WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
10-16-2007 07:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

zibby Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: Cuse Announces Sucessor to Replace Jim Boeheim
Isn't this old news? I thought it was pretty much decided that Hopkins didn't take the St. Bonaquitter job three years ago because he going to be Boeheim's successor.
10-16-2007 08:16 PM
Find all posts by this user
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
zibby Wrote:Isn't this old news? I thought it was pretty much decided that Hopkins didn't take the St. Bonaquitter job three years ago because he going to be Boeheim's successor.

This was in fact reported, but it seems that the Cuse officials would not really confirm anything at that time. Now it has been confirmed according to this article.
10-16-2007 09:00 PM
Advertisement

cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
cuseroc Wrote:
zibby Wrote:Isn't this old news? I thought it was pretty much decided that Hopkins didn't take the St. Bonaquitter job three years ago because he going to be Boeheim's successor.

This was in fact reported, but it seems that the Cuse officials would not really confirm anything at that time. Now it has been confirmed according to this article.

Now Gross is denying that Hopkins has been confirmed as the next SU head bb coach:

MBB | Gross denies report that Hopkins will succeed Boeheim
Matt Gelb
Issue date: 10/16/07 Section: Sports

Syracuse Director of Athletics Daryl Gross denied a report Tuesday that the university had reached a formal agreement making assistant men's basketball coach Mike Hopkins the successor to head coach Jim Boeheim.

The Associated Press reported that a written agreement is in place stipulating that when Boeheim chooses to retire, the 13-year assistant Hopkins will take over as coach. Gross was quoted in the article as saying, "Jim isn't going anywhere, but Mike is my next coach," but said Tuesday night that his comments were taken out of context.

Gross reiterated there is no written contract in place and said his statement to the AP was "a concept."

"That story is not very accurate and I find that it's very premature to even be talking about it and I indicated that to them," Gross said by phone. "Everything that they talked to me about has totally been taken out of context and I'm not very appreciative of what was reported."

Hopkins was quoted in the story, saying he had reached an agreement and was "very humbled." Multiple calls to Hopkins, who is on the road, were not returned Tuesday night.

It has long been speculated that Hopkins, 37, would eventually succeed the legendary Boeheim, who is entering his 32nd season as head coach, but Syracuse has never officially indicated a formal contract was signed. Boeheim hasn't indicated a timetable for his retirement.

Hopkins played for Boeheim from 1989-1993 and joined the SU staff in 1995. In the past few years, he's turned down head coaching overtures from other Division I schools, including Siena and St. Bonaventure.

"Mike, as I always maintain, is an outstanding, extraordinary, rare coach," Gross said. "He is going to be a terrific head coach. He is. He's going to be one of the best ever at some point. But it's way too premature to even get into that conversation (of him taking over at Syracuse)."

The Associated Press writer, reached Tuesday night by phone, stood by the original story and quote from Gross.

"It shouldn't even be in discussion right now," Gross said. "It's unfortunate that somebody wrote something like that."
(This post was last modified: 10-16-2007 09:21 PM by cuseroc.)
10-16-2007 09:20 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
Wow, I don't like this move at all. Syracuse could do a lot better. I think people in the athletic department should look at what happened to UNC when they gave the job to long time assistant Bill Guthridge and Georgetown when they have the job to Craig Eshik (sp?). Hiring an established coach with no connection to Jimmy B would be much better IMO

Jackson
10-16-2007 09:49 PM
Advertisement

cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
Jackson1011 Wrote:Wow, I don't like this move at all. Syracuse could do a lot better. I think people in the athletic department should look at what happened to UNC when they gave the job to long time assistant Bill Guthridge and Georgetown when they have the job to Craig Eshik (sp?). Hiring an established coach with no connection to Jimmy B would be much better IMO

Jackson

Hey Jackson, where ya been lately? I havent seen you posting much. Good to hear from you again.04-cheers
I agree with you about getting an established coach. Mike Hopkins has no head coaching experience. I know you have to start somewhere, but not for the Cuse. Basketball is all that we got right now, and I dont want to see that go down the tubes.
10-16-2007 10:00 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
Quote:Hey Jackson, where ya been lately? I havent seen you posting much. Good to hear from you again.04-cheers
I agree with you about getting an established coach. Mike Hopkins has no head coaching experience. I know you have to start somewhere, but not for the Cuse. Basketball is all that we got right now, and I dont want to see that go down the tubes.

-- Thanks, its good to be back. Things are getting busy at work and just haven't had much time to post

As for Syracuse, IMO you put Rick Majerus in that spot and you'll be a winner for a long time. And while we are speaking of coaches who would take the Cuse job, I would bet my house that Johnny Beilein would leave Michigan in a heartbeat to go back to upstate NY

Jackson
10-16-2007 10:09 PM
Advertisement

cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
Jackson1011 Wrote:
Quote:Hey Jackson, where ya been lately? I havent seen you posting much. Good to hear from you again.04-cheers

-- Thanks, its good to be back. Things are getting busy at work and just haven't had much time to post

As for Syracuse, IMO you put Rick Majerus in that spot and you'll be a winner for a long time. And while we are speaking of coaches who would take the Cuse job, I would bet my house that Johnny Beilein would leave Michigan in a heartbeat to go back to upstate NY

Jackson

Great minds think alike.03-lmfao I always have felt the same way about Beilein. Being a native Upstate New Yorker, I always felt that the guy was waiting for the Cuse job.
10-16-2007 10:40 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
This sure helps for continuity's sake. I'm sure all Orange fans are pleased to know their program won't suffer through a protracted coaching search once Boeheim retires.
10-17-2007 08:00 AM
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

[Image: Hopkins,Mike04web.jpg]

Hopkins' Bio

I trust Boeheim on this one. Frankly, I don't want our AD making the call on this staff pick. Hopefully Jim starts giving him some more leadership opportunities to develop his head coaching acumen. I'd love to see Jim let him run the show against one of our weak sisters of Upstate NY in Nov or Dec. Most smart people think he will retire in 2 to 5 seasons.
10-17-2007 08:34 AM
Orange Eagles Offline
Special Teams

Jackson1011 Wrote:Wow, I don't like this move at all. Syracuse could do a lot better. I think people in the athletic department should look at what happened to UNC when they gave the job to long time assistant Bill Guthridge and Georgetown when they have the job to Craig Eshik (sp?). Hiring an established coach with no connection to Jimmy B would be much better IMO

Jackson

I don't like idiot Gross' move to take back his statement...but I like keeping it in house. Hopkins is a SU grad and has been with the program under Boeheim for years! He has tons of experience learning from the best.

I wouldn’t like to see someone with no ties to the school come in. I want someone who will become another legend and who will keep it a close-knit program that competes annually.

This is old news, though, it was reported like a year and a half ago, I don’t know why there’s so much hype now.
10-17-2007 09:55 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.