Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
I think the BE should approach the Peach Bowl
PusherT Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse
I think the BE should approach the Peach Bowl
Tell them we want them to be our "marquee" bowl and give them the B.EAST #2/3 to play the SEC #4. Move the game to New years day. I just think it is time for the Big East to dump the Gator bowl. The Gator Bowl will probably never invite Pitt,Cincy,SU or Uconn that is 50% of the league, they are just like the MCB but worst. I still remember a 9-2 SU team losing out on the Gator to a 7 win VT team. If Cincy fans are upset over the MCB snub wait until the Gator does to you
11-27-2007 04:26 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

I Root For: RU, SJU, UConn
RE: I think the BE should approach the Peach Bowl
It is not called the Peach Bowl anymore. They dropped the original name completely and it is simply the Chick-Fil-A Bowl now.

More importantly, though, how do you think the Big East will bump the ACC out of a bowl in the city of Atlanta? Not too likely.
11-27-2007 04:40 PM
templefootballfan Online
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
No shot
11-27-2007 04:41 PM
PusherT Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse
Krocker Krapp Wrote:It is not called the Peach Bowl anymore. They dropped the original name completely and it is simply the Chick-Fil-A Bowl now.

More importantly, though, how do you think the Big East will bump the ACC out of a bowl in the city of Atlanta? Not too likely.

I would think the Big East #2 will be able to do that , playing the SEC in Atlanta is a greater reward then playing ACC #2/#3 in Jacksonville
11-27-2007 04:43 PM
Advertisement

Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

PusherT Wrote:I would think the Big East #2 will be able to do that , playing the SEC in Atlanta is a greater reward then playing ACC #2/#3 in Jacksonville
You are only looking at it from a Big East point of view. What about the Atlanta point of view? There is an ACC school located a couple of blocks away from the Georgia Dome and the ACC has been playing in that game against the SEC for quite a few years. As businessmen based in Atlanta, why would the Peach Bowl dump the ACC for the Big East, that is the question? Many of the directors are probably ACC alumni or have some kind of ACC ties. Everyone here wants better bowl deals for the Big East, which will come, but they need to be pursued efficiently and intelligently.
11-27-2007 04:55 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Ga tec is in atlanta.. they are not going to drop the ACC for the BE.. lets get real here.. While we are at it CUSA should give their #1 to gator and replace BE #2.. It is just about as likely as chix bowl to BE
11-27-2007 06:43 PM
St. Patrick Eagle Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Before moving to Mississippi two years ago, I had lived in Atlanta. I can tell you one thing. The bowl is crazy about the ACC-SEC matchup. They will never give up a slot to any other conference.
11-27-2007 08:12 PM
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
A Big East - Big Ten Bowl in Indianapolis at the soon to be finished Lucas Oil Stadium is a no brainer. This facility is almost complete and it will be top shelf.
11-27-2007 08:20 PM
usffan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
It's a nice pipe dream to think about what bowls we would like to have in our line-up, but realistically what current bowls are out there for the taking that would also be viewed as attractive sites for travel for Big East squads?

Citrus currently Big Ten #2 vs. SEC #2. Not a chance in hell the Big East can get that one away from either of them.

Outback currently Big Ten #3 vs. SEC 3/4. Call me crazy, but I don't think an offer of the Big East's #2/Notre Dame (a relationship many on here have wanted to end) would be enough to pry either of those slots away, and it would cost us the Gator Bowl slot to do it. I don't see the Gator taking the Big East #3, but it's not impossible depending on what else is out there.

Cotton currently Big XII #2 vs. SEC 3/4. Again, I don't see us getting it without it costing us the Gator, and I'm not sure Dallas would be viewed as the best option.

Chick-Fil-A currently ACC #2 vs. SEC #5. No way a Big East #3 gets that bowl, could Big East #2 supplant SEC #5? This would at best be a trade for the Gator Bowl.

Music City currently SEC #6 vs. ACC 5/6/7. Now Nashville might be doable, but we'd have to knock out the ACC (no way they give up their SEC bid). What would it take? Big East #3 might be a worthwhile option here, but would Meineke settle for the fourth pick from the Big East?

Liberty currently CUSA #1 vs. SEC #6. A nice idea, but we've already seen that the Liberty Bowl is attached to the Memphis Tigers at the hip, so we're not getting the CUSA slot easily. I also don't think the city of Memphis is very high on the Big East after the latest round of expansion. I don't see this as likely.

Independence currently Big XII #7 vs. SEC #8. I'm not so sure a Big East #4 would have the pull to get this one, though maybe with the Notre Dame relationship. #3 definitely could, but is Shreveport better than Charlotte?

Champs Sports currently ACC #4 vs. Big Ten 4/5. The allure of the Big Ten teams to the Florida markets is too strong, and I'm not sure the Big East is viewed as as attractive in Orlando as the ACC. It would take at least the Big East's #3 to try to knock the ACC out of this, and I'm not positive that would be enough.

Motor City currently MAC vs. Big Ten #7. We might be able to knock out the Big Ten with our #4, but is that really better than the PapaJohns.com bowl?

Notice I left off San Antonio, San Francisco and other bowls further west, since they're not likely to be viewed as great destinations for football. So, with those as options, where could we realistically go in 2009 that doesn't involve starting new bowls? Could the Big East swing something like:

#1 - BCS
#2 - Gator Bowl vs. ACC #3
#3 - Champs Sports Bowl vs. Big Ten 4/5 (pipe dream) or Music City Bowl vs. SEC #6
#4 - Meineke Car Care Bowl vs. ACC 5/6/7
#5 - PapaJohns.com Bowl vs. CUSA #3
#6 - New Orleans Bowl vs. Sun Belt #1
#7 - International Bowl vs. MAC #3

Truth be told, I think that's the best we could hope for without starting any new bowls.

USFFan
11-27-2007 08:49 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
PusherT Wrote:Tell them we want them to be our "marquee" bowl and give them the B.EAST #2/3 to play the SEC #4. Move the game to New years day. I just think it is time for the Big East to dump the Gator bowl. The Gator Bowl will probably never invite Pitt,Cincy,SU or Uconn that is 50% of the league, they are just like the MCB but worst. I still remember a 9-2 SU team losing out on the Gator to a 7 win VT team. If Cincy fans are upset over the MCB snub wait until the Gator does to you

Peach Bowl/Chick-Fil-A Bowl won't be changing any time soon.

Peach Bowl has had 11 straight sellouts...so I don't see them changing their SEC/ACC agreement anytime soon.
11-27-2007 09:05 PM
Advertisement

RealDeal Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
We've got no shot at knocking the SEC out of any bowls. All those schools have passionate fanbases and getting the SEC's #8 team still gets more fans to your game than almost any BE team.

With the ACC being down that's the conference we need to pick a few bowls away from.

I really like the idea of a BE-B10 bowl in Indy. We here in Cincy have to deal with idiot B10 fans all the time and I love the opportunity to whoop their butt. Problem is that the B10 has a lot of good bowls already and I don't know what level B10 team we could attract.
11-27-2007 09:25 PM
Crimsonelf Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cardinals
RealDeal Wrote:We've got no shot at knocking the SEC out of any bowls. All those schools have passionate fanbases and getting the SEC's #8 team still gets more fans to your game than almost any BE team.

With the ACC being down that's the conference we need to pick a few bowls away from.

I really like the idea of a BE-B10 bowl in Indy. We here in Cincy have to deal with idiot B10 fans all the time and I love the opportunity to whoop their butt. Problem is that the B10 has a lot of good bowls already and I don't know what level B10 team we could attract.

Probably a low one, as it happens there are not enough bowl slots for all the bowl eligible B10 teams. I know Indiana is 7-5, and may be forced to wait for an at-large bid, if any. Now, Indiana isn't exactly cream of the crop, but B10 status is better than mid-major03-yawn
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2007 12:04 AM by Crimsonelf.)
11-28-2007 12:03 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Crimsonelf Wrote:
RealDeal Wrote:We've got no shot at knocking the SEC out of any bowls. All those schools have passionate fanbases and getting the SEC's #8 team still gets more fans to your game than almost any BE team.

Probably a low one, as it happens there are not enough bowl slots for all the bowl eligible B10 teams. I know Indiana is 7-5, and may be forced to wait for an at-large bid, if any. Now, Indiana isn't exactly cream of the crop, but B10 status is better than mid-major03-yawn

The Big Ten is shipping 2 teams out West (Purdue and IU?), Insight, and probably a fill in for Vegas. They will also have a 7-5 Michigan State in Detroit vs. The MAC ugly. Big Ten could also trade away a southern bowl game vs. SEC, give it to the ACC, so the Indy Bowl could be 9-3 or a 7-5 Big Ten team (Purdue, Iowa, MSU, Penn State etc. vs a Big East team with the same record).

The Big East is much stronger now and negotiate more bowls and better bowls.
11-28-2007 08:16 AM
Advertisement

Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

UCLA upsetting Oregon ensured that the Las Vegas Bowl will be filled by its two contracted leagues. The Pac-10 bowl which will be open is the Armed Forces Bowl in Fort Worth. You can figure on seeing the extra 7-5 Big Ten team there. The only other bowl expected to have an opening is the Big 12 spot in the Texas Bowl and that will go to TCU. Only some unforseen chicanery by the BCS can change those projections.

As for some of the bowls mentioned above, the Big East used to have a contract with the Music City Bowl, but we did not do what they wanted so they kicked us out. The Big East was expected to go down to Nashville and play the patsy for whatever mediocre SEC team they put across the field from us. We kept going down there and beating them like they owed us four years worth of lunch money instead so we gone.

We can't expect to steal any bowls and starting new bowls has to be an option.

#1 - BCS
#2 - Gator / Cotton vs. ACC / SEC - Rotate these two bowls with the Big 12.
#3 - Meineke / Sun vs. ACC / Pac-10 - Bump the Sun down a spot and rotate.
#4 - Tampa vs. Army/Navy or a leftover - Keep friends close and enemies closer.
#5 - International vs. MAC - We have a stake in this bowl and need it to work.
#6 - Papa John's vs. CUSA - The sixth place team has no reason to complain.

That is the best I can see us doing and eight teams do not require seven bowls.
11-28-2007 01:55 PM
chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
PusherT Wrote:
Krocker Krapp Wrote:It is not called the Peach Bowl anymore. They dropped the original name completely and it is simply the Chick-Fil-A Bowl now.

I would think the Big East #2 will be able to do that , playing the SEC in Atlanta is a greater reward then playing ACC #2/#3 in Jacksonville

I am sorry but it won't happen.

Atlanta loves having the number 2 ACC school vs a SEC team.

The Chick fil a Bowl, like the Cotton Bowl and Capital One Bowl, is the best of the non-BCS bowl games.

In many ways the SEC has the best bowl line up of any conference.
11-28-2007 09:35 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.