Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bookmark and Share
MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

I Root For: The Bears

Donators
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2009 09:45 PM by MercerFan.)
01-05-2008 07:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mubear Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
RE: Fire our coach
You've been hanging out with the ETSU people to much where the answer is fire everyone and everything.

My warning to you is the grass is not always greener on the other side. I don't talk to too many people back at mercer now that i'm in the real world but i am really good friends with sarah on the girls team. i don't know her views on their new coach but i have heard there are a ton of problems. She cut a lot of players from last year and replaced them with her own. They are down to like 6 players and are having to play a volleyball girl. They might win a game or two more but it looks like they might be yearning for the days of Brenda Welch-Nichols(never thought you'd hear that huh).

The basketball has had some bad luck. After the championship year Emerson and Odoms had broken foots which hurt chances of defending title. The championship year was as strong a year in asun as ever. I've seen elsewhere where you think losing to UCF was uncalled for that year. They were a 20 win team(along with Troy and Belmont that year i believe). Not really an upset at all. It was a war of a game.

Lastly, the suspensions a few years back of a supreme talent(D. Coleman) set the program back a few years w/ one recruiting class with Dolan/Pfohl that was just okay. It was not a great class with a stud, but solid role players. They are just now recovering. The USC win skewwed your expectations. For me, I thought the bears should move into the upper tier of conf this year but they wouldn't be ready to win it yet. Next year is the year they should win it all. Daniel Emerson will be a better player than Dolan/Pfohl combined, Henry will be a senior, Florence will be a wiser junior. Hopefully he will realize to trust other people. I don't think he is selfish, just too cocky that he can do it all himself which gets him in trouble. He still may need this year to learn that lesson. Both the freshman this year(not sure their names but supposed to be good i think) will be a year wiser. that will be the year to make the move. Some bad luck and those suspensions have set Mercer back. Now they are ready again and just starting to get there. Just my opinion, but I am a Coach Slon supporter. I took his class. I think he is the best thing on Mercer Univerisity's campus. So if Mercer does fire him, they will win next year with a heck of a team. But after that I'm not sure you will be able to match the things Coach Slon brings to the table for Mercer. Now if next year he doesn't finish 1st or 2nd you may have a gripe.
01-08-2008 01:13 PM
KennesawBasketball Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kennesaw
You are crazy if you think that Slonaker needs to be fired. He is exactly what you want as a head coach. He wins ballgames, will give you a chance to win championships, and does it the right way. Not to mention he is well-respected in the coaching community and seems to be an all around good guy.

The above poster is correct when he states "the grass is not always greener on the other side". Slonaker has Mercer basketball on the rise. You will compete for the title this year, and next year you might be the favorites. What more are you looking for from a small private school with excellent academics?
01-08-2008 01:19 PM
MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

Donators
01-08-2008 03:22 PM
MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

Donators
01-08-2008 03:31 PM
Advertisement

MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

Donators
mubear Wrote:I've seen elsewhere where you think losing to UCF was uncalled for that year. They were a 20 win team(along with Troy and Belmont that year i believe). Not really an upset at all. It was a war of a game.

Sorry MU BEAR .... I respect your opinion too.... but that game was a BLOW OUT! It was *close* til the half. Then the wheels fell off. Don't forget WE BEAT THAT TEAM TWICE in the regular season that year. I think by decent margins to boot. That's a coach that found a way to win, and win big! UCF deserved big praise for that one.

And like your original post of excuses. I've handed out those excuses for years as well. Now it's time to stop.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2008 03:48 PM by MercerFan.)
01-08-2008 03:41 PM
KennesawBasketball Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kennesaw
I respect your opinion's too, and can understand where fan frustration comes in...I just wouldn't think that now would be that time. You have an exciting team, that will definitely finish top 4 in the league this year (and I think could win it), and next year you will be even better. Now is a time for optimism if there ever was one for a Mercer fan.
01-08-2008 04:12 PM
MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

Donators
RE: FIRE OUR COACH
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2009 09:46 PM by MercerFan.)
01-12-2008 03:52 PM
MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

Donators
RE: FIRE OUR COACH ... NOW!
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2009 09:46 PM by MercerFan.)
01-12-2008 05:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.