Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
I know people hate to hear this, but Dave Wannstedt coached his *ss off last night!
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
I know people hate to hear this, but Dave Wannstedt coached his *ss off last night!
I'm really getting this weird feeling that that guy is going to make Pitt into a power REALLY soon. I mean REALLY soon. I know we like to get on him for not being able to coach, and Pitt had some bad losses (like the Virginia and Connecticut games), but when it comes to a really big game that guy seems to have some bizarre mojo. Beat #23 Cincinnati, beat #2 West Virginia on the road, almost beat Michigan State on the road. Once he gets a few more players in there I think he'll win. He might not win a championship, reminds me to much of Frank Beamer in that regard, but he also reminds me of Beamer in the respect that he will have so much talent that Pitt will be a Top 25 power. West Virginia spit the bit last night, but that guy had one hell of a defensive scheme.
12-02-2007 06:42 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC
RE: I know people hate to hear this, but Dave Wannstedt coached his *ss off last night!
CatsClaw Wrote:I'm really getting this weird feeling that that guy is going to make Pitt into a power REALLY soon. I mean REALLY soon. I know we like to get on him for not being able to coach, and Pitt had some bad losses (like the Virginia and Connecticut games), but when it comes to a really big game that guy seems to have some bizarre mojo. Beat #23 Cincinnati, beat #2 West Virginia on the road, almost beat Michigan State on the road. Once he gets a few more players in there I think he'll win. He might not win a championship, reminds me to much of Frank Beamer in that regard, but he also reminds me of Beamer in the respect that he will have so much talent that Pitt will be a Top 25 power. West Virginia spit the bit last night, but that guy had one hell of a defensive scheme.

Claw, WEST VIRGINIA CHOKED.
12-02-2007 06:49 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: I know people hate to hear this, but Dave Wannstedt coached his *ss off last night!
West Virginia blew that game but it's ridiculous to just throw it away as a choke job.   Some of the defensive schemes that Pitt used as were very strong.  Blitzing at the right time, covering the corners, very strong.  And Pitt DOMINATED West Virginia's offensive line, even when Pat White was in there.  Every play they were in the back field all over White and Slaton.  Pitt also has an amazing amount of speed and utilized it very well.  I mean it's ridiculous to just throw the game away as a choke.  In order to choke the other guy has to be able to execute. Look, Wannstedt isn't the world's greatest coach, but he is a decent coach and a great recruiter. This isn't the last we've heard from him.
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2007 06:57 PM by CatsClaw.)
12-02-2007 06:56 PM
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
RE: I know people hate to hear this, but Dave Wannstedt coached his *ss off last nigh
WacoBearcat Wrote:Claw, WEST VIRGINIA CHOKED.

No, Pitt outplayed them. Our DL schooled their OL unlike the last 2 years. Just like we outplayed Cincy this year. We played a lot of first year players this year and they grew up last night. WVU humiliated us in 05 & 06 and payback is a female dog. Wanny is an alum as is RichRod. They both played the game and understand what the Brawl is all about.

Wanny has done an outstanding job keeping the playing hard all season long when injuries have decimated our offense. We played hard against everyone we played all season long. Quitting in the face of adversity like last minute losses to Mich St, UL, and Rutgers would have been easy to understand, but to the coaches credit they played hard and finally the effort paid off in spades.
12-02-2007 07:05 PM
Advertisement

LaRue777 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WVU,ECU,MI
RE: I know people hate to hear this, but Dave Wannstedt coached his *ss off last nigh
Blocking schemes are something that take a lot of concentration and teamwork. Pitt threw a big wrinkle in there with their game plan and if you compare the blocking between the Pitt game and the UConn game the WVU O line never got anything going. Against Uconn the offensive line was awesome.

Did Pitt's D underachieve in a few games this year? They played well against two of the best teams on their schedule but poorly in others. How do they get pounded by Navy but beat Cinci and hold WVU to 7? Or was the problem they let a few games go because of the struggles of their offense?
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2007 07:47 PM by LaRue777.)
12-02-2007 07:06 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
CatsClaw Wrote:West Virginia blew that game but it's ridiculous to just throw it away as a choke job.   Some of the defensive schemes that Pitt used as were very strong.  Blitzing at the right time, covering the corners, very strong.  And Pitt DOMINATED West Virginia's offensive line, even when Pat White was in there.  Every play they were in the back field all over White and Slaton.  Pitt also has an amazing amount of speed and utilized it very well.  I mean it's ridiculous to just throw the game away as a choke.  In order to choke the other guy has to be able to execute. Look, Wannstedt isn't the world's greatest coach, but he is a decent coach and a great recruiter. This isn't the last we've heard from him.

Pitts offense is not so great right now, but their defense is ranked either top 10 or top 15, I cant remember which. This team seemed to improve in almost every game. Their last 6 or 7 games could have gone either way as they were very close. They will have a say in the BE picture next year.
12-02-2007 07:09 PM
Airport KC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mid American
Wannstedt was celebrating his contract extension by beating WVU.

05-stirthepot
12-02-2007 07:43 PM
Advertisement

LaRue777 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WVU,ECU,MI
Looks like Pitt ended up #7 and WVU #4 in total yards allowed per game.
12-02-2007 07:47 PM
CardHouse Offline
1st String

I Root For: UofL
Wanny did do some great coaching on the sideline; he was into it (like UofL fans saw with Petrino but not with Krag 03-melodramatic)

I also agree the contract extension gave him some new juice for that game.
12-02-2007 08:39 PM
wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: West Virginia
Wanny deserves alot of credit for this game. No question Pitt outplayed WVU.

But regardless, it WAS a choke by WVU.
12-02-2007 09:05 PM
Advertisement

CardHouse Offline
1st String

I Root For: UofL
wvucrazed Wrote:Wanny deserves alot of credit for this game. No question Pitt outplayed WVU.

But regardless, it WAS a choke by WVU.

BOTH of these statements are correct.
12-02-2007 09:21 PM
el-toro Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: USF
Two words . . . Rod Smith!

And I'll just leave it at that.
12-02-2007 10:19 PM
Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

I Root For: RU, SJU, UConn
People always seem to forget that Dave Wannstedt was always known as an incredible defensive mind under Jimmy Johnson many years ago. I do not think all that schematic knowledge simply disappeared over the last decade. Pitt has played great defense at times this season, and not so much at other points, but anyone looking closely can tell that he is assembling too much talent there to not start winning some big games eventually. Unfortunately for West Virginia and the Big East, however, eventually started on Saturday rather than next year. The Panthers will be a major factor in this conference in 2008.
12-03-2007 12:40 PM
Stookey57 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UConn, BC
Krocker Krapp Wrote:People always seem to forget that Dave Wannstedt was always known as an incredible defensive mind under Jimmy Johnson many years ago. I do not think all that schematic knowledge simply disappeared over the last decade. Pitt has played great defense at times this season, and not so much at other points, but anyone looking closely can tell that he is assembling too much talent there to not start winning some big games eventually. Unfortunately for West Virginia and the Big East, however, eventually started on Saturday rather than next year. The Panthers will be a major factor in this conference in 2008.

I agree they should be very good next year.
12-04-2007 10:08 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.