Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Georgia Southern going I-A?
Bookmark and Share
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
Georgia Southern going I-A?
GSU is forming an exploratory committee to see if going I-A is feasible. If I were them, I wouldnt go unless Conference USA agreed to take them. There is no point in going to the Sun Belt....where football programs die.
11-29-2007 10:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I Root For: Justice
RE: Georgia Southern going I-A?
What football program has DIED in the Sun Belt?

It may be the weakest of the Division I-A conferences, but I don't know if the teams there are dying.
11-29-2007 10:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
What program has played themselves out of the Sun Belt into a higher conference? There is just no hope of moving up from that point. I would rather compete for I-AA titles, than compete for a spot in the Toyo Tire.net Bowl or whatever.
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2007 10:33 PM by ETSUfan1.)
11-29-2007 10:30 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

That's a little harsh, since the conference has only had football play for six years.

But, I will say that three teams, Utah State, New Mexico State, and Idaho, have gone on to join the WAC.

You might make the arguement UAB moved to Conference USA from there, though not after the conference became a football conference.

And lots of schools have moved up there from Division I-AA.

The Sun Belt is much like the Atlantic Sun is for basketball- it is where a young Division I-A program goes to sprout wings.

And I'd like ETSU to someday be a Division I-A program sprouting wings.

I don't think the A-Sun is that bad of a conference for a program that is trying to do that. I've often said it's great for Stetson, USC-Upstate, North Florida, Gulf Coast, etc.

And it might be good for Belmont, Lipscolm, etc.

But what I know is it is NOT good for ETSU.

In fact, I have often thought of the Sun Belt as a "best case scenario for a medium range plan" for ETSU athletics. It would allow ETSU to be in a conference with a lot of public schools that are thinking forward, that are Division I-A, that are competitive with enrollment (ETSU would be one of the smaller schools but not THE smallest) and are MAJOR.

It's years away from happening but I'd like to see it happen. It's a long range goal.
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2007 10:13 AM by PittsburghBucs.)
11-29-2007 11:17 PM
kevster Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Bucs!!! Back
Finally, someone with some vision!
11-30-2007 09:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
ETSU has never been forward thinkers. If I'm Ga. Southern, I get my program and attendance back up after that glorious disaster known as the Van Gorder era there. Once they're back up, then consider it, but if you're Ga. Southern or App State for that matter, why waste away in the Skunk Belt for a shot at the New Orleans Bowl. Wait and see what happens with possible Big Ten expansion, and see where the chips start falling. C-USA or the MAC would be alot better or a place, even if it's just in name recognition.
12-03-2007 09:47 PM
Advertisement

PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

If a larger conference were to expand, it's only logical to think they'd look for teams in 1-A before they'd look to 1-AA.

Duh!
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2007 10:34 PM by PittsburghBucs.)
12-03-2007 10:33 PM
etsualumni00 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
I think Pitt's right. While you could try for a big jump to C-USA or whatever, you may have to "settle" for the sunbelt. I still think it's a step up for any championship I-AA team because it gives you the opportunity to do a lot of bigger things:

1. Play BCS teams more often
2. Play a BCS team at home
3. Play in a bowl game and even a BCS bowl (see Boise State) if the stars aligned just right.
4. Build more name recognition for your school.
5. Improve lots of other things at your school that come with an athletic program that has more overall support.

These are just a few of the reasons ETSU needs football in order to possibly get in that mix.
12-04-2007 11:23 AM
Goldfinger
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
Personally I don't see the need for a future ETSU football program to jump up into 1-A. I think 1-AA is a perfect fit for them if they become competative. I'm not sure Georgia Southern will do well to realign as a 1-A team. But we'll see.
12-04-2007 11:28 AM
Quote this message in a reply
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I like Division I-AA, but when Appalachian State beat Michigan, it was "the biggest upset in history."

When Louisiana-Monroe beat Alabama it may have been a major upset, but it wasn't quite the shock.

And the reason why is because Louisiana-Monroe is a more respected program because they are Division I-A.

I'm a fan of Division I-AA, but quick- tell me the four teams right now in the playoffs. They were in the paper today.

I submit to you many more fans nationwide will be able to tell you that Navy and Utah will be meeting in the Poinsettia Bowl. And I'm guessing the $750,000 payout that bowl gives- which is an eighth of ETSU's entire yearly athletic budget- would also be of benefit- moreso than even a Division I-AA national championship.

The main point that I have is I don't like the path ETSU athletics is on, which is beat up on the little kids and act like that's something. Nobody around here is paying any attention to it. I honestly can't remember when ETSU has received less media attention- and there is now more media than there ever was before!

Personally, yes, I think the way to get ETSU on the map is to openly speak of a plan in which the Bucs want to be a major player in the world of college athletics.

They'll tell you they already are. Remember those horrible PR radio spots saying ETSU is a "world reknowned athletic department?"

Again, they take us for fools and anyone going to Memorial Center to support it is a fool.

We know different.

My idea is to try and get into a major conference.

And I'm not alone. We've had tons of posters here wanting to see ETSU make a try for the CAA or Atlantic 10.

Clearly ETSU isn't going to get into the SEC tomorrow. They aren't getting into C-USA or the Sun Belt tomorrow, either.

But if ETSU made public statements about trying to get to that level, which could, in time, be feasible, then you'd see a buzz about ETSU athletics and the money they wish to raise for the new facilities would actually come in instead of the new facilities just being talking points as they are now.

The final note is there is a very strong arguement that can be made the Sun Belt would be a better home for ETSU than either the So Con or A-Sun not because of the level that they play, but the company they keep.

The enrollment, percentage of public schools, and the age of the member institutions of the three conferences makes the Sun Belt a much better match for a public school with an enrollment of 13,000 that started in 1911.

There's also a good chance with the number of teams- and the make up of teams in the conference- that the Sun Belt would take on new members in the years ahead.
12-04-2007 01:49 PM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

MTSU mortaged the farm for Louisville, Uva and Maryland to come to the boro and Nashville, as did Troy for OK. State.
I didn't say for Ga. Southern to jump to the Big Ten, but the Sun Belt is terrible, you're automatically grouped with those directional Louisiana teams, as well as North Texas, which are all looked upon as a joke.
Ask Alabama fans how shocking the ULM loss was.
The SBC schools play the BCS teams to pay their coaches salaries, and hell may actually freeze over before a Sun Belt team gets into the BCS. Boise and Hawaii are in the WAC, which does have some name recognition, though not alot. The Sun Belt is considered the A-Sun of college football.
If I had the choice between the Sun Belt or I-AA football, I'd stick with I-AA.
12-04-2007 11:33 PM
Advertisement

PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

That's a very Rollins College view of things. If USC-Upstate, Gulf Coast, and North Florida had those philosophies, none of them would be Division I now.

The fact is I and everyone else would rather see ETSU morgage the farm for Oklahoma State to come to Johnson City than be known as East Tennisee State.
12-05-2007 07:24 AM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

Then build a facility that's worth playing in and worth having a big name come into. The dome isn't, plain and simple, it wasn't for football, it's not for basketball, it's a great place to practice and have an indoor track team. If Upstate, Gulf Coast and/or North Florida had football with what they already have, they wouldn't have came to the A-Sun. They're in the same boat we're in, the A-Sun was all that would take them based on not having a program.
12-05-2007 03:37 PM
Goldfinger
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
IF they ever do get around to building a basketball gym it better be in vein of Chattanooga and not what Appalachian State did. It better be unique and a place that screams GLORY!
12-05-2007 04:57 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Andy- I agree with everything you say.

And why you come to the conclusion that East Tennisee State administration should be defended for these moves and I'm a bad guy is beyond all of us.

Gold- What I think ETSU should do, but they incredibly are not smart enough, is go into a partnership with the local government.

This area's arenas are obsolete. The area needs a new arena not just for ETSU hoops, but for local concerts and events and minor league sports.

It's not just about Memorial Center, but Freedom Hall as well.

So, why Stanton and Mullins wouldn't use some of their political pull to get public money for this arena is beyond me. They'd be able to shut up the football people with an indoor team.

But I guess when you're too focused on building up the tennis and golf teams, the obvious escapes you.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2007 08:09 AM by PittsburghBucs.)
12-06-2007 08:03 AM
Goldfinger
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
I fear that if the dome is ever replaced it will be replaced with something very uninspiring. That is one reason I don't want a new arena.
12-06-2007 11:22 AM
Advertisement

PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Most arenas are uninspiring.

Baseball parks and golf courses are inspiring. Maybe even race tracks.

Football stadiums and arenas are pretty much all the same.
12-06-2007 01:42 PM
Goldfinger
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
I like the roundhouse..I liked ASU's old gym. I like the Charelston arena where the Southern Conference tournament was held. I like the Asheville Civic Center (if one were to make an enlarged version of it)

What I do not like is Appalachian State's new place, which is a slightly larger version than Western Carolina's half-assed Ramsey Center. It goes without saying that I've never been to an A-sun gym that I've been impressed with.

If ETSU were to build a place that would look unique, have at least two distinct levels, and yet feel claustrophobic (in a roundhouse sort of way) that would create a snake pit like atmosphere..then I'm all for a new arena. Anything short of that...keep the dome.
12-06-2007 02:11 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I don't disagree.

My thing is that I don't think a new arena is going to be built until after Mullins and Stanton leave. There is just no way Joe Johnson City is going to give him the money to build a new arena.
12-06-2007 03:24 PM
Goldfinger
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
I agree with you there....Also notice the priority level...A new basketball arena is secondary to every other sport facility at ETSU. And as you've pointed out many times, the soccer stadium is insanely over schedule.

Let's say Stanton steps down after this year or the next (which I hear from a very good source he will) Who is in line to replace him? Because we need someone who will come in and with a strong desire to restore our honor.
12-06-2007 03:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.