Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Why did the BE refs try to screw Pitt so bad?
Eagle in the gym Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
Why did the BE refs try to screw Pitt so bad?
Both hold calls AND the no-call on the pass interference were worthy of C-USA officials (they are plenty bad). What was up with all the calls for WVU? Yikes.
12-02-2007 10:03 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
RE: Why did the BE refs try to screw Pitt so bad?
Eagle in the gym Wrote:Both hold calls AND the no-call on the pass interference were worthy of C-USA officials (they are plenty bad). What was up with all the calls for WVU? Yikes.

BIG EAST officials are actually worse then C-USA officials.
12-02-2007 10:08 PM
KatPC99 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Providence/SU
Obviously they didn't want to deal with the mess that is the BCS. So they tried to put the fix on it. Too bad WVU sucked so bad even the refs couldn't help.
12-02-2007 10:26 PM
wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: West Virginia
I don't think the refs were trying to screw Pitt, or help WVU. They just suck. There's no need for a conspiracy theory.
12-02-2007 10:28 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
Thought I was the only one. I saw some pretty f'ed up calls and some things that should have been called let slide.
12-03-2007 09:39 AM
LaRue777 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WVU,ECU,MI
Could it be that maybe the refs just made a few mistakes? Home teams tend to get some cooking and when announcers focus on a few calls they can influence how the game is viewed.

Switch or two of the calls in Pitt's favor and nobody says a thing. I'm sure it must feel nice to take a few potshots at the conference though. If you could prove these grassy knoll conspiracy theories it would make the conference look bad.
12-03-2007 10:42 AM
Advertisement

Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
The calls wouldn't have been so bad if they weren't all thrown after the TD was scored or the first down was had. If they had thrown them during the play instead of after, I don't think you'd get this scrutiny. But they were all thrown after the play was decided and Pitt had either scored or made the first down.
12-03-2007 11:00 AM
bearcat65 Offline
All American

I Root For:
The timing of the calls coupled with what was at stake makes it look very bad. Both of the holding calls and the defensive holding that wasn't called were on potential game changing plays. Doesn't look good for the conference because it definitely looked like the officials were trying to influence the outcome.
12-03-2007 11:01 AM
Bearcat T Offline
All American

I Root For:
Big East refs are bad they screwed UC at Pitt this year for sure.
12-03-2007 11:04 AM
Capital Pirate Offline
All American

I Root For: East Carolina

Crappies
From a (somewhat) non-biased observer, I thought the officiating simply sucked overall.....both teams got gifts, and both teams got screwed, IMO......I'm thinking that the BE and CUSA draw from the same officiating pool, because the horrible calls looked VERY familiar in "horribleness".....03-puke
12-03-2007 11:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
LaRue777 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WVU,ECU,MI
I am not ready to accept any type deliberate effort on the part of the officials to influence the game. To admit that the conference tried to influence the result would rightfully take the BE out of national consideration as a top notch conference. If proven I bet the conference would get some type of death penalty. I certainly would not be able to follow the sport with the same interest to know that these kind of fixes were possible.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2007 11:20 AM by LaRue777.)
12-03-2007 11:17 AM
Advertisement

Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
Shannon Panther Wrote:The calls wouldn't have been so bad if they weren't all thrown after the TD was scored or the first down was had. If they had thrown them during the play instead of after, I don't think you'd get this scrutiny. But they were all thrown after the play was decided and Pitt had either scored or made the first down.

Shannon you hit the nail on the head. Both of Turner's "holds" came at critical junctures, and thus, stuck in everyone's minds. BE's refs are just consistently horrible.

On a side note, why can't Pitt CONSISTENTLY play that well?
12-03-2007 11:33 AM
zibby Offline
All American

I Root For:
Even worse is the call wasn't made by the official closest to the play. Both times the call was made the linesman down the field, who normally sets up 30 yards from the line of scrimmage.
12-03-2007 11:39 AM
bearcat65 Offline
All American

I Root For:
LaRue777 Wrote:I am not ready to accept any type deliberate effort on the part of the officials to influence the game. To admit that the conference tried to influence the result would rightfully take the BE out of national consideration as a top notch conference. If proven I bet the conference would get some type of death penalty. I certainly would not be able to follow the sport with the same interest to know that these kind of fixes were possible.

Whether it's admitted or not many are questioning the officiating in the game and rightfully so. There are blown or questionable calls in every game but this was blatant in my opinion due to the timing and the delay in throwing the flag.
12-03-2007 11:40 AM
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
BJUnklFkr Wrote:
Shannon Panther Wrote:The calls wouldn't have been so bad if they weren't all thrown after the TD was scored or the first down was had. If they had thrown them during the play instead of after, I don't think you'd get this scrutiny. But they were all thrown after the play was decided and Pitt had either scored or made the first down.

Shannon you hit the nail on the head. Both of Turner's "holds" came at critical junctures, and thus, stuck in everyone's minds. BE's refs are just consistently horrible.

On a side note, why can't Pitt CONSISTENTLY play that well?

Our D has played well this year. Our Offense has true freshmen at the QB and RB position and both have hurt us this year. McCoy has been great but he has fumbled at critical junctions of 2 games and Bostick is a turnover machine when he puts the ball up over the middle. USF had 3 and so would WVU have if it weren't for Strong's terrific grab in the 4th quarter. If our backup QB who would have been a RS sr hadn't transferred to UDel, we probably are looking at 8-4 or 9-3 this season. Next year we should have our D back and the offense should be better with Stull back and Bostick with a year's experience. This year was rife with growing pains on offense, much like Cincy experienced 2 seasons ago with all the youth they had.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2007 10:19 AM by Shannon Panther.)
12-04-2007 09:55 AM
Goldballs Offline
Banned

I Root For: SOUTHERN MISS
It was obvious the Big East wanted West Virginia in the BCS Title game...The refs knew it...and knew who paid them...only, Pitt would have nothing of ot...Congratulations Pitt!....[/i]
12-04-2007 10:41 AM
Advertisement

Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
Shannon Panther Wrote:Our D has played well this year. Our Offense has true freshmen at the QB and RB position and both have hurt us this year. McCoy has been great but he has fumbled at critical junctions of 2 games and Bostick is a turnover machine when he puts the ball up over the middle. USF had 3 and so would WVU have if it weren't for Strong's terrific grab in the 4th quarter. If our backup QB who would have been a RS sr hadn't transferred to UDel, we probably are looking at 8-4 or 9-3 this season. Next year we should have our D back and the offense should be better with Stull back and Bostick with a year's experience. This year was rife with growing pains on offense, much like Cincy experienced 2 seasons ago with all the youth they had.

Yes... looks like Pitt has most everyone back (including Kinder who sat out?).
USF, UC, UConn, and WVU return most of their main contributors, I'd imagine.
RU loses mainly Rice?
UL needs to rebuild, but I imagine they still have a lot of weapons.
Even SU is now showing signs of putting an offense on the field.

Looks like the BE will be a minefield once again.
12-04-2007 10:57 AM
SoCalPanther Offline
All American

I Root For: Pitt RPI
BJUnklFkr Wrote:
Shannon Panther Wrote:Our D has played well this year. Our Offense has true freshmen at the QB and RB position and both have hurt us this year. McCoy has been great but he has fumbled at critical junctions of 2 games and Bostick is a turnover machine when he puts the ball up over the middle. USF had 3 and so would WVU have if it weren't for Strong's terrific grab in the 4th quarter. If our backup QB who would have been a RS sr hadn't transferred to UDel, we probably are looking at 8-4 or 9-3 this season. Next year we should have our D back and the offense should be better with Stull back and Bostick with a year's experience. This year was rife with growing pains on offense, much like Cincy experienced 2 seasons ago with all the youth they had.

Yes... looks like Pitt has most everyone back (including Kinder who sat out?).

Pitt loses 4 starters on O (the two OTs, C, and TE) and 4 on D (2 DEs, CB, S). Pitt only had 10 seniors I believe. They had 33 Fr or So on the two deep for WVu IIRC. Kinder blew out his knee in camp and took a redshirt. I hope he's back to 100%.

The two players they will miss the most, IMO, are Clermond (DE) and Otah (OT). As Shannon has alluded to in many posts, Pitt lost many starting players to injuries this year.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2007 11:41 AM by SoCalPanther.)
12-04-2007 11:40 AM
TSopranoRU Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rutgers
Just like the ridiculous non-call of a Slaton fumble that was returned for a touchdown in WVU's final home game last year, the Mountaineers again got the benefit of ridiculous officiating in this game. However, this was 100 times worse than the Rutgers game last year and embarrassed the conference since almost every non-WVU fan watching had to be thinking about a possible conspiracy as well.

The three holding calls (two clearly false calls on Pitt and one non-call on WVU) were beyond insane. Had the officials not been RIGHT THERE watching you could make a case that the calls were simply missed, but they saw it and clearly were looking for anything possible to benefit West Virginia. To make matters worse, even when it finally became clear that WVU was likely going down, they called a ridiculous "excessive celebration" penalty against a Pitt player who committed the high crime of jumping up and down once his team got closer to one of the greatest upsets to affect a national title race in history.

I'm not sure if there was an outright conspiracy or if it's another case of officials being intimidated by the hostile atmosphere in Morgantown. But what is clear is that this needs to be investigated. Sadly, it won't be.

Thank God Pitt at least won the game and kept an undeserving team out of the national title game. You hear that, WVU fans? 05-stirthepot
12-04-2007 02:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
frogman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse
TSopranoRU Wrote:Thank God Pitt at least won the game and kept an undeserving team out of the national title game. You hear that, WVU fans? 05-stirthepot

Unfortunately, we still have one underseving team in the national title game. Okl should be playing LSU for the title.

We all agree if you can't bring it every game, you have no place in the title game. THe BE was inthe title hunt last year. We were in the title hunt this year. Guess where we'll be next year?

P.S. IF WVU can beat Okl - in my book- they would be redeemed.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2007 02:32 PM by frogman.)
12-04-2007 02:29 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.