Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Hawaii in Financial Crisis???
Bookmark and Share
broncobob Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Broncos

Crappies

What's worse, that there apparently is another budget deficit in the University of Hawai'i athletic department, or that nobody seems to know how to corral the situation?

With seven weeks left in the fiscal year, Manoa Chancellor Peter Englert said Tuesday, "I think we're looking at a deficit for the athletics department at this point in time."

He didn't look pleased about it, either.

Not that it should be a lightning bolt surprise. For weeks now, rumors have been circulating that more red ink is on the way. The only question has been: How much?

So far, UH officials — the ones who have dared speak, anyway — have maintained they don't have a ballpark figure on the tab. You'd like to think they just don't want to fess up yet. Because it would be really scary if they didn't have a grasp of how much of a shortfall they're looking at.

<a href='http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/current/sp/ferd' target='_blank'>Click here for rest of story</a>
05-20-2004 03:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

broncobob Offline
1st String

Crappies

broncobob Wrote:What's worse, that there apparently is another budget deficit in the University of Hawai'i athletic department, or that nobody seems to know how to corral the situation?

With seven weeks left in the fiscal year, Manoa Chancellor Peter Englert said Tuesday, "I think we're looking at a deficit for the athletics department at this point in time."

Not that it should be a lightning bolt surprise. For weeks now, rumors have been circulating that more red ink is on the way. The only question has been: How much?

So far, UH officials — the ones who have dared speak, anyway — have maintained they don't have a ballpark figure on the tab. You'd like to think they just don't want to fess up yet. Because it would be really scary if they didn't have a grasp of how much of a shortfall they're looking at.

<a href='http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/current/sp/ferd' target='_blank'>Click here for rest of story</a>
Another piece on the same topic:

<a href='http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2004/May/19/sp/sp01a.html' target='_blank'>http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/...9/sp/sp01a.html</a>
05-20-2004 03:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
broncobob Offline
1st String

Crappies

broncobob Wrote:
broncobob Wrote:What's worse, that there apparently is another budget deficit in the University of Hawai'i athletic department, or that nobody seems to know how to corral the situation?

Another piece on the same topic:

<a href='http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2004/May/19/sp/sp01a.html' target='_blank'>http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/...9/sp/sp01a.html</a>
Does Hawaii pay any subsidies to the WAC?

I know they were talking about paying subsidies to the MWC teams to compensate for travel expenses. Does not sound like they can do that to me.

I sure hope our friends in Hawaii can get their ducks in a row. This is not only bad news for Hawaii sports fans, but for all WAC fans.
05-20-2004 03:12 PM
1boisebro Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

i was under the impression that most 1A schools lose money on their athletic programs but keep investing in it because of the recruiting power and prestige of being a 1A university.

then again, maybe i'm mistaken. maybe this is just another example of the difference between the haves (bcs) and have nots (midmajors).

hawaii's concerned because they don't yet "have a ballpark figure on the tab", while some BCS universities are more concerned because they don't yet have a tab for their new ballpark.
05-20-2004 03:14 PM
broncobob Offline
1st String

Crappies

1boisebro Wrote:i was under the impression that most 1A schools lose money on their athletic programs but keep investing in it because of the recruiting power and prestige of being a 1A university.

then again, maybe i'm mistaken. maybe this is just another example of the difference between the haves (bcs) and have nots (midmajors).

hawaii's concerned because they don't yet "have a ballpark figure on the tab", while some BCS universities are more concerned because they don't yet have a tab for their new ballpark.
Boise State is required by State law to balance their athletic budget every year. Makes big headlines when their is a deficit. Remember the $26,000 accounting error a couple of years ago.

Sooner or later, the piper will be paid and not in vandal dollars!!!
05-20-2004 03:21 PM
1boisebro Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

state law sucks.

no WONDER we can't get a new italian marble, gold-trimmed football-only stadium built on the snow-owl reserve.

wisconsin has one.
05-20-2004 03:31 PM
Advertisement

Dog Breath Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

broncobob Wrote:
1boisebro Wrote:i was under the impression that most 1A schools lose money on their athletic programs but keep investing in it because of the recruiting power and prestige of being a 1A university.

Boise State is required by State law to balance their athletic budget every year. Makes big headlines when their is a deficit. Remember the $26,000 accounting error a couple of years ago.

Sooner or later, the piper will be paid and not in vandal dollars!!!
What is a vandal dollar?
05-20-2004 06:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Roughrider Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

A vandal dollar is ficticious. Doesn't really exist, but then again it doesn't have to.

Hawaii's budget issues can be summed up in one contract: June Jones, king of the overpaid. I think their hoops coach is way overpaid too.
05-20-2004 10:44 PM
badgerwolf Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

1boisebro Wrote:state law sucks.

no WONDER we can't get a new italian marble, gold-trimmed football-only stadium built on the snow-owl reserve.

wisconsin has one.
state law sucks.

wisconsin has one.

YES and it is a thing of beauty; we love it!!!
:lolup:
05-21-2004 09:14 AM
broncobob Offline
1st String

Crappies

badgerwolf Wrote:
1boisebro Wrote:state law sucks.

wisconsin has one.
state law sucks.

wisconsin has one.

YES and it is a thing of beauty; we love it!!!
:lolup:
OH, OH, ....BoiseBro has found another Wisconsin fan!!!!!
05-21-2004 09:38 AM
1boisebro Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

broncobob Wrote:OH, OH, ....BoiseBro has found another Wisconsin fan!!!!!
what do you mean "found" another one?

isn't everyone a badger fan? they have hockey, bob! men's AND women's teams! great ones!

now you know why i want BSU to get a hockey team, eh?
:)
05-21-2004 11:30 AM
Advertisement

broncobob Offline
1st String

Crappies

1boisebro Wrote:
broncobob Wrote:OH, OH, ....BoiseBro has found another Wisconsin&nbsp; fan!!!!!
what do you mean "found" another one?

isn't everyone a badger fan? they have hockey, bob! men's AND women's teams! great ones!

now you know why i want BSU to get a hockey team, eh?
:)
Okay then, here is a legitimate question:

Where did this quote come from: "Badgers, We don't need no stinking badgers"!

Or have you ever heard it?
05-21-2004 02:02 PM
1boisebro Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

well bob, that quote came from one of three places:

1) the roadkill chili cook at a hillbilly festival.

2) the MWC wonks who decided they had invited enough global powerhouse football teams to their massively talented conference and decided against extending wisconsin the blessed opportunity of joining them.

3) raul hernandez in uhf. i forget the context. may have been in reference to a bogart film or something.

go badgers! go broncos! tie when you play!!
05-21-2004 02:30 PM
TUfan Offline
1st String

I Root For:

1boisebro Wrote:isn't everyone a badger fan? they have hockey, bob! men's AND women's teams! great ones!
No. I am certainly NOT a Badger fan. I'll take the Gophers any day-- much better hockey is played in Minnesota, and not just at the collegiate level!
05-21-2004 10:19 PM
badgerwolf Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

TUfan Wrote:
1boisebro Wrote:isn't everyone a badger fan? they have hockey, bob! men's AND women's teams! great ones!
No. I am certainly NOT a Badger fan. I'll take the Gophers any day-- much better hockey is played in Minnesota, and not just at the collegiate level!
That works for me; Gophers sold to TUFan
LOL 04-bow
05-21-2004 11:30 PM
1boisebro Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

i beg to differ, TUfan. i grew up playing hockey in wisconsin, and we never lost to a minnesota team in the opportunities we had to play them -- even beating highly-ranked edina, duluth and bemidji in youth hockey (those are the three i remember because they were always so highly regarded). so at least in the late 70s and 80s wisconsin's youth hockey was competitive with minny's!

i DO have a minnesota wild jersey, though. if there's any nhl team i pull for, it's them. technically, having been born in minneapolis, i suppose they're my hometown nhl hockey team. plus the jersey is cool.

but don't worry; you'll soon come around and realize that you're really a closet badger fan...and packer fan... and brewers fan ... bucks fan ... and, of course, boise state fan...
05-22-2004 11:20 AM
Advertisement

TUfan Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Hockey IS Minnesota.

Cheese is Wisconsin...well, not any more. I hear that California is now the #1 dairy producing state in the US.
05-22-2004 02:59 PM
1boisebro Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

now now, TUfan. let's not stoop to stereotyping with cheese and potatos and such.

minny and wisky are more alike than either would care to admit -- both the states and the universities.

and if cali wants to be the Dairy State, fine by me. wisky will keep producing harleys to drive to the sporting event and beer to drink while there...
05-23-2004 05:07 PM
TUfan Offline
1st String

I Root For:

I don't like Harleys. Beer on the other hand...well, not the kind made in Wisconsin.
05-23-2004 05:52 PM
broncobob Offline
1st String

Crappies

TUfan Wrote:I don't like Harleys. Beer on the other hand...well, not the kind made in Wisconsin.
What TUFan, you don't like "Milwaukee's Best"???????
05-24-2004 08:37 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.