Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Savannah State game thread
Bookmark and Share
Go Fly Win Owls! Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Kennesaw State
Savannah State game thread
Any win is a good win.

But the game should not have been as close as it was. EARLY in the game, the 7 footer got pulled for not playing defense. We must improve defensively. I am not sure that I am in love with the 1 on 1 isolation plays either. A large percentage of the time nothing good happens. When we move the ball and find the open man we improve by 50 percent as a team offensively.

But,

Any win is a good win.
01-29-2008 10:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

KennesawBasketball Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kennesaw
RE: Savannah State game thread
Go, Fly, Win, Owls! Wrote:Any win is a good win.

But the game should not have been as close as it was. EARLY in the game, the 7 footer got pulled for not playing defense. We must improve defensively. I am not sure that I am in love with the 1 on 1 isolation plays either. A large percentage of the time nothing good happens. When we move the ball and find the open man we improve by 50 percent as a team offensively.

But,

Any win is a good win.

Why start a new thread when you could have posted on another thread?

We also shot 52% from the field tonight. I don't understand you...it is like you are trying to say something negative. We beat a pretty decent team tonight (for where Kennesaw is as a program right now).

What do your percentage comments mean anyway? Are you breaking down game film and coming up with statistics. A large percentage of the time nothing good happens? What kind of large percentagee? You are just making stuff up as you go. We created a lot of 1 on 1 matchups tonight and we shot over 50% so that kind of busts your theory. Your other comment about moving the ball improves our team offense by 50%...what does that even mean? You sound like the Movie Anchorman "60% of the time, it works every time". You are just making up percentages and stating them as fact. You don't even give clear evidence to what the final result is. Just that it improves our offense by 50%.

I feel bad that I am coming down so hard on you, but I don't apologize. If you are going to make a statement in a public forum you have to back it up with some sort of logic and/or evidence. We played well as a team, we took advantage of mismatches, and we scored the ball at an extremely efficient rate.

We rebounded poorly, and we turned the ball over too many times in situations where there was little to zero pressure. Your post is negative the whole time, and then you say at the end "Any win is a good win" like that makes it ok. This was a good win, against a team that is very comparable to Kennesaw talent wise. This team beat North Florida by 26, and recently got beat by Jacksonville on a buzzer beater. We got smoked by Jacksonville, so to say that our game vs. Savannah State shouldn't have been as close as it was is just a pipe dream.

Anyway - that is my rant, but next time just post your message on our other thread. It looks to me like you are just begging for attention...you hooked me in anyway though. Hopefully somebody else can back me up on this...am I the only one that sees the cynicism of his post about our team.
01-29-2008 11:38 PM
Owlzfan84 Offline
Special Teams

I was impressed tonight..though i'm not going to lie..our team can really drive me crazy sometimes. We get those lapses and turn the ball over on stupid lazy passes..those drive me crazy. But i thought we did a pretty good job of mixing things up offensively. This is not the Sav state team of two years ago. their pretty decent these days, and they have a lot of athletes.

Our Owls have a lot..and i mean A LOT of potential, and its starting to show with this mini win streak. I'm happy JMAC is healthy, and our freshman are improving by the day. Allison looked a little lost out there tonight, but this is his first year playing, so those kind of things happen.

I'm happy with the win, and we have a good chance of getting that 4th win in a row. That will be huge..we will have some major momentum coming into ETSU.
01-30-2008 12:14 AM
1st String

Allison definitely had a bad start, and it looked like Ingle just couldn't trust to put him back in there and risk any more lapses. He didnt sub for ANYONE in the second half. I think when Daugherty through up the backwards finger-roll from 10 feet, turned the ball over in the backcourt on the next play, and then subsequently fouled the Savannah State player for a chance for a three point play, Coach Ingle decided no more substitutions.
01-30-2008 12:19 AM
Corn_3024 Offline
Special Teams

Not subbing the entire second half was crazy..but to see JMAC get that kinda minutes was great.. To see our best 5 play together and play the way they did in the second half was pretty awesome. As I've said previously..every win and loss has positives and negatives and we should look at both after each game. You don't want to be overly negative or positive..realistic is the way to go. We played good tonight, but not great. A lot of mistakes were made by some guys that are inexperienced and that can be expected. We shot outstanding tonight and man Stegall has really upped his game from the charity stripe. He deserves huges props for that as those are huge shots for us..(you kno..since all of our games are decided by 4 points or less..lol)..

Oh..and to second what KB said..why did you start another thread?
01-30-2008 01:30 AM
Go Fly Win Owls! Offline
2nd String

KennesawBasketball Wrote:
Go, Fly, Win, Owls! Wrote:Any win is a good win.

But,

Any win is a good win.

Why start a new thread when you could have posted on another thread?

We also shot 52% from the field tonight. I don't understand you...it is like you are trying to say something negative. We beat a pretty decent team tonight (for where Kennesaw is as a program right now).

What do your percentage comments mean anyway? Are you breaking down game film and coming up with statistics. A large percentage of the time nothing good happens? What kind of large percentagee? You are just making stuff up as you go. We created a lot of 1 on 1 matchups tonight and we shot over 50% so that kind of busts your theory. Your other comment about moving the ball improves our team offense by 50%...what does that even mean? You sound like the Movie Anchorman "60% of the time, it works every time". You are just making up percentages and stating them as fact. You don't even give clear evidence to what the final result is. Just that it improves our offense by 50%.

I feel bad that I am coming down so hard on you, but I don't apologize. If you are going to make a statement in a public forum you have to back it up with some sort of logic and/or evidence. We played well as a team, we took advantage of mismatches, and we scored the ball at an extremely efficient rate.

We rebounded poorly, and we turned the ball over too many times in situations where there was little to zero pressure. Your post is negative the whole time, and then you say at the end "Any win is a good win" like that makes it ok. This was a good win, against a team that is very comparable to Kennesaw talent wise. This team beat North Florida by 26, and recently got beat by Jacksonville on a buzzer beater. We got smoked by Jacksonville, so to say that our game vs. Savannah State shouldn't have been as close as it was is just a pipe dream.

Anyway - that is my rant, but next time just post your message on our other thread. It looks to me like you are just begging for attention...you hooked me in anyway though. Hopefully somebody else can back me up on this...am I the only one that sees the cynicism of his post about our team.

Bud -- I will not get into a pissing contest with you because it is not worth it. If we play up to our capabilities, we beat that team by at least 10-12 points. We beat a pretty good team tonight you say? How about we beat a team that has lost every road game it has played except for Bethune Cookman....1-14....wow WHAT A TEAM!

Instead of bashing my post, ask yourself -- why was the score so close?

Another thing I think you need to do before you bash a post is look at the conference stats by team (asun.com). Let me know what you come up with.
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2008 06:13 AM by Go Fly Win Owls!.)
01-30-2008 06:04 AM
Advertisement

1st String

The score was so close because Savannah State and Kennesaw are pretty evenly matched teams at this point in the season. In fact you can make a pretty easy argument that Savannah State was the favorite coming into the game. So let's look at some facts entering the game:

Records:
Savannah: 10-14
Kennesaw: 5-15

Key Wins:
Savannah: Florida A&M, High Point, South Carolina State, Southern Miss
Kennesaw: Belmont, Lipscomb

Common Opponents:
Savannah 63 Jacksonville 79
Savannah 64 Jacksonville 65
Kennesaw 56 Jacksonville 73

Savannah 70 Florida A&M 62
Kennesaw 79 Florida A&M 86

Savannah 58 North Florida 32
Kennesaw 80 North Florida 59

Savannah 62 Stetson 70
Kennesaw 54 Stetson 66

Strongest Opponents:
Savannah State: Wisconsin, Colorado, Creighton, Nebraska, Maryland, Kansas State
Kennesaw: Western Kentucky, Auburn, UNLV, Minnesota

-----------------------------------------------

Now there is some research for you. So as you can see, Savannah State had a better record, a more difficult schedule, and fared better against common opponents than the Owls. This would leave most people to believe that this is a very even matchup, if not a Savannah State favored matchup. That is why the score was close.

What am I supposed to be looking for in the ASun statistics page? Tell me what to look for, and I will look it up. I know one thing...nothing that i look up will prove that during our game vs. Savannah State our offense played below its normal ability. In fact I believe the stats will prove that our offense played significantly better last night than we have most of the season. Like I said earlier - the stats show that we shot the ball well from the field and the line, but turned the ball over too much and gave up too many offensive rebounds. So I don't really know what you want me to look for on the ASun statistics web site...let me know.
01-30-2008 09:06 AM
Corn_3024 Offline
Special Teams

KB, I know you've stated you like JMac coming off the bench since that allows us to use his versatility.. Which I do agree with..but I can't see Allison remaining a starter..he simply isnt ready yet. Do you think Whipple could start getting the starts instead? I would rather see Allison get his minutes in blow out games (if we ever have one..) than have him starting, playing five minutes and subbed.
01-30-2008 10:12 AM
1st String

I have no problem with JMac starting or coming off the bench. Allison is not one of our top players yet, but he does need some experience. Having him in the starting lineup might give him that chance to produce in a real game situation. As we saw last night he has a very short leash if he is hurting the team. I think our teams has 8 players that are able to bring something almost every night at this point in the season, and it would probably be in this order:

1. Wooten
2. Stegall
3. JMac
4. Jacobs
5. McConnell
6. Whipple
7. Pollock
8. Keith

My guess is we start seeing some very shortened rotations in the near future. I am not sure what to do with Allison, I just know that I would rather have him make a mistake in the 1st half than the second half. He needs some minutes, as he has really improved this year with some playing time, and will only get better with time. He had a rough game last night, but there have been some games in which he has helped the team. The top 6 in the above list are going to get a majority of the minutes with Pollock and Keith coming in to spell people if there is foul trouble or fatigue.

I doubt after last night's effort, Ryan Daugherty will see much of the court at all in the next several games. He tried a reverse, no look finger roll with 3 guys on him from atleast 8 feet. Savannah then proceeded to take his airball layup and make a three on the other end. He then threw the ball away to Savannah on their end of the court, allowed the guy to make a layup, and then fouled him. I would imagine that THAT sort of play will stick in a coaches mind for some time.

Whipple could start, as I think he has proven himself to be a good energy guy, but I think I prefer our current rotation. Allison starts, see if he can do something good. If he is struggling, immediately sub with either Whipple or JMac. Start the second half with JMac because we can't afford a lapse in judgement in the last 20 minutes. What do you think?
01-30-2008 12:39 PM
Nick M Offline
1st String

DonatorsDonators
Why let allison start?
01-30-2008 02:05 PM
Corn_3024 Offline
Special Teams

KB's right on Allison getting better with PT but I just don't like the sacrifice with sitting a more quality player so Allison can progress. He needs to be practicing hard and studying the game to get better.. Ill never understand why he doesn't just take what rebounds he actually gets over his head til he's clear.. He brings the ball down and gets it stolen from him a few times every game..Frustrating to watch us grab a rebound and then turn right around and lose it. He's somewhat productive with his block shots etc...but I think he can get better through practice and prevent us from sacrificing minutes with him in the game. As I said before..if we do ever blow a team out thats when you get guys like this some PT for the future..not to start the game and play a max of 10 minutes..

I agree with your list and I'd be happy with a few different starting lineups..

McConnell, Wooten, JMac. Stegall, and Jacobs are our five best players without questions.. Id prefer to either see that lineup or get JMac a lot of PT off the bench and put Whipple in.. JMO
01-30-2008 04:53 PM
Advertisement

1st String

I agree in that there is no real reason to start Allison ... he hasn't earned it at this point. So if we don't start him, I am completely fine with that. I am just saying that I see some of the reasoning behind him starting. He is going to be a big time player for us at some point. A seven footer with his kind of skill and timing is a tough matchup. So I think we have to figure out a way to get him in every game at some point. Starting is a glamour position so it might be better to give that to someone like JMac who has earned it, but as long as the minutes work out for our top 5 players, and we have our best team on the court at the end of the game, I am not going to worry about it.

I think since we are on a 3 game winning streak, we may stick with what we have right now...we will see.
01-30-2008 05:05 PM
Go Fly Win Owls! Offline
2nd String

KennesawBasketball Wrote:The score was so close because Savannah State and Kennesaw are pretty evenly matched teams at this point in the season. In fact you can make a pretty easy argument that Savannah State was the favorite coming into the game. So let's look at some facts entering the game:

Records:
Savannah: 10-14
Kennesaw: 5-15

Key Wins:
Savannah: Florida A&M, High Point, South Carolina State, Southern Miss
Kennesaw: Belmont, Lipscomb

Common Opponents:
Savannah 63 Jacksonville 79
Savannah 64 Jacksonville 65
Kennesaw 56 Jacksonville 73

Savannah 70 Florida A&M 62
Kennesaw 79 Florida A&M 86

Savannah 58 North Florida 32
Kennesaw 80 North Florida 59

Savannah 62 Stetson 70
Kennesaw 54 Stetson 66

Strongest Opponents:
Savannah State: Wisconsin, Colorado, Creighton, Nebraska, Maryland, Kansas State
Kennesaw: Western Kentucky, Auburn, UNLV, Minnesota

-----------------------------------------------

Now there is some research for you. So as you can see, Savannah State had a better record, a more difficult schedule, and fared better against common opponents than the Owls. This would leave most people to believe that this is a very even matchup, if not a Savannah State favored matchup. That is why the score was close.

What am I supposed to be looking for in the ASun statistics page? Tell me what to look for, and I will look it up. I know one thing...nothing that i look up will prove that during our game vs. Savannah State our offense played below its normal ability. In fact I believe the stats will prove that our offense played significantly better last night than we have most of the season. Like I said earlier - the stats show that we shot the ball well from the field and the line, but turned the ball over too much and gave up too many offensive rebounds. So I don't really know what you want me to look for on the ASun statistics web site...let me know.

SCORING DEFENSE
## Team G Pts Avg/G
--------------------------------------
1.Stetson............. 21 1425 67.9
2.Jacksonville........ 19 1351 71.1
3.USC Upstate......... 21 1509 71.9
4.Florida Gulf Coast.. 21 1519 72.3
5.Campbell............ 19 1386 72.9
6.Lipscomb............ 21 1534 73.0
7.UNF................. 19 1400 73.7
8.Belmont............. 21 1602 76.3
9.ETSU................ 20 1535 76.8
10.Kennesaw State...... 21 1614 76.9
11.Gardner-Webb........ 21 1639 78.0
12.Mercer.............. 20 1595 79.8

FIELD GOAL PCT DEFENSE
## Team G FG FGA Pct
---------------------------------------------
1.Mercer.............. 20 585 1391 .421
2.Gardner-Webb........ 21 557 1314 .424
3.Lipscomb............ 21 522 1218 .429
4.Campbell............ 19 471 1072 .439
5.ETSU................ 20 525 1186 .443
6.Jacksonville........ 19 476 1075 .443
7.Stetson............. 21 496 1119 .443
8.UNF................. 19 461 1025 .450
9.USC Upstate......... 21 522 1146 .455
10.Florida Gulf Coast.. 21 536 1163 .461
11.Belmont............. 21 567 1194 .475
12.Kennesaw State...... 21 583 1211 .481

3-POINT FIELD GOAL PCT DEFENSE
## Team G FG FGA Pct
---------------------------------------------
1.Gardner-Webb........ 21 139 422 .329
2.Jacksonville........ 19 122 365 .334
3.Stetson............. 21 119 355 .335
4.ETSU................ 20 179 521 .344
5.Belmont............. 21 143 410 .349
6.Florida Gulf Coast.. 21 162 445 .364
7.Lipscomb............ 21 164 449 .365
8.Mercer.............. 20 186 509 .365
9.UNF................. 19 115 312 .369
10.Campbell............ 19 164 442 .371
11.USC Upstate......... 21 141 380 .371
12.Kennesaw State...... 21 139 366 .380

BLOCKED SHOTS
## Team G Blocks Avg/G
-----------------------------------------
1.Mercer.............. 20 117 5.85
2.Kennesaw State...... 21 84 4.00
3.UNF................. 19 67 3.53
4.Florida Gulf Coast.. 21 68 3.24
5.Jacksonville........ 19 60 3.16
6.ETSU................ 20 61 3.05
7.Campbell............ 19 54 2.84
8.Gardner-Webb........ 21 59 2.81
9.USC Upstate......... 21 54 2.57
10.Lipscomb............ 21 51 2.43
11.Stetson............. 21 49 2.33
12.Belmont............. 21 40 1.90

I can't believe the blinders that you have attached to both sides of your face KennesawBasketball.

It is real simple, your focus is too much on offense and not enough on defense. Just look at the stats above. We are 2nd in blocked shots, but pitiful in other phases of defense (3 point defense, rebounding, etc.) What is the percentage of times during games that we are actually going to block shots? What about help defense? Who takes charges on a consistent basis on your team? (the answer should be everybody) I started the post that you shot down by saying that the big man got taken out for not challenging a shot on the 2nd possession. Duh? That is stuff you are supposed to be practicing (if you truly think that way). If you do it in practice, you will do it in a game.

You really need to examine those stats and not ignore them .... it could help your understanding of the game tremendously. Those stats are where my margin of victory analysis came from. And put to bed strength of schedule for SSU and KSU and common opponents. Scheduling has EVERYTHING to do with coach's philosophy. Things change rapidly.

And don't be so sensitive! People other than you have VALID opinions!!!
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2008 10:20 PM by Go Fly Win Owls!.)
01-30-2008 10:15 PM
1st String

Not trying to trash you Fly...I agree that our defense isn't what it should be. But that was only one comment of your original post. You said we must improve defensively - I agree with that. But the other comments on your post were just wrong. Just because someone has an opinion doesn't mean it is the right opinion. We must get better on defense, but our team is in the midst of a 3 game winning streak. We have won only 6 games all year, and we beat a team that has had a better year than us so far. You make a primarily negative post as your only comment on the game - that is what caught me funny...I am not sensitive about it, just trying to defend our guys that are working hard, and starting to play better. We were awful to start the season, and now they are starting to find a way to compete as a team.

We held Savannah State to 42% FG in the second half. For a team that shoots the ball as well as they do, I think that is pretty decent. I like the stat-work though. You backed up your comment on defense overall, and I don't dispute that. But you can't ignore the fact that as a whole, the last three games have been probably 3 out of top 5 games we have played this year (add Mercer for sure on this, and I didn't see the game, but Texas State was double OT). Anyway - hopefully this is done. I just hope you look for the positives after our games as much as you seem to be looking for negatives.
01-30-2008 10:51 PM
Go Fly Win Owls! Offline
2nd String

Baby steps are nice but I am looking for overall improvement.

One day UNC, Memphis, Texas Tech, Kansas, etc. will be on our schedule and we need to be able to hang.
01-30-2008 11:06 PM
1st String

That day is several years away. You can't force feed steak to a baby :) We are still a year and a half away from even being allowed into the tournament. The budget for our entire athletic department is less than UNC's Men's Basketball recruiting budget. We are coming along nicely.....I love your enthusiasm though!
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2008 11:25 PM by KennesawBasketball.)
01-30-2008 11:24 PM
Advertisement

Goldfinger
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
I don't think you will find yourself on that kind of level...probably ever.
01-31-2008 11:43 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Nick M Offline
1st String

DonatorsDonators
Were you seven when your dreams were crushed gold? I think that might explain a lot.
01-31-2008 11:47 AM
Goldfinger
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
Let's just say that I am based in reality...while you people live in candyland.
01-31-2008 12:37 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Corn_3024 Offline
Special Teams

Go, Fly, Win, Owls! Wrote:Baby steps are nice but I am looking for overall improvement.

One day UNC, Memphis, Texas Tech, Kansas, etc. will be on our schedule and we need to be able to hang.

03-lmfao
01-31-2008 12:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.