Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Article: West Virginia wins Lambert Trophy
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
Article: West Virginia wins Lambert Trophy
Wow, was this a big deal once upon a team. Its sad to see its kind of an afterthought now

Jackson

Jan 7, 2008

ECAC Announces Final Lambert Meadowlands Football Poll
CAPE COD, Mass. - The Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) has announced the final weekly ECAC Lambert Meadowlands Football Poll presented by FieldTurf Tarkett. Two of the four polls remain the same at the top, but there are changes in the Championship Subdivision and Division III. In the Championship Subdivision Poll, Delaware has claimed the top spot after its run to the National Championship game. In Division III, Wesley College edged out St. John Fisher for No. 1. The Wolverines finished the season ranked No. 5 nationally and advanced to the NCAA Quarterfinals.

In the Bowl Subdivision poll, West Virginia remained at No. 1 with Boston College in second. California University (PA) finished on top in Division II. The Vulcans remained at No. 1 throughout the season in the Division II poll.

For West Virginia, it is the third time in school history that it has claimed the Lambert Meadowlands Trophy. The Mountaineers first won the award in 1988 and claimed the trophy again in 1993.

For Delaware, it is a record19th time that it has won the Lambert Meadowlands Cup, more than any school in the Football Championship Subdivision. Penn State has won the Lambert Meadowlands Trophy a record 26 times in the Football Bowl Subdivision.

In Division II and Division III, California University (PA) and Wesley will both be claiming the award for the first time in school history.

The first place teams in the final poll will be presented with their Lambert Meadowlands Awards during the Eastern College Football Awards Banquet, held in the Pegasus Restaurant at the Meadowlands Sports Complex on February 19, 2008.

Established in 1936 as the Lambert Trophy to recognize supremacy in Eastern college football, the award has since grown to recognize the best team in the East in the Bowl Subdivision. In 1957, the Lambert Cup was created to recognize non-Division I-A teams, and in 1966 a Division III award was added. In 1983, the Lambert family decided the Meadowlands Sports Complex would be the best organization with a sincere and involved interest in college athletics to sponsor and manage the award, and since that time, the awards have been known as the Lambert Meadowlands Awards.

To be eligible for the Lambert Meadowlands Award, a school must be located in the East or play half of its schedule against eligible Lambert teams. The territory includes New York, New Jersey, New England and Pennsylvania, while teams in the bordering states of Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia and the District of Columbia qualify if half of their schedule features eligible teams.

ECAC Lambert Meadowlands
Bowl Subdivision (I-A) Football Poll
presented by FieldTurf Tarkett
1. West Virginia
2. Boston College
3. Penn State
4. Cincinnati
5. South Florida
6. Rutgers
7. Connecticut
8. Louisville
9. Navy
10. Pittsburgh

ECAC Lambert Meadowlands
Championship Subdivision (I-AA) Football Poll
1. Delaware
2. Richmond
3. Massachusetts
4. James Madison
5. Harvard
6. New Hampshire
7. Yale
8. Fordham
9. Villanova
10. Hofstra

ECAC Lambert Meadowlands
Division II Football Poll
1. California (PA)
2. Indiana Univ. (PA)
3. West Chester
4. Southern Conn. State
5. Bloomsburg
6. Slippery Rock
7. Bryant
7. Edinboro
9. Bentley
10. American International

ECAC Lambert Meadowlands
Division III Football Poll
1. Wesley
2. St. John Fisher
3. Muhlenberg
4. Washington & Jefferson
5. College of New Jersey
6. Curry
6. Salisbury
8. Ithaca
9. Hobart
9. Rensselaer
01-07-2008 09:18 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

UltimateCFBfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: R! U! RAH! RAH!
RE: Article: West Virginia wins Lambert Trophy
Top 6 wooooo ....congrats WVU
01-07-2008 09:21 PM
Orange Eagles Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Syracuse
Good to see. I still love this trophy and I wish it was given more attention. Perhaps the resurgence of the BE will help revive this tradition.
01-08-2008 11:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
I'd prefer to see the Lambert Trophy go by the wayside. The BEast needs to adopt one of their own. The Lambert belongs to another era, and another age.
01-08-2008 11:58 AM
Orange Eagles Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Syracuse
bitcruncher Wrote:I'd prefer to see the Lambert Trophy go by the wayside. The BEast needs to adopt one of their own. The Lambert belongs to another era, and another age.

The Lambert is still a dream I'd like to fantasize about.

So tempting:
Syracuse, Pitt, Penn State, BC, Rutgers, West Virginia, Maryland, UConn, Temple

That would be one of the best and most-publicized college football conferences in the country and would spell "R-I-V-A-L-R-Y" in each game...every single week!
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2008 12:06 PM by Orange Eagles.)
01-08-2008 12:03 PM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
It isn't the Mountaineers fault it didn't happen.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2008 12:15 PM by bitcruncher.)
01-08-2008 12:15 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
Congratulations, West Virginia. 04-cheers
01-08-2008 12:18 PM
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
Looks like the old Big East with Maryland... didn't see to help back then.
01-08-2008 12:36 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
I can't take credit for this idea (probably omni or KK) but it would have been nice to have enough Eastern Indys in house so the conference trophy and Lambert Trophy would be one and the same. How nice would that have been?

Jackson
01-08-2008 02:53 PM
Advertisement

TopCoog Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I really enjoyed watching West Virginia in the Fiesta Bowl, what a great effort. OU had no answer for WestVA linebackers who just did what they wanted to do all night long. That Schmidt guy is a real player as well. Its too bad we do not have a playoff so they could have moved on to the next round. No bowl team was better prepared to play this year than West Virginia.
01-10-2008 04:54 AM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
TopCoog Wrote:I really enjoyed watching West Virginia in the Fiesta Bowl, what a great effort. OU had no answer for WestVA linebackers who just did what they wanted to do all night long. That Schmidt guy is a real player as well. Its too bad we do not have a playoff so they could have moved on to the next round. No bowl team was better prepared to play this year than West Virginia.

This season was a perfect reason why we should have had a playoff system. Teams like West Virginia, USC, Missouri and Georgia being as hot as they were. And, on a little bit of a lesser scale, teams like Kansas and even BYU would have at least been given a chance.
01-11-2008 12:09 AM
CardHouse Offline
1st String

I Root For: UofL
Louisville won the Lambert Trophy last season, but none of us knew what the hell it was. 04-jawdrop
01-12-2008 07:44 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.