Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

HeraldNews-Jones case is telling
Bookmark and Share
NIUHuskie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
HeraldNews-Jones case is telling
The Herald News: Jones case is telling
Quote:And, of course, that was before even the most rabid Huskie fans dared to call Northern Illinois Chicago's team. Give gentleman Joe Novak credit for the rise of NIU's program. He is the hard-working coach who sent Ryan Diem, Michael "The Burner" Turner, Garrett Wolfe and others to the NFL while building a program envied by wannabes everywhere.
09-20-2007 10:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Huskie359 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU & SOX
RE: HeraldNews-Jones case is telling
I also found this quote to be very telling....

Quote: Northern has become a perennial contender for MAC West honors and postseason play, its current 0-3 start more the result of a couple of uncharacteristic late-game collapses than a disturbing trend.
09-20-2007 11:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cyberdawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
It HAS been disturbing.

We have yet to learn if it's a trend.

I still ask an earlier Q. of mine: How is DJones' year @ NIU to be paid for?

family?

friends?

anonymous sources?

ministers?

BevPark community leaders pissed at ND & Weiss for not releasing Jones?

Think about if from perspective of ND.
Why NOT realease him and issue a scholarship to a walk on in need - if any on roster?

I have yet to comprehend what's in it for ND, Weiss or his football team ?

I would suspect a few players might want an explanation of what is driving the decision other than it has handled less than ideally. Is the nonrelease simply a disciplne strategy to teach other ND players considering "likeweiss" to first confide directly with the head coach before making a decision to transfer?

Perhaps pro coaches without college coaching experience do not always make time for mentoring /communicating regularly with younger players.

Shula @Bama comes to mind.
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2007 06:27 PM by cyberdawg.)
09-20-2007 11:46 AM
cawoo22 Offline
Northern Yankee Prick

I Root For: The NIU Huskies
I personally think (and have zero evidence to back it up) that the refusal to release Jones has everything to do with wounded pride. Particularly, the wounded pride of the boosters and donors to whom it is unthinkable that anyone would want to be anywhere other than under the Golden Dome. To them, being a scout team quarterback for ND is infinitely more desirable than playing for some directional school in a cornfield. Kevin White has to answer to them, so he made a petty, mean-spirited decision.

ND is circling the wagons right now. The last thing they'll ever admit is that they're just another university and, more importantly, just another football team.

Think about it. Has Notre Dame football ever had a worse weekend than September 14th, 15th, and 16th, 2007?
09-20-2007 12:08 PM
TheNEWguy Offline
Banned

cawoo22 Wrote:Think about it. Has Notre Dame football ever had a worse weekend than September 14th, 15th, and 16th, 2007?

Great Point!

I wonder where all of Notre Dames talented recruits are. They have REAL BAD skill players. Clausen looks like he could be pretty good, but if you can't throw or hand it to anyone he is going to be beat up for 4 years. I'm glad they have Ron Pawlus coaching him, the most over hyped recruit of all time coaching another over hyped player!

Brilliant! 04-cheers
09-20-2007 01:10 PM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

Benn plays for U fo I.
09-20-2007 01:14 PM
Advertisement

7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

Huskie359 Wrote:I also found this quote to be very telling....

Quote: Northern has become a perennial contender for MAC West honors and postseason play, its current 0-3 start more the result of a couple of uncharacteristic late-game collapses than a disturbing trend.
And that quote is very telling.

If NIU makes 1 more play vs. SIU (or 1 less pick 6) and 1 more play vs. EMU (the Britt dropped TD or the "blocked" kick) we are sitting here at 2-1 right now.

This team is not 0-3 bad.
09-20-2007 01:20 PM
DiehardHuskie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Hard Way
ND jerked around DJ and he stuck it back to 'em and they can't deal with it. The longer this drags on, the worse the PR fall out will be for ND (which is OK by me).
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2007 02:27 PM by DiehardHuskie.)
09-20-2007 02:25 PM
gcd Offline
All American

I Root For:
Charlie Weiss won his first two years with Tyrine Willingham's players and a qb Brady Quinn. Now in his 3rd yr, Weiss has 3 of his classes in and is getting his ass kicked. ND wants to blame Willingham, but I still predict that Weiss will resign for health reasons
09-20-2007 03:00 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

gcd Wrote:Charlie Weiss won his first two years with Tyrine Willingham's players and a qb Brady Quinn. Now in his 3rd yr, Weiss has 3 of his classes in and is getting his ass kicked. ND wants to blame Willingham, but I still predict that Weiss will resign for health reasons
No doubt. 3 years is plenty of time to get your own players in there and improve your football team.

See also: Zook, Ron
09-20-2007 03:09 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
7 Wrote:
gcd Wrote:Charlie Weiss won his first two years with Tyrine Willingham's players and a qb Brady Quinn. Now in his 3rd yr, Weiss has 3 of his classes in and is getting his ass kicked. ND wants to blame Willingham, but I still predict that Weiss will resign for health reasons
No doubt. 3 years is plenty of time to get your own players in there and improve your football team.

I think Zook should also resign, he has been there long enough where Illinois should be better, but certainly no signs of any significant improvement from the Illini.
09-20-2007 06:00 PM
Advertisement

7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

MaddDawgz02 Wrote:
7 Wrote:

I think Zook should also resign, he has been there long enough where Illinois should be better, but certainly no signs of any significant improvement from the Illini.
Uh, what?

Illinois has already matched their win total from 3 of the last 4 seasons, they sit at 2-1, and probably will end up in a bowl this year.

Illinois is 2-1 in 2007, and would probably be 3-0 if Juice doesn't get hurt vs. Missouri. Not sure how they should be "significantly" better.
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2007 06:05 PM by 7.)
09-20-2007 06:05 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

7 Wrote:
MaddDawgz02 Wrote:
7 Wrote:

Uh, what?

Illinois has already matched their win total from 3 of the last 4 seasons, they sit at 2-1, and probably will end up in a bowl this year.

Illinois is 2-1 in 2007, and would probably be 3-0 if Juice doesn't get hurt vs. Missouri. Not sure how they should be "significantly" better.

They have to beat someone better than WIU, WIU is probably the best team they have beaten so far.
09-20-2007 06:07 PM
niu79 Offline
All American

7 Wrote:

Should be an interesting game between Illinois and Indiana this Saturday. I like the Hoosiers to win, only because a good chunk of my income flows to Bloomington in the form of my kid's tuition.
09-20-2007 06:18 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

niu79 Wrote:
7 Wrote:

Should be an interesting game between Illinois and Indiana this Saturday. I like the Hoosiers to win, only because a good chunk of my income flows to Bloomington in the form of my kid's tuition.

Interesting only because it should be a close game. Both teams are really really really bad, so if you are looking for good football this would not be the game to watch.
09-20-2007 06:27 PM
dynovinyl Offline
Heisman

03-lmfao Dude, you fell for it again.
09-20-2007 06:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cyberdawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Your reason is MORE than good enuff.
09-20-2007 06:30 PM
sterling1man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Magnificent story!
NIU is the Bomb!
Novak is the Bomb!
Jones is the Bomb!

Looks like NIU's investment in inner city Chicago and minorities is beginning to pay handsome dividends. Jones is a man of integrity. Who would want to be a lacky for a QB from Notre Dame?
The preppy school where the racist father Charlie Coughlin has his infamous archives!!
Congratulations D.J., your vote for NIU will pay handsomely!!
We applaud your integrity, ambition and belief in yourself and our program.

NIU has sent many players to the Pro's. We had 12 at the beginning of the season in the NFL. Hopefully you will be NIU's greatist player.

Although we are 0-3 it has never been a better time to be a Huskie!!!
09-20-2007 06:44 PM
niu79 Offline
All American

MaddDawgz02 Wrote:
niu79 Wrote:
7 Wrote:

Interesting only because it should be a close game. Both teams are really really really bad, so if you are looking for good football this would not be the game to watch.

MD, you are way too funny!

One very, very, very lousy team is 3-0, and the other very, very, very lousy team is 2-1.
09-20-2007 07:23 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

I wish NIU was a sucky 3-0.

I wish we were a sucky 2-1 with wins over a 1-aa team and a bottom 10 team.
09-20-2007 07:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.