RE: Big East Lax Closer to Reality
You know...PSU also has lacrosse 03-wink
01-13-2008 10:36 PM
Find all posts by this user
wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: West Virginia
seems like a no-brainer. although i can't say i'd ever care to watch a Lacrosse game, but that's just me :)
01-13-2008 10:38 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
Very cool. I'm glad to see the baby steps being taken on this.
01-14-2008 08:55 AM
Advertisement

Orange Eagles Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Syracuse
It really makes sense. It would still be a small league since so few of the BE schools actually have a LAX program. As long as there's still room to schedule the likes of Hopkins, Princeton, Cornell, etc. then I am game.

wvucrazed Wrote:seems like a no-brainer. although i can't say i'd ever care to watch a Lacrosse game, but that's just me :)
I guess my opinion is jaded when I come from a school with a program as storied as Syracuse...but the games are actually pretty fun to watch. Although I will say a majority of students go through their four years in Central New York never even noticing that the school has a hugely successful LAX program.
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2008 09:04 AM by Orange Eagles.)
01-14-2008 09:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

I Root For: America
Donators
I Love LAX. Cincinnati has a club team for the Men and have just started a women's program. It's such a fast paced sport and very physical with cross checking and use of the sticks. A couple of years ago I went to Philly with my son to watch the final four and had a great time.
01-14-2008 10:21 AM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
Orange Eagles Wrote:It really makes sense. It would still be a small league since so few of the BE schools actually have a LAX program. As long as there's still room to schedule the likes of Hopkins, Princeton, Cornell, etc. then I am game.

wvucrazed Wrote:seems like a no-brainer. although i can't say i'd ever care to watch a Lacrosse game, but that's just me :)
I guess my opinion is jaded when I come from a school with a program as storied as Syracuse...but the games are actually pretty fun to watch. Although I will say a majority of students go through their four years in Central New York never even noticing that the school has a hugely successful LAX program.

I agree as long as we can still schedule Princeton and Penn State every year. Who knows maybe we should invite Penn State out of the ECAC into Big East lacrosse? It would give us an even 8 teams and Cuse plays Penn State, Rutgers, and Georgetown every year anyway. It can definitely be made to work.
01-14-2008 10:25 AM
Advertisement

frogman Offline
1st String

I knew the BE would launch a lacrosse league once word got out about how much fun the boys over at Duke were having after hours. :)
01-14-2008 10:54 AM
Orange Eagles Offline
Special Teams

frogman Wrote:I knew the BE would launch a lacrosse league once word got out about how much fun the boys over at Duke were having after hours. :)
^ Hahaha, low blow.
01-14-2008 11:13 AM
Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

I Root For: RU, SJU, UConn
Finally. It is about time more people started getting on board with this idea. The possibility of having both Penn State and Johns Hopkins join as lacrosse-only members would really make the league something special. Penn State keeps the hopeful, but unlikely, idea burning in the back of some people's minds that they could also join one day for certain other sports. Johns Hopkins will never move any of their other sports to Division I, so there is no reason to worry about them causing trouble, and they have one of the most impressive lacrosse traditions around. This would give us a nine-team league with everyone getting four home games and four away games. Sound familiar? LOL.

POTENTIAL BIG EAST IN LAX
Syracuse (Independent)
Providence (MAAC)
St. John's (ECAC)
Rutgers (ECAC)
Villanova (CAA)
Georgetown (ECAC)
Notre Dame (GWLL)
Penn State (ECAC)
Johns Hopkins (Independent)
01-14-2008 03:10 PM
Advertisement

CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
I know UofL (non-existent currently) doesn't compare to Johns Hopkins, but I wouldn't be shocked if the Cardinals started men's lacrosse. They wouldn't be in the league immediately but if a sport is added, that would be it. We currently play in more league sports than any other school, with men's lacrosse being the only Big East sponsored sport that we lack a team in.

We wouldn't be great at first if a league was started, but one only need look at the conference standings from the olympic sports to see that if a program was started, it would be given a well paid respected coach and the full financial resources of the AD's office to succeed.
01-14-2008 03:18 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
Friends of mine at works were talking about Lacrosse and trying out for it about a month ago.
01-14-2008 03:58 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
CollegeCard Wrote:I know UofL (non-existent currently) doesn't compare to Johns Hopkins, but I wouldn't be shocked if the Cardinals started men's lacrosse. They wouldn't be in the league immediately but if a sport is added, that would be it. We currently play in more league sports than any other school, with men's lacrosse being the only Big East sponsored sport that we lack a team in.

We wouldn't be great at first if a league was started, but one only need look at the conference standings from the olympic sports to see that if a program was started, it would be given a well paid respected coach and the full financial resources of the AD's office to succeed.

In the Louisvilles womens' basketball thread, there is some discussion about additional revenues for the league for womens bb, which could be huge. Imagine being able to get some additional revenues from a BE Lacrosse league. Lacrosse is a growing sport that is catching new viewers every year. The National Lacrosse League is growing every year. Soon, guys will be able to make a living playing that sport and then you will really see some college players getting interested in the sport.
01-14-2008 04:46 PM
Advertisement

TexanMark Online
Legend

Krocker Krapp Wrote:Finally. It is about time more people started getting on board with this idea. The possibility of having both Penn State and Johns Hopkins join as lacrosse-only members would really make the league something special. Penn State keeps the hopeful, but unlikely, idea burning in the back of some people's minds that they could also join one day for certain other sports. Johns Hopkins will never move any of their other sports to Division I, so there is no reason to worry about them causing trouble, and they have one of the most impressive lacrosse traditions around. This would give us a nine-team league with everyone getting four home games and four away games. Sound familiar? LOL.

Syracuse (Independent)
Providence (MAAC)
St. John's (ECAC)
Rutgers (ECAC)
Villanova (CAA)
Georgetown (ECAC)
Notre Dame (GWLL)
Penn State (ECAC)
Johns Hopkins (Independent)

I would add Johns Hopkins in a heartbeat--however, I don't think they'll come. You'll probably have to invite Loyola (MD) first since they are an associate member in Chick Lax. Not sure if the Big East thinks the same way.

My League
Syracuse,
Notre Dame,
Georgetown,
Rutgers,
Loyola (MD){associate member}
and Nova
(take the best one of these programs Nova, SJU and Providence for the final spot-->probably Nova).

Make the other two prove they have the resources to compete. We don't need a watered down league...the proposed league above would get 4 bids every year with a 16 team playoff. If it gets expanded to 24 or more I have less problems with SJU and Providence. As for Cinci and Louisville-->grow your program and maybe in 5 years seek approval to join. Ohio lax is getting better so Cinci might be able to do well.

Penn State is interesting: I'd could go for it if it looks like it could help the Big East down the road.

Bottomline: the league needs flexibility to allow the elite teams a chance to play UVA, UNC/Duke, Johns Hopkins, Princeton and Cornell.
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2008 06:21 PM by TexanMark.)
01-14-2008 06:20 PM
Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

I Root For: RU, SJU, UConn
I think all Big East teams with a program have to be in the league for it to work properly. Last year people were all up in arms about Syracuse being the hold up so I see no reason now to tell Providence or St. John's that they are unworthy. If they get beat up then they just get beat up and it is on their shoulders to improve in the future.

Louisville starting a program and joining right away would be perfectly fine with me too. You know Tom Jurich is going to pour in whatever resources it takes for them to be successful. Loyola instead of Johns Hopkins, if they want to stay independent, is fine with me too. The Cardinals and Greyhounds can replace Penn State and the Hop.

Syracuse (Independent)
Providence (MAAC)
St. John's (ECAC)
Rutgers (ECAC)
Villanova (CAA)
Georgetown (ECAC)
Notre Dame (GWLL)
Louisville (Nonexistent)
Loyola of Maryland (MAAC)

I am not sure who would start a new program first between the Cardinals and Cincinnati but I would bet on Louisville if pushed. The Bearcats could always replace Loyola later. Eight conference games still leaves Syracuse at least six dates to play Johns Hopkins, the Ivies, and ACC teams. Loyola can always be left out to free up another date.

In fact, now that I think about it, forget Loyola, Johns Hopkins, or Penn State. Go with seven teams and a three/three home/away schedule. Louisville and Cincinnati can be added down the road after they start their programs and get up to speed. That would leave Syracuse at least eight dates to play their traditional opponents. Even better.
01-15-2008 02:40 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.