Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Sac State - for Basketball?
Bookmark and Share
jediwarrior Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Sac State - for Basketball?
Sac State is the reigning WAC Champion in Gymnastics. Sac State is also an Associate WAC member in baseball as well.

If 10 is the perfect number for basketball, why not add them for basketball as well?

I think it's a pretty good idea...but here's my "pro's" and "con's":

Pro's -

1. It allows Sac State to get further "rooted" into the WAC.

2. They're an "easy" travel partner for Nevada, SJSU, Fresno, and Hawaii (...and probably most of the WAC).

3. The WAC's toe hold on Sacto starts to form.

Con's -

It allows Sac State to get further "rooted" into the WAC...hence making it more difficult to choose UC Davis over Sac State if a current WAC member bolts.
10-23-2007 10:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

I Root For: RU, SJU, UConn
RE: Sac State - for Basketball?
It probably will not happen but I think it is a great idea. Sacramento State would become the default next member if anyone bolts the WAC in the next few years.

They could move their football team to the Great West Conference with UC Davis, Cal Poly SLO, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Southern Utah in the meantime.

The argument against them doing that is losing a shot at an autobid to the FCS playoffs, but they never win the Big Sky autobid as it is, so this should not matter.

I do not think it ought to be an issue of choosing Sacramento State vs. UC Davis because both should eventually get into the WAC, and belong together, anyway.
10-23-2007 03:35 PM
Six Pack Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Nevada
Con-

It's Sacramento State.

The league doesn't need to be any more heavy at the bottom.
10-23-2007 09:48 PM
Advertisement

jediwarrior Offline
1st String

I Root For:
KK - I'm not sure how effective it would be to have both Sac State and UC Davis in the league. But...maybe it could work though.

Both schools are making "improvements" to their athletic facilities...and Sac State does have the "Project 2010" on the books...so...

I guess the most important thing for the WAC is to "stay" at 9 schools. If somebody leaves, replace them one-for-one.
10-24-2007 05:10 PM
Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

My thought is that the WAC needs to center its core in California in the future. An impending Sacramento State vs. UC Davis rivalry could work for the WAC like Alabama vs. Auburn in the SEC or Texas vs. Texas A&M in the Big 12, but on a lighter scale, I guess. Local rivalries help drive conferences as much as diversified markets. If they both commit to FBS football in the future it seems to make too much sense for the WAC not to work something out with them.
10-24-2007 11:35 PM
Advertisement

jediwarrior Offline
1st String

I Root For:
True. I thought about USC and UCLA...and they seem to be very happy being in the same conference. I think it could work.
10-25-2007 04:42 PM
SJSrat Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
Sac State doesn't even have the conjones to play Cal Poly in football! Why would we take a program that is afraid to play one of their sister State Universities...especially considering that they are the only other CSU playing FCS (I-AA) football in the State!

Sure, they've got a nice AM radio station and a major newspaper, but they must have a lousy president.

What's the capacity of their stadium?

http://www.facilities.calpoly.edu/Albums/SS_Album/
10-25-2007 06:16 PM
Advertisement

jediwarrior Offline
1st String

I Root For:
...but they have the conjones to play both Boise and Fresno...so that should count for something? :)

That dude Spanos is "everywhere". Isn't he the one that put up the cash for Sac State's "Project 2010"?

Noticed his name on the stadium at Cal Ply.
10-26-2007 02:38 AM
Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

Cal Poly football: Mustangs announce football schedule
San Jose State and Ohio University top 2009 slate of 11 games
By Tribune staff report

Announcing its 2009 schedule this week, the Cal Poly football team will face two FBS teams on the road, will travel to two FCS conference champions and renews a rivalry that went interrupted in the Rich Ellerson era.

In two of their first three games of the season, the Mustangs will travel to Ohio University on Sept. 19 and San Jose State on Sept. 26 to see if they can recreate the buzz they got after upsetting San Diego State in the season opener last season and nearly doing the same at Wisconsin in the regular season finale in 2008.

Those two games come after Cal Poly opens at home Sept. 12 against Sacramento State, a longtime rival that hasn’t been on the schedule since 2006.

Prior to that, the Mustangs and Hornets had played annually since 1983.

In addition to Sacramento State, which plays in the Big Sky Conference, Cal Poly will also take on Montana and Weber State, the Big Sky co-champions last season.

Both games will be on the road with the Mustangs traveling to Missoula, Mont., on Oct. 10 and Ogden, Utah, in the season finale Nov. 22. Of Cal Poly’s three losses last season, the Grizzlies and Wildcats accounted for two of them.

Montana dropped the Mustangs to 1-1 as Andrew Gardner’s potential game-winning field goal in the final minute sailed wide one week after he hit the game-winner to take out the Aztecs.

Weber State knocked Cal Poly out of the playoffs in the first Division I home playoff game in Mustangs history.

Less than a month following the loss, Ellerson took nearly his entire staff with him when he was hired to take over as head coach at Army.

Ellerson was replaced at Cal Poly in early January by Tim Walsh, who was ousted after two years as Army’s offensive coordinator. Walsh takes over a team that lost eight regulars on offense, including a trio of school record-breakers at quarterback, running back and receiver as well as two other four-year starters.

With the marquee games mentioned above, Walsh figures on finding out just how much talent he has to work with very quickly.

“I think it’s an extremely challenging schedule,” Walsh said in a news release, “but that is what we want it to be because it allows us to find out how we stack up.”

This article appeared on the San Luis Obispo Tribune website on Wednesday, April 22, 2009.
07-28-2009 12:50 PM
Advertisement

chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
I'd say if the WAC can get a commitment from Sacramento State to upgrade to FBS as soon as the WAC invites them, and figures out how to share the revenue with them in the interm, to go for it. They might even be able to work out a deal where the Big Sky allows them to play football there in the interim (since I doubt the Big Sky really wants Southern Utah for all sports).
07-29-2009 07:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kingpotato Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Boise State
(10-23-2007 10:50 AM)jediwarrior Wrote:  Sac State is the reigning WAC Champion in Gymnastics. Sac State is also an Associate WAC member in baseball as well.

If 10 is the perfect number for basketball, why not add them for basketball as well?

I think it's a pretty good idea...but here's my "pro's" and "con's":

Pro's -

1. It allows Sac State to get further "rooted" into the WAC.

2. They're an "easy" travel partner for Nevada, SJSU, Fresno, and Hawaii (...and probably most of the WAC).

3. The WAC's toe hold on Sacto starts to form.

Con's -

It allows Sac State to get further "rooted" into the WAC...hence making it more difficult to choose UC Davis over Sac State if a current WAC member bolts.

Boise State has won the WAC Gymnastics Title two years running.

http://www.wacsports.com/ViewArticle.dbm...ID=3696749

Oh, and Sac State... icky.
07-30-2009 03:21 PM
Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

Benson says WAC has no desire to expand
Submitted by Brian Murphy
Wed, 07/29/2009 - 7:39am

9:32 a.m. — WAC commissioner Karl Benson just held his annual state of the conference address to the media assembled here in Salt Lake City.

Benson touched on a host of conference issues, from television to economics, from officiating crews to a new television contract with ESPN, from BCS issues to the rivalry with the Mountain West.

Much of his time was spent on expansion. The WAC has had the same membership since 2005 when Idaho, New Mexico State and Utah State joined the league. And Benson said the league has no plans to add a 10th member.

"We do not anticipate any interest and desire in seeking a 10th team ... Let's put to rest the notion that the WAC is interested in going to 10 teams," Benson said, adding that the league presidents have told him "to spend my time doing something else rather than worrying if we're going to have a 10th team."

Nor does Benson believe that the league is likely to lose a team in the next five years. Boise State has made no secret of its desire to move to the Mountain West Conference. Other schools, such as Nevada and Fresno State, have also been mentioned as possible targets if the Mountain West attempts to expand to 12 teams.

"Despite some of the chatter and some of the speculation that we see, I really believe we are in a stable time and five years from now, it is very likely to see the same nine members of the WAC that are here today will be part of the WAC membership," Benson said.

Benson said he appreciated the fact that Boise State has been open about its desires and not done business behind closed doors. Benson said it is his job to convince members in his conference that it is in their best interests to remain the WAC.

"Over the course of the last five years, over their entire time in the WAC, you can't say (the Broncos) haven't benefited from their membership in the WAC and benefited tremendously."

This article appeared on the Idaho Statesman website on Wednesday, July 29, 2009.
07-30-2009 07:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.