Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

NTR- soft rock singer Dan Fogelberg is dead
Bookmark and Share
eltigre Offline
Chief Headknocker

I Root For: Throat Punches
NTR- soft rock singer Dan Fogelberg is dead
NEW YORK (AP) -- Dan Fogelberg, the singer and songwriter whose hits "Leader of the Band" and "Same Old Lang Syne" helped define the soft-rock era, died Sunday at his home in Maine after battling prostate cancer. He was 56.

Singer Dan Fogelberg discovered he had advanced prostate cancer in 2004.

His death was announced Sunday on the singer's Web site.

"Dan left us this morning at 6 a.m. He fought a brave battle with cancer and died peacefully at home in Maine with his wife, Jean, at his side," it read. "His strength, dignity and grace in the face of the daunting challenges of this disease were an inspiration to all who knew him."

Fogelberg discovered he had advanced prostate cancer in 2004. In a statement then, he thanked fans for their support: "It is truly overwhelming and humbling to realize how many lives my music has touched so deeply all these years. ... I thank you from the very depths of my heart."

Fogelberg's music was powerful in its simplicity. He didn't rely on the volume of his voice to convey his emotions; instead, they came through in the soft, tender delivery and his poignant lyrics. Songs like "Same Old Lang Syne" -- in which a man reminisces after meeting an old girlfriend by chance during the holidays -- became classics not only because of his performance, but also for the engaging storyline.

Fogelberg's heyday was in the 1970s and early '80s, when he scored several platinum and multiplatinum records fueled by such hits as "The Power of Gold" and "Leader of the Band," a touching tribute he wrote to his father, a bandleader. Fogelberg put out his first album in 1972.

Fogelberg's songs tended to have a weighty tone, reflecting on emotional issues in a serious way. But in an interview with the Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Journal Sentinel in 1997, he said it did not represent his personality.

"That came from my singles in the early '80s," he reflects. "I think it probably really started on the radio. I'm not a dour person in the least. I'm actually kind of a happy person. Music doesn't really reflect the whole person.

"One of my dearest friends is Jimmy Buffett. From his music, people have this perception that he's up all the time, and, of course, he's not. Jimmy has a serious side, too."

Later in his career, he would write material that focused on the state of the environment, an issue close to his heart. Fogelberg's last album was 2003's "Full Circle," his first album of original material in a decade. A year later he would receive his cancer diagnosis, forcing him to forgo a planned fall
12-16-2007 11:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HornLakeTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
RE: NTR- soft rock singer Dan Fogelberg is dead
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhjYbfK9vrk

I know I'm a little younger than the ones who grew up listening to Fogelberg, but the first time I heard Same Old Lang Syne some years ago, I became a fan of his music pretty quickly.
12-17-2007 12:13 AM
TigerTitan Offline
Ginourmous Fan

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS

DonatorsDonators
For a short while in the 70's he lived in the Nashville area and dated a girl from Kingston Springs, who lived next door to a high school friend of mine. That's the only reason I knew this, in the first place.

We used to see him walking into and out of the house from time to time. I was already a fan enjoying his songs (other than "Another Auld Lang Syne") recalling my lazy days at the lake.
12-17-2007 12:35 AM
RandyMc Offline
Reverend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
There were so many. I listened to his song, "The Reach" so many times while living in New England visiting the "shore" (what yankees call the beach) during the late fall. It was my favorite time to be at the shore.

I came of age listening to his music. He was of the same influence as Jackson Browne, Randy Meisner and the rest of the southern California songwriters of the early to mid 70s that made their own footprint in the art. I will miss his talent.
12-17-2007 12:39 AM
DM3Tiger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: U of Memphis
Sad to hear. He was too young. My favorite song of his was "Leader of the band".
12-17-2007 01:07 AM
Advertisement

ValenciaVol Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: USA
Super nice man. Met him in Memphis when I was in the record business and always tried to keep in touch with him. He even remembered me several years later when he was on the west coast. He will be missed, prays to his family.
12-17-2007 04:37 AM
missjtiger Offline
KOKO'S MOMMA/D.J.'S MOMS
Jersey Retired

Crappies
12-17-2007 06:37 AM
Foxtrot Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Great lyrics...

"... but his blood runs through my fingertips, and his song is in my soul. Life has been a poor attempt, to imitate the man, I am the living legend to the leader of the band."
12-17-2007 07:14 AM
Strat57 Offline
Rock & Roll Shaman

CrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
Dan actaually lived in Kingston Springs on property next to former Memphian Ed Bruce who wrote MAMA DON'T LET YOUR BABIES GROW UP TO BE COWBOYS. He moved to Colorado before settling in New England. I met him several times and found him to be a charming man who saw more in relationships than many of us do. He wrote in a style that was lush and layered but he was also a concerned citizen who was very active in environmental causes in Colorado when he lived there. For those who are curious, check out Netherlands or Soverniers... great albums. I hope that this insidious form of cancer becomes less of a threat as we go forward.
12-17-2007 07:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HHammerhead Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Football

Donators
Y'all gripe about my "NTR-Quiet Riot Singer Dead" thread and have it moved to NTR immediately but Dan Fogelberg gets to hang on in the Dockery-Finch forum? Am I seeing a little anti-metal discrimination?

Dan Fogelberg in the NTR forum now! 01-lauramac2
12-17-2007 08:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RCM1029 Away
Hall of Famer

TigerTitan Wrote:For a short while in the 70's he lived in the Nashville area and dated a girl from Kingston Springs, who lived next door to a high school friend of mine. That's the only reason I knew this, in the first place.

We used to see him walking into and out of the house from time to time. I was already a fan enjoying his songs (other than "Another Auld Lang Syne") recalling my lazy days at the lake.

He also took some classes at MTSU a couple of years before I did. There were stories around campus that Fogelberg used to sit on the lawn in front of the UC and play his guitar and sing. A group of students started making fun of his "different" kind of music, so he left and never came back...refusing to do a show at MTSU's Murphy Center after he made it in the business.

Loved his stuff...RIP.
12-17-2007 08:45 AM
fbgdkh Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Being a musician, Dan's music was an incredible influence on the way I write tunes. I feel like someone kicked me in the gut. I feel that a small piece of me is gone now.

There will never be another like him. Incredible.
12-17-2007 09:03 AM
BengalBurger Offline
with cheese!

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
Foxtrot Wrote:Great lyrics...

"... but his blood runs through my fingertips, and his song is in my soul. Life has been a poor attempt, to imitate the man, I am the living legacy to the leader of the band."
12-17-2007 10:20 AM
Advertisement

mphsfan Offline
Unapologetic Supporter

I Root For: Memphis &

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Fogelberg's dead.
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2007 10:22 AM by mphsfan.)
12-17-2007 10:21 AM
GermantownTiger Offline
Capitalism Rules!

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Strat57 Wrote:check out Netherlands

I have to agree with you on Netherlands...an amazing demonstration of musical & artistic talent to be sure. 04-rock
12-17-2007 10:24 AM
TigerTitan Offline
Ginourmous Fan

DonatorsDonators
Strat57 Wrote:Dan actaually lived in Kingston Springs....
Thanks for setting me straight, Strat!

I was just a dumb teenager being nosy when I visited friend's family house. They must have lived on the other side of Fogelberg's home, I guess. I couldn't find the house today if my life depended on it, but I know it's not far from where I live today in Bellevue near McCrory Lane exit on I-40. Very hilly and secluded and beuatiful area just outside the southwest corner of Davidson county.
12-17-2007 11:00 PM
eltigre Offline
Chief Headknocker

I Root For: Throat Punches
Strat57 Wrote:For those who are curious, check out Netherlands or Soverniers... great albums. I hope that this insidious form of cancer becomes less of a threat as we go forward.

Souvenirs was not the first but one of the first albums I ever bought. Part of the Plan is a great song. I have neglected listening to his work for awhile until I heard this news. It's funny how you "rediscover" things and then you listen to "lost music" again and the memories that are attached come along for the ride. What a cool legacy that he knew he was leaving. That has to be the apex of being a musician imo - loving what you are doing and knowing that it impacts others.
12-17-2007 11:32 PM
Advertisement

oldmangrizz Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: free love
HHammerhead Wrote:Am I seeing a little anti-metal discrimination?

Yes, and for good reason. 05-stirthepot
12-18-2007 06:50 AM
HHammerhead Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Football

Donators
oldmangrizz Wrote:
HHammerhead Wrote:Am I seeing a little anti-metal discrimination?

Yes, and for good reason. 05-stirthepot

I was trying to think of a good "old man" comeback, but admitting that I liked Quiet Riot is enough of an indication that I deserve to be called "old man" as well. Those of us who are '80's metal fans just aren't as young as we used to be!
12-19-2007 12:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.