Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Will SJSU stay 1A?
Bookmark and Share
trerocket Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

A friend of mine is getting his MBA here at U Toledo and got his undergrad degree at SJSU. He was on the Associated Students there and keeps in touch with the happening at SJSU. He told me that ultimately he thinks they will drop football to 1AA in the next 5 years. What do the SJSU and WAC fans in general think will happen? I think it would be too bad it they have to drop. The WAC has been taking some hard hits lately. I hope the WAC Commish has a contingency plan if they do lose SJSU football.

I like the WAC and was pulling for Nevada in the NCAA's. Nevada bball is everything that UNLV is not! :laugh: It was great to see a team win with some class. They kind of reminded me of Kent a couple of years ago. 04-cheers
05-02-2004 12:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

broncobob Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Broncos

Crappies

trerocket Wrote:A friend of mine is getting his MBA here at U Toledo and got his undergrad degree at SJSU. He was on the Associated Students there and keeps in touch with the happening at SJSU. He told me that ultimately he thinks they will drop football to 1AA in the next 5 years. What do the SJSU and WAC fans in general think will happen? I think it would be too bad it they have to drop. The WAC has been taking some hard hits lately. I hope the WAC Commish has a contingency plan if they do lose SJSU football.

I like the WAC and was pulling for Nevada in the NCAA's. Nevada bball is everything that UNLV is not! :laugh: It was great to see a team win with some class. They kind of reminded me of Kent a couple of years ago. 04-cheers
The Alumni of a school has more political power than the current student body. Too much traditon at SJS to drop football. I think San Diego State will drop football before San Jose State.
05-02-2004 05:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Minerfanatic Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

San Diego State is in a much worse posistion than SJSU. SDSU may not have a stadium much longer. If the Chargers move which is expected SDSU will have to drop football. The city has already said without the chargers they will tear down qualcom the land is to valuable to have an empty stadium and SJSU couldn't afford rent and upkeep and the land is to valuanbe to the city. Without Qualcom SDSU has to drop football there is no money for a new stadium. As go the Chargers go the Aztecs.
05-02-2004 09:36 PM
UCDavisAgs Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

SJSU is in much worse condition than SDSU. Do you think the City wants to lose the Holiday Bowl? If the Chargers leave look for the city to partner with the University to build a stadium that would host the Aztecs near campus. SJSU football is as good as gone.
05-13-2004 10:14 PM
Advertisement

jd_boggs Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

With all due respect to your opinion regarding SJSU dropping football. You friend is misinformed or better yet mis connected to reality of the situation in Sparta. First, SJUS has met and will continue to meet all NCAA regulations and stay divsion 1A. Second, the political climate is changing in congress and will regulate the NCAA from its power to demote any college to Division II. You can educate yourself by reading this link. <a href='http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/more/05/13/bc.ncaa.congress.ap/index.html' target='_blank'>http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/more...s.ap/index.html</a>

Third, every college in the nations is some finacial mess. Even if they don't admit it openly. Most colleges juggle the books to make it look good. So, just because the State of California is in finacial shambles doesn't mean that we will not pick up the slack by raising more money. Forth, SJSU has over 105 year tradition of football and it will not go down. SJSU football tradition is older than most collge institutions in the western United States! I hope this helps you understand the situation a little.
05-14-2004 01:07 AM
broncobob Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Broncos

Crappies

jd_boggs Wrote:With all due respect to your opinion regarding SJSU dropping football. You friend is misinformed or better yet mis connected to reality of the situation in Sparta. First, SJUS has met and will continue to meet all NCAA regulations and stay divsion 1A. Second, the political climate is changing in congress and will regulate the NCAA from its power to demote any college to Division II. You can educate yourself by reading this link. <a href='http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/more/05/13/bc.ncaa.congress.ap/index.html' target='_blank'>http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/more...s.ap/index.html</a>

Third, every college in the nations is some finacial mess. Even if they don't admit it openly. Most colleges juggle the books to make it look good. So, just because the State of California is in finacial shambles doesn't mean that we will not pick up the slack by raising more money. Forth, SJSU has over 105 year tradition of football and it will not go down. SJSU football tradition is older than most collge institutions in the western United States! I hope this helps you understand the situation a little.
I agree. SJSU has too much football tradition to ever drop football. They will find a way to survive. I remember back when San Jose used to beat Stanford on a regular basis when their coaches name was Elway!
05-14-2004 08:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts

As long as the administration is willing to fund it, SJSU will be I-A.

The changing face of the WAC will help as travel costs will be dropping in the more regional WAC.
05-14-2004 08:35 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.