Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Pitt 'rehires' steve pederson
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
Pitt 'rehires' steve pederson
and extends wannstedt. Open up your pocketbooks pitt fans.
11-30-2007 04:42 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
RE: Pitt 'rehires' steve pederson
TIGER-PAUL Wrote:and extends wannstedt. Open up your pocketbooks pitt fans.

Wanny earned his extension tonight. 02-13-banana 02-13-banana 05-stirthepot
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2007 12:25 AM by panite.)
12-02-2007 12:24 AM
Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

I Root For: RU, SJU, UConn
RE: Pitt 'rehires' steve pederson
Pitt brings back Steve Pederson as athletic director
By RAMESH SANTANAM, Associated Press Writer
November 30, 2007

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- The University of Pittsburgh brought back Steve Pederson as athletic director Friday, after an embarrassing decline of the Nebraska football program led to his dismissal from his alma mater.

"We are thrilled to be back in Pittsburgh," Pederson said at a news conference. "Leaving here five years ago was the hardest professional decision we had ever made. Coming back was the easiest decision we had ever made."

Pederson was Pitt's athletic director from 1996 to 2002 before leaving to take the same position at Nebraska. He was fired Oct. 15 under intense pressure from fans and boosters.

Pederson, who helped rebuild Pitt's basketball and football programs in his first stint at the school, replaces Jeff Long, who left Pitt in September for the University of Arkansas.

Pitt Chancellor Mark Nordenberg called Pederson "a really great leader."

"I know were are going to benefit greatly from his future involvement," Nordenberg said.

Nebraska Chancellor Harvey Perlman said Pederson rubbed some people the wrong way during his time in Lincoln. Nebraska spent at least $2.2 million to buy out his contract two days after a 45-14 loss to Oklahoma State and only months after signing a five-year extension.

"I think managerial style depends on how many games your teams win," Pederson said when asked about his reputation. "I'm a demanding boss in a lot of ways, but not more than I would demand of myself. That doesn't mean everybody's going to like it."

Pederson's most infamous decision at Nebraska was firing Frank Solich, the longtime assistant who replaced legendary coach Tom Osborne. Pederson vowed that the football program would not slip into mediocrity, and hired former Oakland Raiders coach Bill Callahan.

Callahan was fired last week after a 5-7 season that included a stunning 76-39 loss to Kansas, one of six games in which the famed Nebraska defense surrendered 40 or more points.

Pederson on Friday pointed to some of his successes at Nebraska: The women's volleyball team won a national championship and the football team won the Big 12 North last year.

"Certainly, we would have liked to have more success on the football field," Pederson said.

Although Pederson "was an outstanding athletic director" at Pitt, Nordenberg said the school made efforts to determine what went wrong at Nebraska.

"I did make calls to people in Nebraska and the Big 12 Conference who had a more informed perspective than I would have," Nordenberg said. "The consistent response was that Steve continues to be respected as one of the best athletic directors in the country."

Pederson shook up the Pitt establishment his first time in town. He tried to force outsiders to refer to the school as "Pittsburgh" instead of Pitt, an idea that has since been dropped, and razed Pitt Stadium, building the Petersen Events Center for basketball in its place.

He hired Walt Harris, who has since left, to rebuild the football program. Pederson also hired Ben Howland, who built the men's basketball team into a national power.

Howland has since left for UCLA, but the basketball team remains a Top 25 program under former assistant Jamie Dixon.

"This is a different place than it was in 1996," Pederson said. "The university has skyrocketed. It's spectacular. ... I believe there are no limits as to what can be done at the University of Pittsburgh."

This article appeared on the Yahoo Sports website on Friday, November 30, 2007.
12-04-2007 04:45 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.