to the UL, UC, Marquette and USF fans, but to keep the interest they should have thrown in Syracuse or UConn this year.
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2008 11:37 AM by Orange Eagles.)
01-31-2008 11:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

Orange Eagles Wrote:I'm a little disappointed to not see at least one original BE team. No offense to the UL, UC, Marquette and USF fans, but to keep the interest they should have thrown in Syracuse or UConn this year.

They could have split up the 4 former CUSA teams, but to be honest, I disagree with the premise that these 4 are lesser BE members. That's at least the implication. This setup is never going to match the ACC-Big 10 challenge, no matter who the teams are, considering that you only have 4 games a year. I'd also have to say I disagree with the implication that we need Cuse or UConn for national interest. UofL has just as much draw in terms of TV ratings, etc.

As for maybe a South Florida, they have to play in at some point, and are away from other BE members, so they were a natural to play at the SEC venue. You can't load up on the "name" teams and then in the 4th year have USF, RU, St John's and Seton Hall from the BE.
01-31-2008 11:52 AM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
That Marquette-Tennessee game should be fun.
01-31-2008 12:32 PM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

mattsarz Wrote:That Marquette-Tennessee game should be fun.

Definitely! We are 11 months out, but that appears to be the premier game at this point. Even if both teams are a little down from this year, it should be a fast-paced high scoring affair.
01-31-2008 12:35 PM
MU88 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
CollegeCard Wrote:

Definitely! We are 11 months out, but that appears to be the premier game at this point. Even if both teams are a little down from this year, it should be a fast-paced high scoring affair.

Well, MU could be better next year. If James sticks around, MU will have everyone back but Barro. Plus, MU gets its best recruit this year back (he is redshirting because of injury) and has a relatively strong recruiting class coming in.

The subplot in the MU-UT game is that Pearl used to be at UWM. He used to take a lot of pot shots in the media at MU for not playing them during his tenure, but never mentioned that UWM is the one that originally cancelled the series. It appears that there is a little bad blood between Crean and Pearl because of it.
01-31-2008 12:53 PM
Advertisement

Orange Eagles Offline
Special Teams

CollegeCard Wrote:
Orange Eagles Wrote:I'm a little disappointed to not see at least one original BE team. No offense to the UL, UC, Marquette and USF fans, but to keep the interest they should have thrown in Syracuse or UConn this year.

They could have split up the 4 former CUSA teams, but to be honest, I disagree with the premise that these 4 are lesser BE members. That's at least the implication. This setup is never going to match the ACC-Big 10 challenge, no matter who the teams are, considering that you only have 4 games a year. I'd also have to say I disagree with the implication that we need Cuse or UConn for national interest. UofL has just as much draw in terms of TV ratings, etc.

As for maybe a South Florida, they have to play in at some point, and are away from other BE members, so they were a natural to play at the SEC venue. You can't load up on the "name" teams and then in the 4th year have USF, RU, St John's and Seton Hall from the BE.

I just mean that I don't think there will be as much interest in this on the east coast. I think they could have thrown in one of the three (Pitt, UConn, 'Cuse) and saved Louisville or Cincy for another year. Same way that I don't think they should have played both Georgetown and Nova this year. It's just hard to say Big East/SEC Invitational when those 4 schools have only been in the BE for 3 years.
01-31-2008 02:23 PM
Bearcat T Offline
All American

I Root For:
Offense is taken, just joking, but Cincy is much more geographically desirable for the doubleheader with the SEC as a host and has much more in the way to offer visiting fans in terms of hotels, activities, and restaurants/bars etc. and flights are much easier etc. than Syracuse and Uconn no offense they are further away and in samller towns etc....hehe There is a NEW BIG East and Syracuse and UConn are a BIG part of it, but so are teams like Cincy a TOP TEN ALL-TIME Program and USF etc. We just started slow in B-Ball due to the coaching change but we are back! Next years team is LOADED! Not to mention USF and Cincy in football.
01-31-2008 02:27 PM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

Orange Eagles Wrote:
CollegeCard Wrote:

I just mean that I don't think there will be as much interest in this on the east coast. I think they could have thrown in one of the three (Pitt, UConn, 'Cuse) and saved Louisville or Cincy for another year. Same way that I don't think they should have played both Georgetown and Nova this year. It's just hard to say Big East/SEC Invitational when those 4 schools have only been in the BE for 3 years.

They could have decided to split it up, but I'm sure they had reasons for everything, and I suspect ESPN was heavily involved, and so won't be dissapointed with their own influence.

As for your last sentence, that's where we may have to agree to disagree. Believe it or not, those 4 schools have full voting rights, can win conference championships, etc! Of course I'm being sarcastic, but really, how many years in do they qualify as "Big East" teams? By the time the games are played those schools will be in their 4th basketball season in the league. The league appeared more than ready to claim the Orange Bowl win last January.
01-31-2008 02:42 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
MU88 Wrote:
CollegeCard Wrote:
Well, MU could be better next year. If James sticks around, MU will have everyone back but Barro. Plus, MU gets its best recruit this year back (he is redshirting because of injury) and has a relatively strong recruiting class coming in.

The subplot in the MU-UT game is that Pearl used to be at UWM. He used to take a lot of pot shots in the media at MU for not playing them during his tenure, but never mentioned that UWM is the one that originally cancelled the series. It appears that there is a little bad blood between Crean and Pearl because of it.
If Marquette is hitting their shots, they can beat Tennessee. 04-rock

But if they have to depend on offensive rebounding to get their points, they are in deep trouble against the Vols. Tennessee is very tough inside, which isn't Marquette's forte.
01-31-2008 02:57 PM
MU88 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
bitcruncher Wrote:But if they have to depend on offensive rebounding to get their points, they are in deep trouble against the Vols. Tennessee is very tough inside, which isn't Marquette's forte.

UT loses its backcourt next year. MU gains 2 talented front court players. But, you are right. If MU shoots well, they can beat anyone. If they are off, they are an average team.
01-31-2008 04:48 PM
Advertisement

PusherT Offline
1st String

I hope Syracuse gets Kentucky in the tourny, I would love if we were the host for a NYC region. Myself and many other SU fans still can't get over that lost to Kentucky in the 96 NCAA championship game, I so wanted that win03-hissyfit

PS: The SEC just doesn't do much for me in terms of BB, I know that league has UF and Kentucky but I still would have preferred the ACC. I just don't think alot of people in the Northeast will get pump over some these SEC matchup unless its Kentucky/UF and maybe UT. I would for the BE to fill in for the Big Ten for 1 year so we can whip on the ACC
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2008 04:55 PM by PusherT.)
01-31-2008 04:51 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
MU88 Wrote:
bitcruncher Wrote:But if they have to depend on offensive rebounding to get their points, they are in deep trouble against the Vols. Tennessee is very tough inside, which isn't Marquette's forte.
UT loses its backcourt next year. MU gains 2 talented front court players. But, you are right. If MU shoots well, they can beat anyone. If they are off, they are an average team.
UT has some talented players coming in. Bruce Pearl is getting some big-time recruits.

Being in Knoxville gives me a little inside info on the Vols. 04-cheers
01-31-2008 05:03 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati

Cincinnati is going to be loaded next year so I wouldn't label us a "lesser" team. Louisville was a preseason Big East title favorite and Marquette has been in the Top 25 most of the year, so I don't know where you get the idea that we're "lesser" teams. Especially since Cincinnati and Louisville arguably have stronger tradition then Syracuse and UConn.
01-31-2008 05:22 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
Bearcat T Wrote:Offense is taken, just joking, but Cincy is much more geographically desirable for the doubleheader with the SEC as a host and has much more in the way to offer visiting fans in terms of hotels, activities, and restaurants/bars etc. and flights are much easier etc. than Syracuse and Uconn no offense they are further away and in samller towns etc....hehe There is a NEW BIG East and Syracuse and UConn are a BIG part of it, but so are teams like Cincy a TOP TEN ALL-TIME Program and USF etc. We just started slow in B-Ball due to the coaching change but we are back! Next years team is LOADED! Not to mention USF and Cincy in football.

Exactly. Cincinnati and Louisville are 2 of the Top 10 tradition rich programs in history and Marquette has been to several Final Fours and have a national championship so I don't know how he can say that we're "lesser" program.
01-31-2008 05:24 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
CatsClaw Wrote:

Cincinnati is going to be loaded next year so I wouldn't label us a "lesser" team. Louisville was a preseason Big East title favorite and Marquette has been in the Top 25 most of the year, so I don't know where you get the idea that we're "lesser" teams. Especially since Cincinnati and Louisville arguably have stronger tradition then Syracuse and UConn.

I agree on your last sentence. It is very, very arguable that Louisville and Cincy have a stronger bb tradition than Syracuse, and to a lesser degree, Uconn. Syracuse is also a top 10 winning and and winning percentage program. They also by far, have the longest annual winning streak in the country at 37 years, and the next closest has only 27 straight winning seasons. Louisville fans can certaily make a great case with their 8 final fours and 2 championships for eclipsing Syracuse in the tradition department, but Syracuse has been much more consistant these last 20 years, but still I would give the edge to Louisville.

Cincy fans can make a case as well, although less than Louisville fans. If anything, I would say that Cincy and Syracuse both have an excellent tradition, but I dont see Cincy being better than Syracuse. Even with Cincy's 2 championships, I would say that Cincy and Syracuse are even if anything, especially since Cincy went on an extended hiatus before Huggins came along and got them going again.

As far as Uconn goes, they are not in the top 10 in winning, but I will say that the last 10-15 years, they have eclipsed every school in the BE.
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2008 07:32 PM by cuseroc.)
01-31-2008 05:39 PM
Advertisement

omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
CatsClaw Wrote:

Might be mistaken about this, but I don't think he was saying that Louisville, Cincinnati, and Marquette were "lesser" programs, rather I think he was trying to say that fans of the Big East in the major metropolitan areas of the northeast like NYC, Philly, and Washington DC, might have been better served by having Syracuse or Connecticut this year and putting either Louisville or Cincinnati in the rotation for the following year.

Cheers,
Neil
01-31-2008 10:22 PM
BcatMatt13 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats
If they really wanted to make a lot of money, They should have played the games at US BANK Arena on December 18 at 7 and 9.

Start off with Louisville/Tennessee and the later game could be Cincinnati/Kentucky. That would bring in a lot of $$$$.
01-31-2008 11:36 PM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

BcatMatt13 Wrote:If they really wanted to make a lot of money, They should have played the games at US BANK Arena on December 18 at 7 and 9.

Start off with Louisville/Tennessee and the later game could be Cincinnati/Kentucky. That would bring in a lot of $$$$.

I would have loved those matchups. Tennessee wouldn't have minded getting a shot at UofL. We had a 2 for 2 series over 4 straight seasons earlier this decade. The Cards went 4-0, but broke the Vol's heart year after year. UT outplayed the Cards the first 3 matchups, only to choke and have UofL rally late to barely win all 3. In the final game, it was close for a half and then our Final 4 team blew them out.

In my biased opinion, the 2001 game is one of the best rally's/biggest choke jobs you'll see in college basketball over the last 30 seconds. The Vols were up 6 with 35 seconds left, and lost in regulation, with no free throws shot by either team during that stretch. The end of that game is the loudest I have ever heard Freedom Hall in all the games I've been to over the last two decades.

The video is not the best quality, but you can tell what's going on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEb-uZoFJ...re=related
02-01-2008 12:16 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Those matchups look pretty good to me. I am biased because I live in Cincinnati. Louisville fans should be plenty in Downtown Cincinnati for this game. I don't those SEC teams want to go any further north than Cincy.
02-01-2008 09:30 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.