Cotton Bowl reportedly hoping to join BCS party in 2011
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
ESPN.com news services

Updated: December 29, 2007, 11:19 AM ET

The Dallas Cowboys' new 80,000-seat stadium in Arlington, Texas might be just the key to unlock the Cotton Bowl's inclusion in one of college football's most exclusive clubs: The BCS.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, who has a special place in his heart for the Cotton Bowl after helping Arkansas win the national championship there in 1965 with a win over Nebraska, hopes the bowl game that has been played since 1937 can join the BCS, according to a published report.

Cotton Bowl Classic chairman Bruce Gadd notes that if it weren't for Jones' new stadium, the talk of BCS inclusion would be a short discussion.

"The missing piece has been that stadium," Gadd told the Kansas City Star.

Weather is traditionally not an issue for the hosts of the other BCS bowl games. Those sites -- Orange Bowl (South Florida), Sugar Bowl (Superdome), Fiesta Bowl (Arizona), Rose Bowl (California) -- are all either indoors or in warm weather climates. Mother Nature has been known to wreak havoc on Texas in January.

"What we didn't have was a world-class stadium with weather protection," Gadd told the paper. "We were perceived as a cold-weather bowl a lot."

The Cowboys' new stadium is expected to have a retractable roof.

Missouri athletic director Mike Alden believes that once the Cotton Bowl moves to the Cowboys new stadium, it "would be an ideal addition" to the BCS bowl lineup.

"People in this area and this state believe in that," Alden told The Star.

While the BCS bowls are lined up through the January 2010 games, Gadd expects to know as early as next year if the Cotton Bowl will get invited to the BCS party.

"Decisions will be made probably in 2008," Gadd told the paper, "about the next generation of the BCS."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls07/ne...id=3172508
12-29-2007 11:54 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
RE: Cotton Bowl reportedly hoping to join BCS party in 2011
Though the Cotton Bowl has great history, I would rather see another BCS bowl game in a bit warmer place.
12-29-2007 11:58 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

army56mike Wrote:Though the Cotton Bowl has great history, I would rather see another BCS bowl game in a bit warmer place.

Dallas is cool in the winter and really not much worse then Jacksonville. Plus the new Jerry Dome will have a retractable roof so in case of bad weather it will not effect the game.

What is interesting to me is this, IF the Cotton Bowl becomes a BCS Bowl game then the SEC and BIG TEN will lose a Bowl Tie-In. My guess is that Rick Catlett will go after his much wanted SEC-ACC matchup in the Gator Bowl. This could hurt the BIG EAST even more, but the Cotton Bowl could become either the Big XII or BIG EAST Bowl tie-in and that would leave us in even a better spot for the BCS Bid.

Orange Bowl - ACC
Fiesta Bowl - BIG EAST
Cotton Bowl - Big XII
Sugar Bowl - SEC
Rose Bowl - Big Ten/Pac Ten
12-29-2007 12:02 PM
ECUgradstudent Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Maize Wrote:
army56mike Wrote:Though the Cotton Bowl has great history, I would rather see another BCS bowl game in a bit warmer place.

Dallas is cool in the winter and really not much worse then Jacksonville. Plus the new Jerry Dome will have a retractable roof so in case of bad weather it will not effect the game.

What is interesting to me is this, IF the Cotton Bowl becomes a BCS Bowl game then the SEC and BIG TEN will lose a Bowl Tie-In. My guess is that Rick Catlett will go after his much wanted SEC-ACC matchup in the Gator Bowl. This could hurt the BIG EAST even more, but the Cotton Bowl could become either the Big XII or BIG EAST Bowl tie-in and that would leave us in even a better spot for the BCS Bid.

Orange Bowl - ACC
Fiesta Bowl - BIG EAST
Cotton Bowl - Big XII
Sugar Bowl - SEC

I think if the Cotton makes it into the rotation, either the Orange or Sugar will be out unless they come up with new stadiums.
12-29-2007 12:15 PM
Advertisement

GDAWG Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: North Texas
ECUgradstudent Wrote:
Maize Wrote:

Orange Bowl - ACC
Fiesta Bowl - BIG EAST
Cotton Bowl - Big XII
Sugar Bowl - SEC

I think if the Cotton makes it into the rotation, either the Orange or Sugar will be out unless they come up with new stadiums.

Dolphin Stadium (home of the Orange Bowl) will undergo major stadium renovations whenever the Baseball team moves out. There is talk of replacing the Original Orange Bowl with a baseball stadium and as soon as the Marlins move out, renovation can began after the Orange Bowl.

Of course, at this rate, renovations may not happen until 2020.
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2007 12:28 PM by GDAWG.)
12-29-2007 12:23 PM
templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
I think some body gets droped if Cotton bowl moves up.
12-29-2007 12:26 PM
GDAWG Offline
Water Engineer

templefootballfan Wrote:I think some body gets droped if Cotton bowl moves up.

It will probably be the Sugar Bowl.
12-29-2007 12:28 PM
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

templefootballfan Wrote:I think some body gets droped if Cotton bowl moves up.

I don't think so, like the above posters said Dolphin Stadium is schedule for some renovations and really that Stadium is only 20 years old. The Fiesta Bowl is in a brand new stadium and if I am not mistaken the SuperDome is going to do the same.

I could see the Plus One Model in the next contract and as we know the BCS is more inclusive then exclusive.
12-29-2007 12:31 PM
GDAWG Offline
Water Engineer

Dolphin Stadium renovations will only happen when the Marlins move out of there and who knows when they will move out of there. It could be another decade of baseball at Dolphin Stadium before the Marlins move out of there, with the way things are going with plans for a new stadium for them.
12-29-2007 12:48 PM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
The Superdome just had a load of renevations done. Much of the inside was redone from Hurricane Katrina.

The Fiesta won't tie itself to the Big East and I don't believe the Cotton would either. As we're finding out, as a conference we might not be ideal for a bowl far west of the Mississippi (no offense meant to the WV fans).

Yeah there would be some shuffling on the bowl front if the Cotton moved up. The Gator could be affected, but so could the Holiday, Sun and several other 2nd tier bowls.

The Big East will need to hitch itself to the Orange or Fiesta. And I believe we won't have a separate BCS championship game, but that one of these games will host the national championship game. My hope is

Orange - ACC
Sugar - SEC & Big East
Cotton - Big 12
Rose - Big Ten & PAC-10
Fiesta - At-Larges (2)

Selection order:

Once #1 & #2 are determined and after the conference champs that aren't in the top 2 of the BCS fill their anchor slots, the two bowls that lost teams would pick teams. The bowl that lost #1 gets the 1st replacement, then the bowl that lost #2 gets a replacement (both of these are if applicable). The Fiesta, as a double at-large, would always get the 1st at-large pick (call it a sandwich pick like in the MLB draft). After that, picks would rotate between the remaining bowls that have at-large slots (Fiesta, Cotton, Orange).

If it was in place this year, lets say that Cotton was the national championship, moving Oklahoma into the at-large pool.

Cotton - LSU vs. Ohio St.
Orange - Virginia Tech vs. #1 at-large
Sugar - W. Virginia vs. #2 replacement
Rose - USC vs. #1 replacement
Fiesta - Sandwich pick vs. #2 at-large

You can then mix and match between the following available teams: Oklahoma*, Hawai'i*, Georgia, Kansas, Arizona St., Florida, Illinois, Boston College.

*Oklahoma and Hawai'i are guaranteed sports based on winning a conference and/or finish in BCS standings
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2007 01:01 PM by mattsarz.)
12-29-2007 01:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
No one's getting pushed out, they're adding a 5th bowl. This has been talked about for 4 or 5 years. Remember a few years ago when the Gator Bowl tried to get in? the idea was always to add a 5th BCS bowl. The idea is to have one of the bowls host national championship game while still have the same number of BCS berth available. Right now, in order to have these BCS berths available and make room for non-BCS schools one of the BCS bowls have to be played twice, which conferences don't like, especially the Rose Bowl. The Big East needs to get in there and secure an automatic berth at one of those bowls, preferably the Orange or Cotton Bowl.
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2007 01:12 PM by CatsClaw.)
12-29-2007 01:10 PM
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I have to think that a 5th BCS bowl makes it better for all BCS conferences...and so I have to believe BE will be better off. I have said that before about the BE and the Cotton Bowl. The Big 12 is a super aggressive super obnoxious conference. And the key to all this for BE is the 11AM Cotton Bowl start...SEC won't let two SEC teams be on tv at the same time....the Big 12 hates this. So it would not suprise me to see Big 12 start wheeling and dealing here....and it wouldn't surprise me to see a Big 12 vs BE bowl game of two conference champions. The BE is good enough and the 11AM start is bad enough to cancel out the goodness of the current Cotton Bowl/SEC arrangement.
12-29-2007 03:28 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
I think if the NCAA is stupid enough to continue to support the bowl system, rather than have a playoff, they are too stupid to be allowed to run things.
12-29-2007 04:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Crimsonelf Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cardinals
I hope they have 5 BCS bowls and the title game, or a plus one. And this for one main reason, to take some of the pressure off the BE. If there are more overall slots available for BCS teams, then maybe some of the other BCS conferences won't harbor fantasies of ditching the BE. Of course, they also have to be considering the fact that a non-BCS team has been able to make a BCS bowl 3 of the last 4 years.

Come to think of it, it also wouldn't surprise me if the extra BCS bowl provided a venue to shunt the BE champ off to play against a non-BCS qualifier. The 'power programs' cannot like being matched up against the likes of Boise St. or Hawaii. In fact, they probably don't like being matched up against the BE, for that matter. Such prejudice...
12-29-2007 08:13 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
CatsClaw Wrote:No one's getting pushed out, they're adding a 5th bowl. This has been talked about for 4 or 5 years. Remember a few years ago when the Gator Bowl tried to get in? the idea was always to add a 5th BCS bowl. The idea is to have one of the bowls host national championship game while still have the same number of BCS berth available. Right now, in order to have these BCS berths available and make room for non-BCS schools one of the BCS bowls have to be played twice, which conferences don't like, especially the Rose Bowl. The Big East needs to get in there and secure an automatic berth at one of those bowls, preferably the Orange or Cotton Bowl.

I thought the same.

Why not bring back some history then too:

Orange Bowl: Big XII North team wins the bid
Cotton Bowl: Big XII South team wins the bid (although I believe the Oklahoma schools were involved in the early SWC and then the Big 8 for sure)
Fiesta Bowl: At larges
Rose Bowl: Big 10/Pac10
Sugar Bowl: SEC

ACC now to the Orange Bowl every ^@%^$% year? Thanks Florida members...so much for nostalgia!
12-30-2007 11:18 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.