Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

The Golden Compass....Warning/Review
Bookmark and Share
TTTGal Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
The Golden Compass....Warning/Review
The movie is based on the book by Phillip Pullman, an atheist. Here is a small excerpt from an article about him and the movie which is now in theaters. It looks like "Narnia", but is far from it.
btw, Screwtape referenced in the article is the name C.S. Lewis used for the devil in his book, The Screwtape Letters.

He writes children’s literature that mocks God and ridicules church.... In Pullman’s universe, good and evil are reversed. God is the oppressor. Pullman portrays him as an angel created out of dust who lied to the angels that followed him in creation. His lie was that He claimed to be their creator. He got away with it until another angel questioned the lie.
Christians should be offended. Pullman’s plot is a blasphemy worthy of Screwtape himself. All Christians believe that God is not created, but the Creator. What the world now touts as bestselling children’s literature is, Christians believe, the very lie that motivated Lucifer and one-third of the angels to rebel against God....

http://www.catholiceducation.org/article...al0331.htm
(This post was last modified: 11-15-2007 08:42 AM by TTTGal.)
11-15-2007 08:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SchlaflyTiger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
RE: The Golden Compass....Warning
Okay . . . maybe we should put this under the religious forum.
11-15-2007 08:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TTTGal Offline
Special Teams

SchlaflyTiger Wrote:Okay . . . maybe we should put this under the religious forum.

We have had movie reviews posted here for years.
The trailers and ads are deceiving in making this look like a Narnia film, and appeals to children. Parents need to know. I'm sure alot of people will be surprised by the real intent of the movie.
11-15-2007 08:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TigerTitan Offline
Ginourmous Fan

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS

DonatorsDonators
Although I totally agree with the sentiments about the movie, I have to say this is one of the most well-organized boycott request email programs I have ever seen. I have recieved at least four copies of this similar email from my friends in the last few days.
11-15-2007 08:41 AM
TigerChick Offline
All American

I Root For:
TigerTitan Wrote:Although I totally agree with the sentiments about the movie, I have to say this is one of the most well-organized boycott request email programs I have ever seen. I have recieved at least four copies of this similar email from my friends in the last few days.

Me too. Just makes me want to see it and make my OWN mind up. It's a freakin movie, fake, fantasy, make believe. Will not change me, what I believe or who I am in any way.
11-15-2007 08:43 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
RE: The Golden Compass....Warning/Review
Your link is to a Catholic website and we all know that Catholics are not Christians. Please amend your post.
11-15-2007 08:45 AM
Advertisement

MemTigerFan Offline
The People's Photographer

I Root For: Tigers!

Donators
TTTGal Wrote:
SchlaflyTiger Wrote:Okay . . . maybe we should put this under the religious forum.

We have had movie reviews posted here for years.
The trailers and ads are deceiving in making this look like a Narnia film, and appeals to children. Parents need to know. I'm sure alot of people will be surprised by the real intent of the movie.

Psst: Just to let you know, everyone already knows the real intent of the movie. It's to make money. 03-shhhh
11-15-2007 08:51 AM
TTTGal Offline
Special Teams

fsquid Wrote:Your link is to a Catholic website and we all know that Catholics are not Christians. Please amend your post.

So, it's the source of the information that concerns you, NOT the actual information about the movie. Interesting. In the book, they "kill God" in the end.
You don't have see the movie to "judge for yourself", Chick. The book has said it all. Fantasy, fake, etc. I understand, but Pullman's books are written for children and are completely atheistic. No Christian should knowingly support movies/books like this.

fsquid, Nice way to highjack a thread, btw.
11-15-2007 08:54 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

TTTGal Wrote:
fsquid Wrote:Your link is to a Catholic website and we all know that Catholics are not Christians. Please amend your post.

So, it's the source of the information that concerns you, NOT the actual information about the movie. Interesting. In the book, they "kill God" in the end.

Yes, opinion piece by non-Christians.
11-15-2007 08:56 AM
bubbapt Offline
Uh, what?

Donators

Sister Mary Darth Vader will be coming to see you... soon.
11-15-2007 09:09 AM
UMTigerfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
TigerChick Wrote:It's a freakin movie, fake, fantasy, make believe. Will not change me, what I believe or who I am in any way.

true, but you are not 10 years old.
11-15-2007 09:10 AM
Advertisement

TTTGal Offline
Special Teams

squid, you are so wrong. I'll be happy to share with you my Catholic Christian faith, but NOT on this board. pm me and I can give you all the info you need.

Check Snopes for more info
http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp
11-15-2007 09:10 AM
TigerChick Offline
All American

I Root For:
Several key themes of the novels, the rejection of organized religion and the abuse of power in a fictionalized Catholic Church, are to be diluted in the adaptation. Director Weitz said "in the books the Magisterium is a version of the Catholic Church gone wildly astray from its roots" but that the organization portrayed in his film would not directly match that of Pullman's books. In an attempt to avoid a religious backlash, the Magisterium will instead be a critique of all dogmatic organizations.[30] Weitz said that New Line Cinema had feared the story's anti-religious themes would make the film financially unviable in the US, and so religion and God will not be referenced directly. Attempting to reassure fans of the novels, Weitz said that religion would instead appear in euphemistic terms, yet the decision has been attacked by some fans,[31] anti-censorship groups, and the National Secular Society (of which Pullman is an honorary associate), which said "they are taking the heart out of it, losing the point of it, castrating it",[32] "this is part of a long-term problem over freedom of speech." The changes from the novel have been present since Tom Stoppard's rejected version of the script,[22] and Pullman himself believes the film will be "faithful."[30]

As part of a two-month protest campaign, the Catholic League has called for a boycott of the film. They believe that while the religious elements of the film will be "watered down" from the source novels, it will still encourage children to read the series, which League president William A. Donohue says "denigrates Christianity" and promotes "atheism for kids",[4][33] citing author Pullman as saying that he is "trying to undermine the basis of Christian belief."[34] It is the League's hope that "the film [will fail] to meet box office expectations and that [Pullman's] books attract few buyers."[35]

Director Weitz says that he believes His Dark Materials is "not an atheistic work, but a highly spiritual and reverent piece of writing",[31] and Nicole Kidman has defended her decision to star in the film, saying that "the Catholic Church is part of my essence. I wouldn't be able to do this film if I thought it were at all anti-Catholic".[23]

Some commentators have indicated they believe both sides' criticism will prove ultimately "impotent" and that the negative publicity will prove a boon for the film's box office,[36][37] while other evangelical groups, such as The Christian Film and Television Commission, are adopting a "wait-and-see" approach to the film before deciding upon any action.[38]

From Wikipedia

So the movie critizes the church(s) and people are against it. I still say it is a freakin' movie and honestly the Catholic church is not exactly above criticism. I just don't see the controversy and all the publicity is going to do is sell more tickets. I am Catholic and me watching this movie will not change who I am or what I believe or don't believe. As for parents, they should research EVERY movie their kids go see, I am all for that. I also think parents can use this stuff to educate their kids and teach them to be open miinded without changeing their faith.
(This post was last modified: 11-15-2007 09:14 AM by TigerChick.)
11-15-2007 09:11 AM
bubbapt Offline
Uh, what?

Donators
UMTigerfan Wrote:
TigerChick Wrote:It's a freakin movie, fake, fantasy, make believe. Will not change me, what I believe or who I am in any way.

true, but you are not 10 years old.

I totally agree. I watched an episode of Mary Tyler Moore when I was ten, and it messed with my head for about six years.
11-15-2007 09:12 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I do not want your Catholism anywhere near me or my child. Thank you for not sharing it on this board.
11-15-2007 09:14 AM
TIGERBUDDY Offline
All American

Cool RE: The Golden Compass....Warning/Review
fsquid Wrote:I do not want your Catholism anywhere near me or my child. Thank you for not sharing it on this board.

Hey Squid. After that remark I know you are going to have a lot of us praying for you if you want it or not.
11-15-2007 09:22 AM
Advertisement

Tigerx3 Offline
Hall of Famer

TTTGal Wrote:The movie is based on the book by Phillip Pullman, an atheist. Here is a small excerpt from an article about him and the movie which is now in theaters. It looks like "Narnia", but is far from it.
btw, Screwtape referenced in the article is the name C.S. Lewis used for the devil in his book, The Screwtape Letters.

He writes children’s literature that mocks God and ridicules church.... In Pullman’s universe, good and evil are reversed. God is the oppressor. Pullman portrays him as an angel created out of dust who lied to the angels that followed him in creation. His lie was that He claimed to be their creator. He got away with it until another angel questioned the lie.
Christians should be offended. Pullman’s plot is a blasphemy worthy of Screwtape himself. All Christians believe that God is not created, but the Creator. What the world now touts as bestselling children’s literature is, Christians believe, the very lie that motivated Lucifer and one-third of the angels to rebel against God....

Thanks for the heads up. I had no idea but since your posts I have read as much as I could about the author, the triolgy and this movie. What I thought was going to be another fantasy movie is in fact a calculated attack on people of faith and God.

My family will not go.
11-15-2007 09:23 AM
Pressed Rat Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
On Campus Stadium Now
11-15-2007 09:25 AM
Derby Offline
tigris rex

DonatorsSkunkworksCrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
TTTGal Wrote:The movie is based on the book by Phillip Pullman, an atheist. Here is a small excerpt from an article about him and the movie which is now in theaters. It looks like "Narnia", but is far from it.

http://www.catholiceducation.org/article...al0331.htm
Excellent, can't wait to see it! Thanks.
11-15-2007 09:25 AM
TIGERBUDDY Offline
All American

Cool RE: The Golden Compass....Warning
TigerChick Wrote:
TigerTitan Wrote:Although I totally agree with the sentiments about the movie, I have to say this is one of the most well-organized boycott request email programs I have ever seen. I have recieved at least four copies of this similar email from my friends in the last few days.

Me too. Just makes me want to see it and make my OWN mind up. It's a freakin movie, fake, fantasy, make believe. Will not change me, what I believe or who I am in any way.

Why you you be quoting Benjamin Franklin referring to God if you don't believe in God? Strange....
11-15-2007 09:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.