I Root For: UCONN
Article on UCONN Bowl Ticket Sales
http://wtnh.com/Global/story.asp?S=7480821

Quote:Huskies bowl game a hot ticket
Huskies bowl game a hot ticket - by Kent Pierce

by News Channel 8's Kent Pierce
Posted Dec. 11, 2007
11:40 AM

New Haven (WTNH) _ UConn is bowl bound, and plenty of hardcore Huskies fans are hoping to tag along to the Meineke Car Care Bowl in Charlotte at the end of the month. That means big business for one Connecticut travel agency.

The New Haven office of WorldTek Travel was almost as exciting as UConn's campus when the Huskies football team got invited to the Meineke Car Care Bowl. Worldtek Travel is the official travel agent for UConn sports.

"For 48 hours it's pretty intense, with a lot of calls, a lot of questions, and a lot of excitement," WorldTek's Dave Smith said.

There are a lot of people trying to book flights to, and hotels in, Charlotte, North Carolina. So many, in fact, that when you look at the uconnbowl.com web site right now, you see the same words over and over again -- "Sold Out".

"Yeah, right now we're completely sold out," Smith said. "We're taking some wait lists, so we're trying to get some more planes, get some more rooms, and get as many fans down to Charlotte as we can."

The folks here at WorldTek are actually old pros at this. They've actually been sending fans to see UConn sporting events for more than a quarter of a century. But up until recently, it's been for a different sport.

UConn's basketball teams have had a loyal following for years, but football stadiums have a lot more seats than basketball arenas. UConn sold about 5,000 tickets to its first bowl game in Detroit in 2004, and interest in UConn football has grown and grown.

"And in comparison to the first bowl game -- the Motor City Bowl in Detroit a few years back -- the ticket sales have basically doubled compared to what it was three years ago."

Even so, there are still plenty of tickets available. The trick is getting there, it's about 725 miles from New Haven, and then getting a hotel room.

Even though WorldTek is still sold out, it does have waiting lists, and they are trying to line up another plane and more hotel rooms. For more information on that visit http://www.uconnbowl.com
12-11-2007 04:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

ccbfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
RE: Article on UCONN Bowl Ticket Sales
I heard from somewhere to expect the tickets to be sold out today or tomorrow.

I heard all upper level and club seating are sold out and that there is less 1000 tickets remaining.
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2007 09:43 AM by ccbfan.)
12-12-2007 09:40 AM
Find all posts by this user
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
[quote=SF Husky]

[quote]Huskies bowl game a hot ticket

UConn's basketball teams have had a loyal following for years, but football stadiums have a lot more seats than basketball arenas. [b]UConn sold about 5,000 tickets to its first bowl game in Detroit in 2004, and interest in UConn football has grown and grown.

"And in comparison to the first bowl game -- the Motor City Bowl in Detroit a few years back -- the ticket sales have basically doubled compared to what it was three years ago."

Even so, there are still plenty of tickets available. The trick is getting there, it's about 725 miles from New Haven, and then getting a hotel room.

Even though WorldTek is still sold out, it does have waiting lists, and they are trying to line up another plane and more hotel rooms. For more information on that visit http://www.uconnbowl.com[/quote]

So which is correct? I have heard Uconn fans claim that they took 10,000 to the Motor City Bowl in 2004. The article states that they sold 5,000 tickets. This is the first time that I have seen anything written concerning the Uconn fan attendance at that bowl.

But if the tickets sold for the Charlotte Bowl is doubling that of the MCB, thats not too shabby at all. I would say that is 10,000 tickets sold is pretty respectable.
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2007 10:14 AM by cuseroc.)
12-12-2007 10:11 AM
ccbfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
cuseroc Wrote:[quote=SF Husky]

UConn's basketball teams have had a loyal following for years, but football stadiums have a lot more seats than basketball arenas. [b]UConn sold about 5,000 tickets to its first bowl game in Detroit in 2004, and interest in UConn football has grown and grown.

Even though WorldTek is still sold out, it does have waiting lists, and they are trying to line up another plane and more hotel rooms. For more information on that visit http://www.uconnbowl.com

So which is correct? I have heard Uconn fans claim that they took 10,000 to the Motor City Bowl in 2004. The article states that they sold 5,000 tickets. This is the first time that I have seen anything written concerning the Uconn fan attendance at that bowl.

But if the tickets sold for the Charlotte Bowl is doubling that of the MCB, thats not too shabby at all. I would say that is 10,000 tickets sold is pretty respectable.

Thats the amount the school sold. There was over 10k people actually there though according to the head of the motor city bowl.

We didn't know we were suppose to buy from the school, beginner's mistake considering it was our first bowl.
12-12-2007 10:17 AM
BugsyCT Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
Latest word as of today is that UConn has sold 10,500 tix of its 12,500 alottment. (doesn't include those buying tickets thru Ticketmaster or other sources, of course) 04-cheers

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/AllStories/M...71212.html
12-12-2007 11:58 AM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

cuseroc Wrote:[quote=SF Husky]

A ton of people brought tickets outside other than from UCONN for the MCB. I suspect many have done the same this year too if they don't know about uconnbowl.com. Well we are closing to sell out UCONN allotment of 12,500. I am sure there are plenty who brought tickets on their own. I would expect 15K to 20K UCONN fans there at least.
12-12-2007 01:03 PM
Advertisement

CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
Good luck guys, take care of Wake Forest!
12-12-2007 04:16 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
The more all of our schools step in selling tickets to bowls the better our bowl deals will be.
So far we know that
Louisville and West Virginia will travel in large numbers.
Loks like UConn and Rutgers can take at least 10,000 to bowl games
So now we need the other four schools to get to a point were we can guarantee 10,000 to any Bowl game in our areas.
USF has been improving, I think well have 5,000 for Sun Bowl which is a good sign for any possible Gator,Meineke or BCS Bowls in our futures
12-12-2007 05:55 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

Just wondering, how many bowl tickets have the Bearcats sold? I know UC fans are down on the opponent but how many sold to date? Any update?
12-12-2007 06:25 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

Edit:

I was wrong, UC is approaching 9,000 to 10,000 tickets! Maybe going to the PapaJohn's Bowl instead of the Tire Bowl is a blessing in disguise. Maybe it woke up the fan base so that they realized we have to sell out bowl games in order to move up the pecking order instead of resting on our laurels! Here is the bowl game ticket sells update:

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/cin...ncheon.asp

Quote:8,300 tickets sold and allocated for the December 22 game vs. Southern Mississippi

73% increase over sales from previous high bowl game – 2000 Motor City Bowl > 4787 sold

Tickets still on sale – 1-877-CATS-TIX or online at http://www.CATSTIX.com

6 student buses have been SOLD > will leave on December 21 from Meyers Alumni Center... student can still buy trips if interested by logging on to http://www.CATSTIX.com and clicking on the BOWL CENTRAL ICON. Trips are only $100 inclusive of game ticket, hotel room, and round trip bus transfers to Birmingham.

More than 21 total buses are headed to Birmingham from Cincinnati – various efforts pushing fan trips.

Memo to the national scene: HERE COME THE BEARCATS!
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2007 05:51 PM by CatsClaw.)
12-13-2007 05:42 PM
WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC
CatsClaw Wrote:
SF Husky Wrote:Just wondering, how many bowl tickets have the Bearcats sold? I know UC fans are down on the opponent but how many sold to date? Any update?

I think UC is closing in on 4,000, but don't quote me on that. It's nothing against C-USA, but we've been there and done that, so playing an old C-USA school in a bowl when we're ranked in the Top 25 isn't appealing to UC fans. That being said, UC is selling bowls at a high clip so that's good. If UC were playing someone like Wake (because of the Mauk connection) or the Sun Bowl then UC is probably selling tickets in the neighborhood of 7,500 to 10,000.

UC is over 8,000 now.

12-13-2007 05:49 PM
Advertisement

CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

WacoBearcat Wrote:
CatsClaw Wrote:
SF Husky Wrote:Just wondering, how many bowl tickets have the Bearcats sold? I know UC fans are down on the opponent but how many sold to date? Any update?

I think UC is closing in on 4,000, but don't quote me on that. It's nothing against C-USA, but we've been there and done that, so playing an old C-USA school in a bowl when we're ranked in the Top 25 isn't appealing to UC fans. That being said, UC is selling bowls at a high clip so that's good. If UC were playing someone like Wake (because of the Mauk connection) or the Sun Bowl then UC is probably selling tickets in the neighborhood of 7,500 to 10,000.

UC is over 8,000 now.

I just gladly corrected myself! 04-cheers02-13-banana I am THOROUGHLY impressed with UC fans! It would have been easy to be kind of down since we would be facing a familiar opponent in a bowl game. Instead, UC is going to storm that place and send a message to bowl officials!
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2007 05:53 PM by CatsClaw.)
12-13-2007 05:52 PM
BugsyCT Offline
1st String

Good work, 'Cats fans! 04-cheers
12-13-2007 06:31 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

Great job UC fans. These small steps are important for the next round of bowl negotiation. Meanwhile, ACC and the B12 are stinking it up with bowl travel. I hope Trangoose is paying attention.

As of right now, I believe UCONN has close to 11K sold via UCONN system. I wonder how many brought through Wake or other methods.
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2007 06:50 PM by SF Husky.)
12-13-2007 06:49 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

SF Husky Wrote:Great job UC fans. These small steps are important for the next round of bowl negotiation. Meanwhile, ACC and the B12 are stinking it up with bowl travel. I hope Trangoose is paying attention.

As of right now, I believe UCONN has close to 11K sold via UCONN system. I wonder how many brought through Wake or other methods.

Exactly. Now we're staking our case to bowls and that is the next step to making helping the Big East stake their claim as an elite conference!
12-13-2007 07:48 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Congrats thats great news for Cincy and the Big East!!!!!
12-13-2007 07:58 PM
Advertisement

BugsyCT Offline
1st String

SF Husky Wrote:Great job UC fans. These small steps are important for the next round of bowl negotiation. Meanwhile, ACC and the B12 are stinking it up with bowl travel. I hope Trangoose is paying attention.

I called the UConn ticket office this morning - the guy said "about 11,000" have been sold. We're close to selling out our allotment.
12-14-2007 11:20 AM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
BugsyCT Wrote:

I called the UConn ticket office this morning - the guy said "about 11,000" have been sold. We're close to selling out our allotment.

Thats very impressive Huskie Fans.04-bow
12-14-2007 12:58 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

We already know that West Virginia and Rutgers will sell strong. South Florida's is solid, we just need to bump theirs up another 1,000 to 1,500. This confererence is looking strong! We needed a Top 5 or 10 team, we got that. We need national title contenders, we got that. We needed multiple Top 25 teams we got that (four of them). Now we need our bowl teams to travel well and we're getting that! Man this feels great! :)
12-14-2007 04:03 PM
BugsyCT Offline
1st String

Latest word from the UConn A.D. (as of 11/17) is that we have sold 11,500 of our 12,500 allotment.

SELL SELL!! 02-13-banana
12-18-2007 07:11 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.