KEG OF NAILS!!!!!!!!
Sold Out Nippert Stadium
UC on a win streak
Rivalry
Homecoming at UC
Keg of Nails

What more could ya want!!?!?!?!?!?

UofL: Bring it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Should be a great game....lot's of scoring!

Go Cats!
10-08-2007 11:04 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

CardHouse Offline
1st String

I Root For: UofL
RE: KEG OF NAILS!!!!!!!!
Two years ago we forgot to bring The Keg 03-shhhh and had to send someone back to Louisville for it; wasted trip as The Keg stayed with The Ville. I'm sure we'll remember to bring it this year. 03-melodramatic

EDITED: On second thought I think we called an UofL employee who was not going to the game and had them road-trip The Keg up to Cincy; I can't remember if it made it there before kickoff or not.

I wonder if the teams remember the recapturing of The Keg tradition that was last done four years ago. It started in 02' when we lost in Cincy and the second after the game ended the Cincy players ran over to the UofL sideline, grabbed it, and started parading it. 03-lmfao

Then the next year in The Ville, UofL won and did the same thing (ran over to the Cincy sideline); not exactly your normal formal handing-over ceremony. 03-lmfao

.....UofL also won the three games after that, so The Keg hasn't changed hands in a while.
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2007 08:15 PM by CardHouse.)
10-10-2007 05:57 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
I think it's great that the players grab the keg and show their fans the symbol of supremacy. The game is for the fans, after all.
10-10-2007 06:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
subflea Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Free Thinking

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
Minnesota and Michigan do the same thing for the Little Brown Jug. It is one of the greatest things to watch an entiire team sprint to the opposing sideline and take a trophy back. Hopefully we get to see UC take it back what is ours.

Oh yeah,

Series Record...........................................................................................Cincinnati leads 26-19-1.

Some other interesting facts:

Louisville records indicate one more victory in the UC-UofL
series. Louisville was scheduled to play Transylvania on Nov.
4, 1922 but the Lexington school canceled the week prior to
the contest. Cincinnati was scheduled to play West Virginia
on that date. Trying to help the Cardinals out of their plight,
UC sent a “team of second-liners” to play Louisville. UofL defeated
the UC reserves, 28-0. Since this was a game against
outside competition, Louisville is correct in counting it in its
records. But, since it is not a varsity game for UC, Cincinnati
is correct in not recognizing it in its records.

Little is actually known about the origins of the keg, which was first given to the victor of the Louisville/Cincinnati game when the teams played for the first time in 1929. The keg, a replica of the wooden barrels used to ship nails to constructions sites, is believed to have been initiated by fraternity chapters on each campus signifying that the winning players were "tough as nails."

All I know is that it is the baddest trophy in college football. Why? Because it is a M-----F----n' Keg of Nails, that's why.
10-10-2007 07:20 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
How cool will it be IF UC wins the game in front of the sold out Nippert and gets to rush to UofL's sideline and grab the Keg!?!?!?!?!

I can't wait!
10-10-2007 10:01 PM
Advertisement

CardHouse Offline
1st String

bitcruncher Wrote:I think it's great that the players grab the keg and show their fans the symbol of supremacy. The game is for the fans, after all.
Since it only happened a couple of times with UofL-Cincy, and hasn't happened in a while, I just don't know if a tradition has been established or rather it was just one of those things back then.

......very few players from either team were around when it was last done.
10-12-2007 06:46 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
UC does the running to the sideline for the Bell as well (prize against Miami of Ohio). Of course, they didn't have to do it this year, they have won 2 years in a row now.
10-12-2007 07:43 PM
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
mlb Wrote:UC does the running to the sideline for the Bell as well (prize against Miami of Ohio). Of course, they didn't have to do it this year, they have won 2 years in a row now.

I don't think we'll see anyone running for the bell in a very long time.
10-12-2007 08:27 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Probably not. But the fight for the Keg of Nails is heating up nicely. 05-mafia
10-13-2007 01:16 PM
Advertisement

CardFan636 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: "TBCSTIA"
Good luck today, Bearcats. I'm fired up about the sellout at Nippert and I expect an exciting game. The Cards are down but not out, no matter what some may say.

I'm impressed with both the coaching and PR job Kelly has done so far.
10-13-2007 01:29 PM
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
Good luck to you also CardFan. Even though you guys are struggling playing any team that has Brohm and Douglas scares the crap out of me. I expect a very close game and hopefully our home crowd makes the difference.
10-13-2007 02:20 PM
Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

I Root For: RU, SJU, UConn
Neither team is playing much defense in the early stages of the game. Cincinnati just went ahead 14-7 as the first quarter draws to a close.
10-13-2007 06:50 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Did you really expect defense with these offenses?
10-13-2007 07:08 PM
Advertisement

Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

I Root For: RU, SJU, UConn
Louisville ties the score at 14-14 just before halftime. What started off looking like it would be an offensive shootout actually did turn into a defensive slugfest for most of the first period. Very interesting. It should end up being a heck of an enjoyable second half if current trends carry over after the intermission.
10-13-2007 07:40 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

A tie at the half means another good BEast battle. The only kind to have if you want TV ratings. 04-rock
10-13-2007 07:56 PM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I enjoyed the game in Nippert, and the stadium atmosphere was great.

Regarding the logistics though.... was Nippert ever expanded seating wise without expanding the number of bathrooms but more importantly the width of the concourses? I've been to many a sporting event in much bigger venues, but Nippert took the cake in terms of a fire hazard.

I made the mistake of trying to cross over the walkway over the open end zone side to get to my seats in Section 101. Wow! It took 15 minutes to walk the width of the end zone, and the people were jammed in so tight I saw UC fans starting to fight and push each other out of frustration. I know UC doesn't have 35,000 there for most games but it's not currently set to accomodate that many.

How would any possible future expansion work in relation to its tight campus location?
10-15-2007 03:35 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
CollegeCard Wrote:How would any possible future expansion work in relation to its tight campus location?

I don't think anybody knows. I saw the steady stream of UofL fans in the area you are talking about.

UC has been trying to get people to head into to the stadium at least 1/2 hour before the game starts, but that's probably not enough. We were in our seats 45 minutes before kickoff.

UC is going to have to figure out how to remove the existing old concessions and restrooms on the visitor side and put new ones somewhere else.

There have been many discussions among UC fans on how to expand but being the amateur architects that we are, I don't think anyone has figured out what to do about the Nippert infrastructure.

I'm beginning to think it may take a complete demolition of the stadium, then rebuild a new one on the site. Where the money for that will come from is anyone's guess.

If UC keeps improving and getting bigger crowds they may be forced to play at Paul Brown Stadium. At least then a home town team can win it it, so that's not so bad.
10-15-2007 03:41 PM
Advertisement

CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

Thanks for the response. I forgot about one other inquiry I had. Due to my seats near the corner where UC entered and exited the field, I noticed something I found unusual. Do UC fans know what the deal is with the Bearcat team members splitting up into different locations during halftime?

As UC was walking off the field, some players walked up the steps into the corner, going out of sight. The refs followed them in this direction. However, some UC players took a quick left after leaving the field and there they split into even smaller groups. Some guys went through double doors under the end zone seating, and others still went through an open garage door that was closed once all the players entered and trainers had brought them water. They were all sitting on folding chairs, but I had never seen a team split into 3 distinct groups during halftime where they are physically separated from each other. I didn't notice where the coaches went, but either way a solid group of players were not with the HC. What's the story there?
10-15-2007 03:49 PM
Bearcat T Offline
All American

I Root For:
There will be a change next season. The home side will not be the pressbox side anymore. This will give more good seats to the UC fans the other team will get the northwest corner.
10-15-2007 04:09 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
CollegeCard Wrote:Do UC fans know what the deal is with the Bearcat team members splitting up into different locations during halftime?

One group goes to the room where the closed circuit tv and audio feeds from the visitors locker room get piped in. 02-13-banana

Seriously - maybe some are going to a medical room for treatment? I really don't know.
10-15-2007 06:06 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.