Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Al Gore wins the Nobel Peace Prize
Bookmark and Share
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
Al Gore wins the Nobel Peace Prize
How does global warming = a peace prize? Nothing like starting a good argument. I agree with one thing Gore says. We need to protect our environment and conserve natural resources. I still don't fully believe that we are in global warming. The earths average tempature has gone up and down over numerous decades. Next year might be a down turn and we will be talking about the return of the ice age. Hell, the all the weather people were predicting a huge hurricane season. WRONG. If they can't predict 3 or 4 months in advance, how can they predict global warming. I better be careful, Al Gore invented the internet and I might lose my privleges to post here.
10-12-2007 03:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

huskiealum03 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU & Go Go Sox
RE: Al Gore wins the Nobel Peace Prize
global warming or not, the ever growing human population + increased demand for oil = shrinking oil natural resources = war.

the world has taken on the mindset of excess, and that kind of mindset isn't good for us.
10-12-2007 06:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
Well at least this wasn't completely a thread about how global warming isn't real.. that's what I was afraid of when I saw the topic, next I'd have to read that evolution isn't real. They aren't predicting Global Warming to the day like they are the weather.. you can predict that the seasons are coming, can't you? It's an estimate, it's not like he laid down a 10 day forecast of global warming.

Maybe it's a slow year in the peace business.. it's not like anyone has ended the war the US is in, or anyone stopped the violence in Darfur.
10-12-2007 06:40 PM
kingbutter Offline
On A Roll

I Root For: NIU Huskies
Folding@NCAAbbs
weather is cyclical, end of story...where is my f'in peace prize...I'm about to f*** somebody up.....
10-12-2007 10:38 PM
Advertisement

onlinepole Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NU & NIU
Gore is to be praised for addressing a serious issue that is affecting people around the globe in a thoughtful way.

Whatever you want to call it, our climate has changed. I'm as old if not older than most of U who post here. I was around for the cold and snowy winters of the 60's and late 70's. My better half is from southern Illinois and she tells me the winters we've had in metro Chicago the past 10 years remind here of winters in that part of the state, not the northern Illinois winters she had experienced in the 1980's.

Lakes in the southeastern US (Lake Lanier, GA) are drying up as is Lake Powell, AZ. Lanier supplies most of Atlanta's drinking water and if they don't get significant rain it's going to dry up by Christmas. Georgia hasn't had measurable rainfall in the last 3 months, that's not normal.
10-12-2007 10:48 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
kingbutter Wrote:weather is cyclical, end of story...where is my f'in peace prize...I'm about to f*** somebody up.....
You get the "dumb*** in science" prize. Why? Because you don't even know the difference between weather and climate. Lets be honest. If you can't differentiate between the 2 you should not even comment on the subject. Period. End 'O Subject. 05-stirthepot
10-12-2007 10:54 PM
niuguy Offline
The first in, last out!

Fact: CO2 is a green house gas.

Fact: Green House gases keep heat in the atmosphere.

Fact: CO2 levels are increasing.

Unknown: The exact reaction of the climate. hotter? wetter? drier? where?
10-15-2007 06:33 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

calvin12 Offline
I am the overlord of everything

I Root For: duh
RobertN Wrote:
kingbutter Wrote:weather is cyclical, end of story...where is my f'in peace prize...I'm about to f*** somebody up.....
You get the "dumb*** in science" prize. Why? Because you don't even know the difference between weather and climate. Lets be honest. If you can't differentiate between the 2 you should not even comment on the subject. Period. End 'O Subject. 05-stirthepot

let me correct it for him then, climate is cyclical. I'm pretty sure people didn't case any of the previous ice ages to start nor end. Each of those happened to to non-human intervention. The facts are that temp records for more than 100 or so years ago are incomplete at best, inaccurate due to instrumentation, or non-existant at worst. The temps from 1400 are inferred by looking at ice, well you can't tell 12.2 egrees from 13 degrees by the ice. It's estimates of past climate that are being used against facts about the current climate. Is it warmer not than 200 years ago, maybe, probably even. Could it be because we are at or near the natural high point of the warm cycle between ice ages?
10-15-2007 02:35 PM
niuguy Offline
The first in, last out!

How can a sane man even argue that man doesn't have an influence on our environment? I don't argue that climate naturally changes...but there hasn't been any other carbon based terrestrial influence like man until now. You are an idiot and a mouthpiece for whatever group you are sleeping with.
10-15-2007 03:45 PM
armour248 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
I had this argument over the weekend and all I have to say is that Al Gore wasn't given the Nobel Peace Prize by a bunch of idiots. I'm sure whoever voted on the award is highly distinguished and very intelligent.
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2007 03:51 PM by armour248.)
10-15-2007 03:50 PM
Advertisement

RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
armour248 Wrote:I had this argument over the weekend and all I have to say is that Al Gore wasn't given the Nobel Peace Prize by a bunch of idiots. I'm sure whoever voted on the award is highly distinguished and very intelligent.
Of course they aren't idiots. I have heard many people wonder how this could be a peace prize winner when it doesn't have to do with peace. It makes sense that when climate in one area changes and can't support itself they would fight others that do have the resources to acquire them. Happens all the time. This would just be more widespread.
10-15-2007 04:21 PM
calvin12 Offline
I am the overlord of everything

I Root For: duh
niuguy Wrote:How can a sane man even argue that man doesn't have an influence on our environment? I don't argue that climate naturally changes...but there hasn't been any other carbon based terrestrial influence like man until now. You are an idiot and a mouthpiece for whatever group you are sleeping with.

who me? I didn't saw we don't have an impact. I just, as a scientist, can't believe that we are *responsible* for whatever change there might be. There is no way to know that it is actually hotter now than it was 20,000 years ago. People can infer things, but the change that is being talked about is not big and using inferences for your baseline is bad science. The numbers for the last 100 years should be relatively good, but any change over the last 100 years could be natural just as easily as man made. Is it better to be safe than sorry, sure, but there's no need to act like chicken little about it. And it is true that livestock generate more CO2 than cars. I'll give up my car before I give up bacon and steak though. The amount of livesock is a human based influence, maybe we should get rid of animals.
From the EPA website "Methane (CH4) is a greenhouse gas that remains in the atmosphere for approximately 9-15 years. Methane is over 20 times more effective in trapping heat in the atmosphere than carbon dioxide (CO2) over a 100-year period and is emitted from a variety of natural and human-influenced sources." Maybe we should also get rid of mexican food and white castle too.
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2007 04:35 PM by calvin12.)
10-15-2007 04:28 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
RobertN Wrote:
armour248 Wrote:I had this argument over the weekend and all I have to say is that Al Gore wasn't given the Nobel Peace Prize by a bunch of idiots. I'm sure whoever voted on the award is highly distinguished and very intelligent.
Of course they aren't idiots. I have heard many people wonder how this could be a peace prize winner when it doesn't have to do with peace. It makes sense that when climate in one area changes and can't support itself they would fight others that do have the resources to acquire them. Happens all the time. This would just be more widespread.

Unfortunately, the Noble Peace Prize has been highly politicized for many years now. Some Prizes, like Economics, tend to be very results oriented, but others awards, in my opinion are a bit suspect.
10-15-2007 08:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.