Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ejmpalle's crazy WAC predictions based purely on stats...
Bookmark and Share
ejmpalle Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Utah State
ejmpalle's crazy WAC predictions based purely on stats...
[Image: PurelyStats1.jpg]

[Image: PurelyStats2.jpg]

I've taken the Rushing Offense, Passing Offense, Rushing Defense, and Passing Defense stats from ncaa.org and averaged those statistical rankings for all WAC teams and all of their D1A OOC opponents. I match those teams up according to their schedule, in the second pic, and assign a "W" to the team with the higher average ranking and vice versa with an "L".

Here are the results;

2006 Final Predicted Standings
1. Fresno St 11-1 8-0
2. Boise St 10-2 7-1
3. Nevada 10-2 6-2
4. La Tech 8-5 5-3
5. Hawaii 7-6 4-4
6. SJSU 5-7 3-5
7. Idaho 3-9 2-6
8. Utah St 1-11 1-7
9. NMSU 2-10 0-8

Of course, this is based purely on stats and only 4 statistical categories, and doesn't take into account home field advantages, travel, injuries and other changes that would take place from last year.

I found it interesting. It could be used as a barometer to see how our teams have improved since last year when the season is over.
07-27-2006 10:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SJGregg Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

I can't argue with those though I would like to see my Spartans at .500 at least.
07-27-2006 11:05 AM
eldermars Offline
2nd String

I Root For: BYU

If you only found a way to factor personnel losses into your scenario.

For example, Fresno State starting a new quarterback is gonna cost them at least a couple of games. Utah missing their only running back threat can't be good for them. TCU loses 4 starting O-Lineman. BYU lost WR Todd Watkins. Nevada lost a great RB.

Perhaps take the # of starters from last year's team, divide by the number of returning starters, and then multiply that by the final score that you came up with (the sum of the rush/pass offense/defense national rankings, divided by four).

...perhaps we're getting too into this. And it still wouldn't factor in new freshmen starters, JC recruits, and transfer players.
07-27-2006 01:26 PM
Advertisement

ejmpalle Offline
Special Teams

Re
If my count is correct, the WAC would have the following records;

PAC 10: 6-3
BCS: 8-10
MWC: 5-6
Other D1A: 1-1

I see our record vs the MWC being better, but our record vs the BCS not being so good. I show our only losses to PAC 10 teams being Idaho @Washington St, Idaho @Oregon St and SJSU @Washington.
07-31-2006 10:27 AM
ejmpalle Offline
Special Teams

Re
Just to give you an idea of how accurate this was using last year's stats...

Running last year's schedule, before bowls, here are the records according to this kind of analysis.

Team Overall Conference (Actual) Difference
Fresno St 10-2 8-0 (8-4 6-2) -2
Boise St 10-2 7-1 (9-3 7-1) -1
Nevada 9-2 6-2 (8-3 7-1) -1
La Tech 5-6 5-3 (7-4 6-2) +2
Hawaii 4-8 4-4 (5-7 4-4) +1
SJSU 5-6 3-5 (3-8 2-6) -2
Idaho 3-8 2-6 (2-9 2-6) -1
Utah St 2-9 1-7 (3-8 2-6) +1
NMSU 0-12 0-8 (0-12 0-8) 0

Negative Difference: Underachievers Positive Difference: Overachievers
07-31-2006 11:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.