Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

WAC Expansion into California
Bookmark and Share
jediwarrior Offline
1st String

I Root For:
WAC Expansion into California
Anybody notice how those Sac State and UC Davis guys go at it on the other board?

Those dudes are crazy! My daddy is bigger than your daddy! My mom is smarter than your mom. Well, at least with our new stadium...we have a hole dug!

The next thing you know, you have Sac State, UC Davis, and SJSU fighting like siblings. Makes for a good rivalry.

It was a huge mistake for Stanford to lose to UC Davis. Their heads are so big and heavy now...that California "really" could fall into the Pacific.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea to consider inviting UC Davis into the WAC no matter how great they say they are. They're too high risk with such "big" heads and all...

Note to Arnold: If you want to reduce the weight of your State by more than half....move the city of Davis and their big-headed university to Nevada.

Let Slapdad and co. deal with um. ;-)

The capital of California is a perfect location for another WAC school...

...but what's up with all the prima donnas?
06-17-2006 03:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ejmpalle Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Utah State
Re: WAC Expansion into California
jediwarrior Wrote:Anybody notice how those Sac State and UC Davis guys go at it on the other board?

Those dudes are crazy! My daddy is bigger than your daddy! My mom is smarter than your mom. Well, at least with our new stadium...we have a hole dug!

The next thing you know, you have Sac State, UC Davis, and SJSU fighting like siblings. Makes for a good rivalry.

It was a huge mistake for Stanford to lose to UC Davis. Their heads are so big and heavy now...that California "really" could fall into the Pacific.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea to consider inviting UC Davis into the WAC no matter how great they say they are. They're too high risk with such "big" heads and all...

Note to Arnold: If you want to reduce the weight of your State by more than half....move the city of Davis and their big-headed university to Nevada.

I hear you loud and clearly, jedi! lmfao

Can their heads get any larger than the UJEP fans?
06-17-2006 09:59 AM
Anthony Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
prima donnas...
They defineatly go at each other- funny.

Here is the link to the postings!

http://mb26.scout.com/fsanjosestatefrm13...=788.topic
06-17-2006 11:57 AM
jediwarrior Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Yup Anthony. Those guys are definitely entertaining.

...and I think it's fine that they banter why they think they deserve WAC inclusion.

But when they start challenging an incumbent WAC school, I think they're pushing it a little.

Sac State is smart enough to focus on Davis...but Davis is trying to nail two birds with one stone.

What the heck's in their drinking water?
06-17-2006 02:20 PM
WAC_FAN Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Baseball Genius

Quote:It was a huge mistake for Stanford to lose to UC Davis. Their heads are so big and heavy now...that California "really" could fall into the Pacific.

Didn't they sweep Stanford this year? Beat them in football, men's basketball and baseball? Whatever it takes to mobilize their alum and start the process to the move to 1A.

Maybe this rivalry will be one of the ones in the WAC, 10 years from now...
06-17-2006 02:55 PM
Anthony Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
correct....
Our board admin, SJgregg, does a great job administrating and moderating those schools on our board.

Thanks-
06-17-2006 04:43 PM
Advertisement

jediwarrior Offline
1st String

I Root For:

WACFAN- - They swept Stanford in both sports. Their "up-side" is incredible...but the problem is...they know it. ;-)

I think they know that the WAC is looking to plant a WAC flag in the Sac area, and they want to make sure that the flag is flown on their campus.

Anthony - Those guys aren't bad dudes. They're just very passionate.
06-17-2006 06:46 PM
WAC_FAN Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Baseball Genius

Quote:Their "up-side" is incredible...but the problem is...they know it.

We've dealt with crazy BYU fans, then those ex-SWC schools who came in and thought they were going to dominate our conference, and then Fresno had their "We're too good for the WAC, we're holding out for the MWC" phase. I'm sure we can handle a few UC-Davis fans.
06-17-2006 10:27 PM
Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

I Root For: RU, SJU, UConn
Sacramento State & UC Davis
I think it would be great for the WAC to add both Sacramento State and UC Davis in a few years. You know Louisiana Tech will leave eventually. Montana and Montana State will not move up so no need to waste time on that idea.

Sacramento State and UC Davis, in addition to Fresno State and San Jose State, would give the WAC four members in California. Nevada would be pretty close as well. That is half of the league right there for a truly Western WAC.
06-18-2006 03:30 PM
OUBOBCATJOHN Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ohio Bobcats

WAC needs to add both and do it soon. They can't sit back and having MWC take 3 teams and then wonder what hit them. Football needs more D-A western teams. Davis looks like a serious program. Sweeping Stanford is something that many teams haven't done.
06-18-2006 10:37 PM
WAC_FAN Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Baseball Genius

Quote:WAC needs to add both and do it soon. They can't sit back and having MWC take 3 teams and then wonder what hit them.

They're not ready. They don't have the stadium and they don't meet the scholarship and sports requirements to play 1A right now. It's not that we don't want them, it's because we can't. They're both at least 5 years away.

Right now the MWC has no reason to expand. Expansion won't get them into the BCS, nor will it get them a bigger TV contract.
06-18-2006 10:57 PM
Advertisement

SJGregg Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

If their banter has produced anything, it's that their rivalry would be a nice addition to the WAC when they're ready. I had no idea how much they dispised each other.

I'm also amazed at how arrogant the Davis posters are. One of them went so far as to request to play Harvard and Yale in football as if they're an Ivy League school. That was the topper for me.

04-chairshot
06-19-2006 01:58 PM
ejmpalle Offline
Special Teams

Re
WAC_FAN Wrote:
Quote:WAC needs to add both and do it soon. They can't sit back and having MWC take 3 teams and then wonder what hit them.

They're not ready. They don't have the stadium and they don't meet the scholarship and sports requirements to play 1A right now. It's not that we don't want them, it's because we can't. They're both at least 5 years away.

Right now the MWC has no reason to expand. Expansion won't get them into the BCS, nor will it get them a bigger TV contract.

I'd have to agree with that. I think it's more likely that the MWC expands in the eastern direction rather than towards the West. I think adding TCU was a smart move for the MWC, because TCU seems to fit in perfectly. I think UTEP is one of the most likely candidates, at this point, but CUSA is looking to have more potential than the MWC where they have ties to both ESPN and CSTV, unlike the MWC. So adding UTEP, Rice, SMU, Houston or Tulsa seems to be wishfull thinking for them. But I'm sure the MWC would love a travel partner for TCU. Boise St and Fresno St don't fit the travel-partner-for-TCU bill. Maybe the MWC will groom Texas State from D1AA and get them ready to join? I wouldn't put it past them! Wouldn't it be interesting if 5-10 years down the road that the WAC takes a D1AA California school and the MWC takes Texas State???!? If I'm SDSU, I'd be wondering if the MWC is really as good of a fit as I thought when the MWC was formed, given their push to the east.
06-19-2006 02:12 PM
StanfordAggie Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
jediwarrior Wrote:It was a huge mistake for Stanford to lose to UC Davis. Their heads are so big and heavy now...that California "really" could fall into the Pacific.

This is exactly why I want Davis in the WAC. Davis is a "growth school" in the UC system, and the state is pumping tons of money to their university. Their stated goal is to become the next UC-Berkeley or UCLA. Athletically as well as academically. Indeed, I've seen it written in a few places that Davis' eventually goal is try to get into the PAC-10. While that might be wishful thinking, I would love to have a school in the conference that's thinking big and isn't going to be content with mediocrity. I would not be at all surprised to see UC-Davis as the dominant school in the WAC in 10-15 years and a serious candidate for PAC-10 membership. No other WAC school has anywhere near the financial support from the state that UC-Davis is getting, and they have a huge, passionate alumni base. In short, all the ingredients are there for a very successful athletic program.
06-19-2006 03:41 PM
jediwarrior Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Stanford - From what I've read in the past few days about Davis, I agree that they'd be a fun school to have in the WAC.

They just need to work on their attendance.

I noticed on the other board that Sac2010 mentioned that Sac State has averaged 11K fans for 3 years running even though their team has been weak.

This is a pretty good indicator that if they are invited to the WAC, their fan base could double. And if they started winning at the D-1a level in the WAC, who knows how high their attendance could grow.

I'm hoping both schools meet WAC requirements when the time comes.
06-19-2006 05:39 PM
StanfordAggie Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

jediwarrior Wrote:Stanford - From what I've read in the past few days about Davis, I agree that they'd be a fun school to have in the WAC.

They just need to work on their attendance.

I noticed on the other board that Sac2010 mentioned that Sac State has averaged 11K fans for 3 years running even though their team has been weak.

This is a pretty good indicator that if they are invited to the WAC, their fan base could double. And if they started winning at the D-1a level in the WAC, who knows how high their attendance could grow.

I'm hoping both schools meet WAC requirements when the time comes.

I'm not that worried about Davis' attendance. (Although I have to admit that their comparitively low attendance in basketball is somewhat troubling. IIRC, the capacity of their arena is much greater than the attendance.) Davis is a town of 60,000 that's pretty much in the middle of nowhere. (That's not entirely true; it's actually only about 20 minutes from Sacramento. But it sure feels like it's in the middle of nowhere.) It has a huge student population, most of whom live on or near campus, and there's absolutely nothing to do on a Saturday night. My guess is that if they had a winning football team they could easily sell out every game.

I hate to knock Sacramento State, given that I don't know very much about them. But funding the CSU schools is not a high priority for the California state legislature, so they almost certainly won't get anywhere near the state support that Davis has. And although Sacramento isn't exactly the most happening metropolis in the country, Sac. State athletics certainly wouldn't be the only show in town. (Honestly, I don't know what you would do in Davis on a Saturday night other than go to a football game or watch the alfalfa grow.) If Sac. State can consistently win games and attract fans, I would be all for the idea of inviting them to the WAC. But the WAC doesn't need another SJSU (no offense to any SJSU fans).
06-19-2006 07:24 PM
Advertisement

wolfin1 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Nevada
Whatever school the WAC brings in....
will have to be on par academically with the rest (mostly) of the conference...that said...Sac St will not get an invite. UC-Davis and the Montana Schools are the most likely candidates at this time.
06-19-2006 08:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DxfanMiner Offline
Miner Maniak

I Root For: UTEP/SHSU
ejmpalle Wrote:
jediwarrior Wrote:Anybody notice how those Sac State and UC Davis guys go at it on the other board?

YEah whatever your a lap dog to UTAH UTES, plus your crappy basketball team lost to the aggies twice. lmfao lmfao lmfao
06-19-2006 09:45 PM
erdaaggie Offline
2nd String

I Root For: USU
DxfanMiner Wrote:
ejmpalle Wrote:

YEah whatever your a lap dog to UTAH UTES, plus your crappy basketball team lost to the aggies twice. lmfao lmfao lmfao

Funny my "crappy" basketball team was in the tournament while the Utes were not. Come to think of it did UTEP make it last year? Yes NMSU did sweep us, but I'd still take our season over anyone else's in the conference besides Nevada.
06-19-2006 11:23 PM
ejmpalle Offline
Special Teams

DxfanMiner Wrote:YEah whatever your a lap dog to UTAH UTES, plus your crappy basketball team lost to the aggies twice. lmfao lmfao lmfao

Utah hasn't beaten Utah St in basketball in Logan in 10 years. Utah St is the only one of the two to win a road game in the rivalry in those 10 years. Last I checked, Utah St was dancing while UTEP was sitting at home enjoying the popcorn and tv. All though UTEP's team went bowling and Utah St did not, Utah St didn't lose to a MAC team in a bowl game. I'm not sure that I wouldn't rather stay home than lose to a MAC team in a bowl game. :shhh:

All I'm saying is that UTEP fans are notorious for spouting off their mouths over a couple of programs that haven't done much in a long time.
06-20-2006 09:44 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.