Open TigerLinks

Jimmy V. Speech 1993 ESPY's...
Bookmark and Share
Derby Offline
tigris rex

I Root For: Memphis

DonatorsSkunkworksCrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
Jimmy V. Speech 1993 ESPY's...
OK, I've just watch this video again for the umpteenth time and it never fails to inspire.

What courage, what strength, what passion.

1-800-4JIMMYV or http://www.jimmyv.org
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2007 07:15 PM by Derby.)
11-28-2007 07:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tigertommy Offline
Uber Butthead!

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: Jimmy V. Speech 1993 ESPY's...
I prefer his speech to Chris Washburn on how he would get him into school with an SAT score below 500.
I wonder if Jeb would suddenly like me if I got cancer. lol
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2007 07:20 PM by tigertommy.)
11-28-2007 07:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Watauga9 Offline
All American

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS
tigertommy Wrote:I prefer his speech to Chris Washburn on how he would get him into school with an SAT score below 500.

wow-wee-w00-wahhh!!
11-28-2007 07:26 PM
RCM1029 Away
Hall of Famer

Makes my eyes sweat every time I watch it.
11-28-2007 07:27 PM
tigertommy Offline
Uber Butthead!

Somewhere in Memphis Dana Kirk is curling his hair wondering why he wasn't the one that got cancer.
11-28-2007 07:30 PM
uofmcamaro Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Consistency
Tommy, that is wrong.
11-28-2007 11:33 PM
Advertisement

tigertommy Offline
Uber Butthead!

Sorry but Valvano was a real scumbag who was fired for cheating like crazy. Just because he died doesn't negate that especially since I don't think he ever fessed up and apologized for cheating.
11-29-2007 05:45 AM
klg316 Offline
Heisman

Not to mention that every single parochial league middle school football coach quotes that speech when trying to give a pep talk. Don't ever give up. Well uh coach, your team is 0-6 and has lost every game by three touchdowns or more. Your son isn't the next John Elway and you insist on running the fullback trap every play because it worked once late in the fourth quarter of a blowout loss. I think it's time to give the kids a dose of reality and let them know there are times when it is okay to give up. They aren't making it to the NFL in their lifetime and you need to stick to your day job as an Amway salesman and let one of the other fathers start their son at quarterback over the one kid on the team that can actually throw the ball.
11-29-2007 06:00 AM
kabluey Offline
Heisman

RCM1029 Wrote:Makes my eyes sweat every time I watch it.

I don't mean to pick on your post, but is there something about crying that we're afraid to say or admit? We are always feeling pressure to dilute the term, and replace it with "sweat," or "is the air dry in here," or other bullsh!t terms. You cried, I cried, we have to accept that we cry. Especially in light of what Jimmy V said, he's absolutely right, and it's part of living a full life. And being men, despite what society (blue-collar, southern, northern, whatever) says, imo requires us to admit and accept that more than it requires us to deny or cover it up or suppress it.

And F those who would mock you or me for not only crying, but admitting it with that accurate term.

End rant, and sorry for isolating your post for it.
11-29-2007 07:29 AM
kabluey Offline
Heisman

klg316 Wrote:Not to mention that every single parochial league middle school football coach quotes that speech when trying to give a pep talk. Don't ever give up. Well uh coach, your team is 0-6 and has lost every game by three touchdowns or more. Your son isn't the next John Elway and you insist on running the fullback trap every play because it worked once late in the fourth quarter of a blowout loss. I think it's time to give the kids a dose of reality and let them know there are times when it is okay to give up. They aren't making it to the NFL in their lifetime and you need to stick to your day job as an Amway salesman and let one of the other fathers start their son at quarterback over the one kid on the team that can actually throw the ball.

Well, the time to give up isn't during a game, or during a season. It's not about the NFL career. That's completely missing the point. It's about trying your hardest and overcoming obstacles, it's about developing resilience that would serve you in college when you're pulling all-nighters or serve you at your first job when you think you're in over your head. Developing the pattern of trying your hardest and putting your all into everything you do starts at an early age, and at that early age children absorb those lessons with different things, including sports. Sports lessons do transcend the actual sports.
11-29-2007 07:33 AM
uofmcamaro Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Consistency
Because he died doesn't negate it and yes, it is bad that he never fess up about it, but in the grave he doesn't deserve his name to be blasted like it has by you in this thread. Have a little more respect for the man since he is dead. Truly classless to slander someone like that. Sure he may not have been a moral model in the things he did, but nobody deserves to be talked bad about for dying of cancer. I take that back, there are few who do, but someone who violated college basketball rules is not one of them.
11-29-2007 07:34 AM
Advertisement

TigersOhMy Offline
Not 1st String

tigertommy Wrote:I prefer his speech to Chris Washburn on how he would get him into school with an SAT score below 500.

I guess your foundation has raised over 60 million dollars for cancer research too?
11-29-2007 07:37 AM
KYTIGER Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UofM
tigertommy Wrote:Sorry but Valvano was a real scumbag who was fired for cheating like crazy. Just because he died doesn't negate that especially since I don't think he ever fessed up and apologized for cheating.

I don't know how to modify the reputation that a User has, but someone should take some of your 7 "reputations" away. This is pretty low.
11-29-2007 07:40 AM
TigerChick Offline
All American

I Root For:
kabluey Wrote:

I don't mean to pick on your post, but is there something about crying that we're afraid to say or admit? We are always feeling pressure to dilute the term, and replace it with "sweat," or "is the air dry in here," or other bullsh!t terms. You cried, I cried, we have to accept that we cry. Especially in light of what Jimmy V said, he's absolutely right, and it's part of living a full life. And being men, despite what society (blue-collar, southern, northern, whatever) says, imo requires us to admit and accept that more than it requires us to deny or cover it up or suppress it.

And F those who would mock you or me for not only crying, but admitting it with that accurate term.

It is TW reference that's all....
11-29-2007 08:57 AM
RCM1029 Away
Hall of Famer

kabluey Wrote:

I have no problem saying that I cry...I cry a heck of a lot. I cry when a St. Jude commercial comes on television. I was just using a bit of symbolism...that's all.
11-29-2007 09:30 AM
TiggerFan Offline
See Ya, Albert

I Root For: US NAVY

Donators
Sports lessons do transcend the actual sports.
[/quote]

Amen, brother.
11-29-2007 10:01 AM
Advertisement

Tiger46 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
tigertommy Wrote:Sorry but Valvano was a real scumbag who was fired for cheating like crazy. Just because he died doesn't negate that especially since I don't think he ever fessed up and apologized for cheating.

While I have lost some friends way before their time to cancer, I am not one of those who idolize Jimmy V, I think he was way overrated and in some ways it was his cancer that immortalized him rather than his NCAA championship. I did admire his courage in his fight against cancer, but that didn't put him up on a pedestal for me.
11-29-2007 10:47 AM
tigertommy Offline
Uber Butthead!

Just because Valvano got cancer and died doesn't mean he was a good person. He was known as a real POS when it came to coaching and getting guys into school who could barely read. He was on the same level as Dana Kirk. Do you look past Dana's bad doings just because he looks like an old lady now?
I guess the best thing was that he got cancer and started the foundation. He should have apologized for what he had done at NC St but he didn't. He was sorry he got cancer.
11-29-2007 10:56 AM
TiggerFan Offline
See Ya, Albert

I Root For: US NAVY

Donators
I have no problem saying that I cry...I cry a heck of a lot. I cry when a St. Jude commercial comes on television. I was just using a bit of symbolism...that's all.
[/quote]

Man, some of those commercials are just plain powerful.
The little fella who says, "I weawy, weawy, weawy want to go home," before a dose of chemo gets me every time. And he is a survivor.
Different kind of hope in that little boy's eyes than Calkin's subject today.
11-29-2007 11:11 AM
tigergreen Offline

I Root For: MEMPHIS
kabluey Wrote:

holy crap....that phrase gets used on here by almost anyone & everyone who comments on something emotional, yet you single him out?

03-melodramatic
11-29-2007 11:21 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.