Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

I Root For: RU, SJU, UConn
Pitt vs. Navy - Please Post Your Comments Here
Wannstedt challenges frosh QB to produce 4 TDs vs. Navy
By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer
October 9, 2007

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Twenty-eight points.

That's the target number Pittsburgh coach Dave Wannstedt is giving freshman quarterback Pat Bostick for Wednesday night's game against Navy. To Wannstedt, anything short of 28 points probably won't be enough to outscore Navy's productive triple-option offense that loves to control the ball and frustrate opponents.

The challenge is a significant one for Bostick, who was playing Pennsylvania high school football at this time a year ago and has made only one college start, a 44-14 loss at Virginia on Sept. 29.

"We need to take a step forward," Wannstedt said. "In order for us to win this game, we're going to have to score 28 points and we're not going to do that totally on the ground. Pat has had some very good practices. I believe he is into it and knows what we're doing."

Bostick never figured to be in this position nearly halfway through a Pitt season that may be rapidly falling apart.

The freshman will be starting his first home game because junior starter Bill Stull injured a thumb in the season opener and isn't close to returning and redshirt freshman Kevan Smith played poorly in a 34-14 home-field loss to Connecticut.

Pitt badly needs a victory against Navy (3-2), if only to give some confidence to an offense that is relying on two freshmen, Bostick and running back LeSean McCoy (503 yards in five games) for most of its production.

The Panthers have yet to play the core of their Big East schedule -- No. 15 Cincinnati, Rutgers, Louisville, No. 5 South Florida and No. 8 West Virginia. With so many difficult games ahead, they could be headed for their worst season since they were 2-9 under Walt Harris in 1998.

Wannstedt, 13-15 in three seasons, said last week he still has the support of the administration. But the man who hired him in late 2004, former athletic director Jeff Long, left this month for Arkansas after not receiving a counteroffer from Pitt.

No wonder Pitt needs a turnaround in a hurry. The problem is Navy, which is coming off a 31-20 victory over Air Force, figures to be a difficult assignment because of its disciplined offense.

"We need to get back on track and we need this game to get to .500, and we'll go from there," Wannstedt said.

Wannstedt may be looking for some outside help in this one. Tony Dorsett and Curtis Martin, two of the top 10 leading rushers in NFL history, will attend the game and Wannstedt intends to have them speak to his players if possible.

Of course, Navy could do the same if it chooses with former star quarterback Roger Staubach, who, with Dorsett, will serve as honorary captains of the first Navy-Pitt game since 1989. The game is being played at midweek so it can be televised.

Navy is giving up a lot of points -- 157, or more than 30 per game. Rutgers, a 41-24 winner, and Duke, a 46-43 loser, both ran up more than 40 points against the Midshipmen.

That might provide some encouragement to the Panthers, but they've shown in their last two games they shouldn't be getting into high-scoring tilts while losing by 20 points to UConn and 30 to Virginia.

Navy quarterback Kaipo-Noa Kaheaku-Enhada is the key to the triple offense, an older style offense similar to that once run by Oklahoma and by West Virginia when Jim Carlen was the Mountaineers' coach in the 1960s.

Kaheaku-Enhada has run for 418 yards and seven touchdowns on a team that is No. 2 nationally in rushing and averages 348 yards. He has attempted 49 passes, or fewer than 10 per game, and has only two TD passes. Eric Kettani, the fullback, averages 6 yards per carry and has gained 318 yards.

"If we can't run the ball, we are going to be in real trouble," coach Paul Johnson said. "We aren't going to go in there and beat them by throwing the ball. Now, can we hit some big plays and supplement what we have to do? You hope so."

This article appeared on the Yahoo Sports website on Tuesday, October 9, 2007.
10-10-2007 12:50 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
RE: Pitt vs. Navy - Please Post Your Comments Here
It's an interesting approach by Wanny to publicly state how many points he thinks he needs to win a game. Coaches often beat around the bush, but normally aren't that direct. I'd love to see Pitt win one for the league, but it's tough to be optimistic that they'll pull a W out tonight.
10-10-2007 01:39 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
Panthers, Middies made memories in 1960s, '70s
Wednesday, October 10, 2007

By Bob Smizik, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The game tonight at Heinz Field between Pitt and Navy is on national cable television, but that doesn't mean the eyes of the nation are focused on it. Far from it, in fact. It's down-and-just-about-out Pitt against a Navy team that's always decent and always hard to play against, although maybe a little less so this season.

The Panthers have lost three in a row and desperately need this game, which -- let's not kid ourselves -- is on the schedule because Navy figured to be a team they could beat.

That's not necessarily so. The Midshipmen are 38-17 since 2002 under coach Paul Johnson, whose triple-option offense has enabled them to lead the nation in rushing for three of the past five seasons, including 327 yards a game last season. It's no secret Pitt has been, uh, susceptible to the run in recent seasons.

The series between the teams has been filled with games far more meaningful than this one.

The 1963 Pitt team, famous for being 9-1, ranked third in the country and not being invited to a bowl game, was 5-0 when it went to Annapolis on a Saturday in October to play Navy and junior quarterback Roger Staubach. Pitt had a lanky sophomore linebacker who went on to almost as much football fame as Staubach: Marty Schottenheimer.

To show how much the game has changed in 44 years, Pitt's two heaviest starters in this 24-12 loss, were its tackles, All-American Ernie Borghetti and John Maczuzak. They both weighed 235 pounds.

Navy frequently has been a problem for good Pitt teams. In 1975, when the Panthers were a year away from the national championship, Navy won, 17-0. In 1978, when Pitt was in the midst of a six-year run in which it posted a 62-9-1 record, Navy prevailed, 21-11.

But the most memorable game of the 35 played between the schools was a rout: Pitt 45, Navy 0 in 1976. This game, more than any other in this series, holds a place in football history and, for sure, a spot in the heart of any Pitt partisan.

One year after being shut out by the Middies, the Panthers came to Annapolis undefeated at 6-0 and, although there was no clear path at the time, on their way to the national championship. But on this Saturday afternoon in October, a more individual goal had captured their attention.

Tony Dorsett, their great running back who would win the Heisman Trophy that year, needed 152 yards to surpass Archie Griffin and became the NCAA's all-time major college leading rusher.

It was a typically brilliant performance for Dorsett, who had run for 148 yards on 26 carries as the game moved into the fourth quarter. He was 4 yards short of the record when he was approached by coach Johnny Majors.

"Coach said, 'Do you want to break it now or wait until next week at home,' " Dorsett said by telephone from his suburban Dallas home the other day.

"I said, 'Coach, I'm not guaranteed next week.' "

So Dorsett and the first team went back on the field. Quarterback Tom Yewcic, making his third consecutive start in place of injured Matt Cavanaugh, recalled the play: "It was Haw, option 9," said Yewcic, who represents parts of Cambria and Bedford counties in the Pennsylvania House of Representatives. "My job is to take the snap, sell the play as an option and make the guy on the end take me."

The end took Yewcic, who pitched the ball back to Dorsett who was on his way to a 32-yard touchdown run and the NCAA Division I record, which stood until 1998 when it was broken by Ricky Williams of Texas.

It was an emotional experience for Bill Hillgrove, then and now the voice of the Panthers.

"He got a pitch from Yewcic and he was gone," said Hillgrove. "As he hit the end zone, I lost it. I really lost it. I'm saying to myself, 'This is a once-in-a-lifetime athlete I'm watching.'

"If I ever needed help from [color analyst] John Sauer, it was then. But I look it him and he's got tears streaming down his cheeks.

"Then it got worse [emotionally]. The cannon goes off when he hits the end zone. They never fire the cannon for anyone but a Midshipman. It was total class. Then the whole brigade doffed their caps. Then Mr. and Mrs. Dorsett came out of the stands and, as they're walking toward Tony, the people are cheering them. It was special."

Dorsett, who in a stroke of genius by Pitt will be honorary captain tonight along with Staubach, also was taken by the moment.

"I'll never forget turning around in the end zone and before I knew it I was swamped and swamped by everybody. My teammates were all on top of me.

"But what was most memorable for me was that my mom and dad were there. They had always been my inspiration. The tribute by Navy of shooting off the cannon, that was nice, too."

Dorsett keeps busy with three daughters, 15, 9 and 4. The oldest plays basketball, the middle one soccer and the young one, Tony says, "Plans to be a rock star."

Dorsett said he hopes to speak to the Pitt team tonight.

"Maybe I could inspire them."

To do that, all he'd have to do is walk into the room.

First published on October 10, 2007 at 12:00 am
Bob Smizik can be reached at bsmizik@post-gazette.com.
10-10-2007 02:42 PM
Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

I Root For: RU, SJU, UConn
What a great article. Tony Dorsett was one of a kind and that must have been a truly awesome moment in college football history. I hope that all of the fans in attendance give him and Roger Staubauch the reception that they deserve tonight. Their accomplishments did so much to help football in both the NCAA and NFL evolve toward the status it holds today.
10-10-2007 03:30 PM
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
Pitt's Offense looks good tonight. Bostick looks like he has settled in.
10-10-2007 08:04 PM
WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC
Shannon Panther Wrote:Pitt's Offense looks good tonight. Bostick looks like he has settled in.

But Pitt's defense looks bad tonight. Wanny's prediction about needing 28 points to win is low. It looks like it's going to take a minimum of 35 points, maybe 42 for Pitt to win this game.
10-10-2007 08:19 PM
Advertisement

Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

Donators
WacoBearcat Wrote:
Shannon Panther Wrote:Pitt's Offense looks good tonight. Bostick looks like he has settled in.

But Pitt's defense looks bad tonight. Wanny's prediction about needing 28 points to win is low. It looks like it's going to take a minimum of 35 points, maybe 42 for Pitt to win this game.

As I predicted earlier. Rhoads has them in the base 4-3 and hasn't made any adjustments. If Wanny doesn't fire him after this year, you can add my voice to the chorus calling for Wanny's head.
10-10-2007 08:39 PM
WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

This is a fun game to watch. Hopefully the Panthers can pull this one out.
10-10-2007 08:47 PM
templefootballfan Online
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
I get disappointed when acadamies go into venue & don't get good crowds. These kids eventally end up in harms way. At least this country can do is support these kids.
10-10-2007 09:04 PM
WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

35-31 Navy late in the 3rd quarter.

This game may come down to the team that has the ball last.
10-10-2007 09:45 PM
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

Donators
Turnover = Game over
10-10-2007 09:46 PM
Advertisement

CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
templefootballfan Wrote:I get disappointed when acadamies go into venue & don't get good crowds. These kids eventally end up in harms way. At least this country can do is support these kids.

Comments like these are a no-win situation for schools like Pitt. If the fans show up and boo Navy and Pitt players trash talk with Navy then those fans are considered "classless". Yet Navy players and other academies want to be treated just like any other school yet people want them to be babied and treated special despite the kids NOT wanting to be treated that way. It's a no-win situation.
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2007 09:49 PM by CatsClaw.)
10-10-2007 09:47 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
I hope Pitt can hold on...there is NO defense in this game tonight. Fun for most fans to watch I guess, but I like seeing Defense!

Where are the fans????
10-10-2007 09:58 PM
WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

Shannon Panther Wrote:Turnover = Game over

Not so fast.

Now 38-35 Pitt.

Is this a football game or track meet?
10-10-2007 09:58 PM
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

Donators
Paul Rhodes is gawd awful as a D coordinator. He plays the same vanilla D no matter what.
10-10-2007 10:01 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
Last team to have the ball wins this one...
10-10-2007 10:07 PM
Advertisement

WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

38-38 with about 4 1/2 minutes left in the game.

Pitt has the ball.
10-10-2007 10:11 PM
Tigeer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UoM & WVU
CatsClaw Wrote:
templefootballfan Wrote:I get disappointed when acadamies go into venue & don't get good crowds. These kids eventally end up in harms way. At least this country can do is support these kids.

Comments like these are a no-win situation for schools like Pitt. If the fans show up and boo Navy and Pitt players trash talk with Navy then those fans are considered "classless". Yet Navy players and other academies want to be treated just like any other school yet people want them to be babied and treated special despite the kids NOT wanting to be treated that way. It's a no-win situation.

I'm with ya but I personally find it hard to root against the academies.
10-10-2007 10:13 PM
Tigeer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UoM & WVU
That was a clutch play.
10-10-2007 10:16 PM
WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

Gutsy call by Wanny.
10-10-2007 10:16 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.