Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Another BE Rumor
TexanMark Online
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Another BE Rumor
Syracuse HC Emeritus Dick McPherson mentioned Navy joining the Big East as a Football only on his radio show--you can read more here

I don't have access to hear his broadcast to get a good take but it does sound plausible (despite Navy's comments over the summer)--Coach McPherson is still closely connected to the Football Scene in Syracuse and works on the Cuse's gameday radio broadcast team.
09-07-2007 01:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: West Virginia
RE: Another BE Rumor
If Navy were to join it would result in some scheduling shakeups, as I believe WVU is set for the next several years.
09-07-2007 01:47 PM
Find all posts by this user
zibby Offline
All American

I Root For:
I can't believe Navy would do this. They've been using smoke and mirrors to get the good pub and bowl games they've been getting the last few years. Here's who Navy has beaten the last four years:

2006 - East Carolina, UMass, Stanford, UConn, Air Force, Duke, Eastern Michigan, Temple, Army

2005 - Duke, Air Force, Kent State, Rice, Tulane, Temple, Army, Colorado State

2004 - Duke, Northeastern, Tulsa, Vanderbilt, Air Force, Rice, Delaware, Rutgers, Army, New Mexico

2003 - VMI, Eastern Michigan, Air Force, Vanderbilt, Rice, Tulane, Central Michigan, Army

I don't see any Louisvilles or WFVUs on that list and last year Rutgers curbstomped Navy. If they were in the BE this year, they'd finish eighth.

Doesn't Navy have a TV deal with CSTV? I can't believe they would give up that so they can appear on ESPN Regional once or twice and finish at the bottom of the BE.
09-07-2007 01:59 PM
TexanMark Online
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
I would assume it wouldn't be before 2009 at the earliest.
09-07-2007 02:00 PM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
Zibby, I agree with your premise. I would add in their bowl win from last December, as I think beating BC was their most impressive win over that span. You're right overall though. They go for the weakest schedule possible to get bowl eligible, knowing their bowl draw.

There is nothing wrong with their approach, but people should realize it for what it is. Most Navy wins are over poor teams. Paul Johnson has said as much himself recently with his comments about conference affliation for Navy. That isn't to say they won't join the BE ever, but he realizes the step up it would be himself over 12 indy games of their choosing.
09-07-2007 02:17 PM
wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

zibby Wrote:I can't believe Navy would do this. They've been using smoke and mirrors to get the good pub and bowl games they've been getting the last few years. Here's who Navy has beaten the last four years:

2006 - East Carolina, UMass, Stanford, UConn, Air Force, Duke, Eastern Michigan, Temple, Army

2005 - Duke, Air Force, Kent State, Rice, Tulane, Temple, Army, Colorado State

2004 - Duke, Northeastern, Tulsa, Vanderbilt, Air Force, Rice, Delaware, Rutgers, Army, New Mexico

2003 - VMI, Eastern Michigan, Air Force, Vanderbilt, Rice, Tulane, Central Michigan, Army

I don't see any Louisvilles or WFVUs on that list and last year Rutgers curbstomped Navy. If they were in the BE this year, they'd finish eighth.

Doesn't Navy have a TV deal with CSTV? I can't believe they would give up that so they can appear on ESPN Regional once or twice and finish at the bottom of the BE.

excellent point. I'd never paid attention before to how much Navy was feasting on poor competition, but they certainly are. Shrewd move on their part, it's certainly paid off.
09-07-2007 02:33 PM
Advertisement

Brick City Pirate Offline
All American

I Root For:
CollegeCard, Navy lost to BC by a last seconf field goal in their bowl game.
09-07-2007 02:43 PM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
Brick City Pirate Wrote:CollegeCard, Navy lost to BC by a last seconf field goal in their bowl game.

Where's my dunce cap? Thanks for the correction, I forgot they lost that game after that bad fumble while trying to run the clock out. Well, that WOULD have been a nice win for them!
09-07-2007 02:54 PM
SoCalPanther Offline
All American

I Root For: Pitt RPI
For full membership? That's interesting........I mean, I can see Navy wanting to schedule 4 games a year against BE teams, leaving 5 games open (as 3 games would be Army, Air Force, and ND) to schedule who they want. Also, if ND would bump up the number of BE games from 3 to 4, that would be nice. However, IMO, Navy would want to play the same teams that ND wants - ie Pitt, RU, SU, and UConn.

Anyway, would be interesting if they joined for Full Membership.
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2007 03:10 PM by SoCalPanther.)
09-07-2007 03:08 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
Here comes TSII in 1,2, 3 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao
09-07-2007 04:09 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
Navy would be a good addition ONLY if they joined fulltime, or they played a partial schedule with Notre Dame, with Notre Dame playing certain Big East schools one year and Navy playing other Big East schools that year and then vice versa each year. Otherwise it's just a waste of time and we don't need them.
09-07-2007 04:45 PM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I still say if anyone joins The BEast it should be for all sports or not at all.
09-07-2007 05:29 PM
SO#1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Connecticut
CatsClaw Wrote:Navy would be a good addition ONLY if they joined fulltime, or they played a partial schedule with Notre Dame, with Notre Dame playing certain Big East schools one year and Navy playing other Big East schools that year and then vice versa each year. Otherwise it's just a waste of time and we don't need them.

Good ideal but what kind of incentive are you willing to offer them for such an arrangement?
09-07-2007 06:37 PM
esayem Online
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
Look at their schedule, it's obvious they want to play a national schedule rather than 8 Big East games and Army, Air Force, Notre Dame plus one rotating team every year. They will remain Patriot/Independant, playing a partial Big East schedule doesn't help anybody.

UMass is who the Big East should be courting for "all" sports and Holy Cross for everything but football. Ideally, Villanova should spend some money for great returns.
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2007 07:10 PM by esayem.)
09-07-2007 07:07 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
esayem Wrote:Look at their schedule, it's obvious they want to play a national schedule rather than 8 Big East games and Army, Air Force, Notre Dame plus one rotating team every year. They will remain Patriot/Independant, playing a partial Big East schedule doesn't help anybody.

UMass is who the Big East should be courting for "all" sports and Holy Cross for everything but football. Ideally, Villanova should spend some money for great returns.

Why would the Big East want Holy Cross?
09-07-2007 08:00 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
I would welcome Navy into the BE. I'm pretty sure the major issue that is pushing them into this direction is the lack of bowls or choice of bowls that are available to them now.

Jackson
09-07-2007 09:01 PM
Advertisement

tigersharktwo
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
yes wilky I must of planted this story in syracuse.
09-07-2007 09:38 PM
TRest Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UConn
Mark, without checking your link isn't it possible Mac was just spouting old conventional wisdom that has already been shot down? Your board is always posting that he seems a bit out of it now on the radio game broadcasts.
09-07-2007 09:52 PM
esayem Online
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
Because Holy Cross is better than Seton Hall, Rutgers, USF, Providence, and St. John's. They have a solid program, many eastern teams are scared to play them, plus they can host marquee home games at the DCU Center. The only problem: Holy Cross rejected a Big East invite when the conference was formed. They then deemphasized athletics, dropping their football program to 1-AA in the early 80's.
09-07-2007 09:54 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
I think adding Navy football only would be a good move for both the Midshipman and the Big East.

For Navy:

1. Playing in a BCS conference can only help recruiting.

2. Money from TV in the Big East football conference would be hard to turn down.

3. Gate receipts would be helped immensely by playing a Big East schedule.

For Big East:

1. 9th school to make scheduling oh so much easier.

2. In adjacent state Maryland to further strengthen the Big East football brand in the North East.

3. Will help nicely with bowl opportunities.

4. Perfectly comfortable long term with a football only membership.
09-07-2007 10:28 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.