Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Why did you leave Memphis?
Bookmark and Share
ByrdDogX Offline
Mmmmm, Bacon.

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS
Why did you leave Memphis?
Just curious as I keep hearing about the exodus of people leaving the city of Memphis. If you left Memphis, why?

Personally, I moved to Olive Branch about a year and a half ago after living in midtown the majority of my life. Mostly because of the school systems and the fact that I have young children and couldn't put them in private schools. I still consider Memphis home, but things have changed over the last 15 years or so. Can you name one thing besides the Zoo, Sporting Event or Childrens Museum, that a parent from out of town would want to bring their kid to see here? No amusement parks, no Adventure Rivers, No Wonders exhibits, No family anything.

So - if you left why?
09-06-2007 11:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

memphodude Offline
1st String

I Root For: TIGER VIC-TO-RY
RE: Why did you leave Memphis?
The wife and I wanted a new construction house. Plus we lived in east memphis and were sick of the 'boom, boom,boom' of the bass systems we always heard.
We refused to live in Cordova.
We looked at bartlett, arlington, yada yada yada...but we agreed that the drive from arlington to anywhere in Memphis is SO laborious that it's not worth it. Plus all our shopping would be in cordova/wolfchase anyhow.
Also, when we looked at what you could get for the price in Southaven we started researching the area, COL, etc and it was an easy decision.
Southaven has been improving their profile. We love how much quieter it is, that our taxes aren't going to the MCS, and that racial politics in memphis ain't our problem anymore.
It's a 20-25min drive to work on a real interstate that just widened to 4 lanes, with no stop/go redlights. There's no 40/240 clog ups, no sam cooper issues.
It's been great. Cya Willie!
09-06-2007 12:06 PM
aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
Have you ever been to austin before? if so, then compare the cities. cost of living is the same+no crime+more jobs=yea to austin.
09-06-2007 02:59 PM
ByrdDogX Offline
Mmmmm, Bacon.

I felt safety was a big issue and in Memphis it has become immune to the whole process. Murders are the norm, drug bust are too far between and the political strife is a waste of everyones efforts. Its really sad that the city's interest are not at hand....
09-06-2007 04:00 PM
dan o Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
Surely, this is a rhetorical question.
09-06-2007 04:38 PM
tigergreen Offline

I Root For: MEMPHIS
ByrdDogX Wrote:Its really sad that the city's interest are not at hand....

the more people who leave memphis, the less the chances get of that ever happening.
09-06-2007 05:13 PM
Advertisement

Derby Offline
tigris rex

I Root For: Memphis

DonatorsSkunkworksCrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
I left Memphis when the company I worked for relocated to Colorado in 1995. I lived and worked there for 7 years. Now I live and work in Connecticut.
09-07-2007 06:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JTiger Offline
Grand Master Sexaaayyyy

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
I lived in Memphis for 10 years of my adult life then moved to Germantown. The main reason was we could get more house for the money in Germantown compared to Memphis and not have to pay for private school for my kids. The extended commute sucks but it's a small price to pay for a nice house in a nice neighborhood.
09-07-2007 07:52 AM
kabluey Offline
Heisman

ByrdDogX Wrote:I felt safety was a big issue and in Memphis it has become immune to the whole process. Murders are the norm, drug bust are too far between and the political strife is a waste of everyones efforts. Its really sad that the city's interest are not at hand....

Sorry for my ignorance, but what does the phrase "city's interest are not at hand" mean?

And the topic seems to be actually 2-fold. 1) did people leave the city for the burbs and why?; and 2) did people leave the metro/region and why?. Because, in actuality, those under category 1 didn't leave metro Memphis.

For me, I left for a job. I'm looking for an opportunity to return. I've been gone for 5 years and I return every opportunity I can. Memphis the region and the city are great, there's certainly things to improve upon, but they're improvable, and they're not unique to Memphis. Just need people with backbone, vision, will, and an ability and personality that isn't confrontational in an alienating fashion. Surely Memphis and its residents deserve that.
09-07-2007 08:13 AM
tigergreen Offline

kabluey Wrote:Memphis the region and the city are great, there's certainly things to improve upon, but they're improvable, and they're not unique to Memphis. Just need people with backbone, vision, will, and an ability and personality that isn't confrontational in an alienating fashion. Surely Memphis and its residents deserve that.

very well said.
09-07-2007 09:17 AM
HHammerhead Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Football

Donators
I only lived in Memphis while I was in school there. I love the area and have many fond memories. I still have lots of friends there. I was from the Norfolk area before I moved to Memphis and I moved back here after graduation. I was able to get a job in my field here and wasn't well connected enough to get a comparable job in Memphis at the time.

My wife and I have dreamed about moving back, but it certainly wouldn't be the same! Places change, people grow up... it's hard to relive your college years.

I see what everyone else is going through. Either you live in Memphis proper, put up with the BS politics and send your kids to private school; or you live out in the suburbs and deal with the commute or disconnect yourself from the "big city". If I lived there, my choice would be to live in town and deal with the issues that go along with it.

I live five minutes from downtown here in Norfolk and we love it. There are so many good things going on for our family I don't think we'd ever move. We have a great church, my kids go to public schools (and they're great), crime is minimal and public services are good and easy to use.

I'd love to see Memphis get to where it's a GREAT place to live. There's a long way to go, but with the right leadership Memphis can get there.
09-07-2007 09:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ByrdDogX Offline
Mmmmm, Bacon.

Quote:Sorry for my ignorance, but what does the phrase "city's interest are not at hand" mean?

Instead of the city (politicians) focusing on its residents and needs, we have political corruption, race, and MLGW to name a few - It's an embarrassment. We have an arrogant mayor that says he's not worried about the people leaving Memphis, and to me thats the wrong position to take. Since the last census, the Memphis population has decreased and the only reason it isn't worse is because they have annexed. We have a mayor whose campaign slogan is 'Shake the haters off'...and refuses to debate other candidates. The best thing that could happen to Memphis is WW gets ousted...

Don't get me wrong, I still love Memphis and the people here, but we aren't progressing as a city, we are regressing as a civilization. There is no sense of unity, unless the Tigers are playing 03-cloud9, and there needs to be.

I hear people every week saying they are moving to the outskirts, I was just curious as to why and that is why I started the thread.

Peace!
09-07-2007 09:49 AM
SMUTiger
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
The first question I would ask is what you define as Memphis. Are we talking solely corporate limits, or greater metro area. I currently do not live in Memphis, but I consider myself a Memphian.

I left Memphis after high school for college and grad school. Once my wife and I were able, we moved back to the area. Now, I don't live "in" Memphis, but I am a Memphian. My neighborhood is in the Memphis annexation corridor and will become part of the city, probably by 2010. I know Memphis has its problems, but from a cost of living perspective it is hard to beat, though my kids (like me) will be going to private school.

In sum, I left Memphis to earn the education I felt necessary to become a better Memphian. Now, I'm back, and there is only one other place I would consider living (and I'll probably retire there).
09-07-2007 10:06 AM
Quote this message in a reply
tigergreen Offline

ByrdDogX Wrote:
Quote:Sorry for my ignorance, but what does the phrase "city's interest are not at hand" mean?

Instead of the city (politicians) focusing on its residents and needs, we have political corruption, race, and MLGW to name a few - It's an embarrassment. We have an arrogant mayor that says he's not worried about the people leaving Memphis, and to me thats the wrong position to take. Since the last census, the Memphis population has decreased and the only reason it isn't worse is because they have annexed. We have a mayor whose campaign slogan is 'Shake the haters off'...and refuses to debate other candidates. The best thing that could happen to Memphis is WW gets ousted...

Don't get me wrong, I still love Memphis and the people here, but we aren't progressing as a city, we are regressing as a civilization. There is no sense of unity, unless the Tigers are playing 03-cloud9, and there needs to be.

I hear people every week saying they are moving to the outskirts, I was just curious as to why and that is why I started the thread.

Peace!

this year's election is going to be a serious "make or break" for the city, imo....ANYONE AND EVERYONE who lives within the city limits needs to get out and VOTE - ask yourself, "are you and your neighborhood better off than you were 5, 6, 7 years ago? 10 years ago?" our mayor & city council has stayed too long at the party - it's time to clean house.

i know i'm 05-deadhorse, but if a percentage of the people who have moved out to the outlying area 10 years ago had stayed, gotten involved & been able to vote in past elections, memphis could have already been in the middle of making turns for the better.
09-07-2007 10:13 AM
ByrdDogX Offline
Mmmmm, Bacon.

tigergreen Wrote:
ByrdDogX Wrote:

Peace!

this year's election is going to be a serious "make or break" for the city, imo....ANYONE AND EVERYONE who lives within the city limits needs to get out and VOTE - ask yourself, "are you and your neighborhood better off than you were 5, 6, 7 years ago? 10 years ago?" our mayor & city council has stayed too long at the party - it's time to clean house.

i know i'm 05-deadhorse, but if a percentage of the people who have moved out to the outlying area 10 years ago had stayed, gotten involved & been able to vote in past elections, memphis could have already been in the middle of making turns for the better.

I couldn't agree more and almost posted that same statement. Like any community, you have to get involved and stayed involved....but most people feel anything they do will not make a difference, but it can. That's what I meant about unity....everyone needs to get involved. You need to vote and get involved in your area and get others involved.

With one single vote, people hold their future in their hand - but rarely exercise this power.
09-07-2007 10:22 AM
tigergreen Offline

ByrdDogX Wrote:I couldn't agree more and almost posted that same statement. Like any community, you have to get involved and stayed involved....but most people feel anything they do will not make a difference, but it can. That's what I meant about unity....everyone needs to get involved. You need to vote and get involved in your area and get others involved.

With one single vote, people hold their future in their hand - but rarely exercise this power.

absolutely!
but yet, you just moved to olive branch...

05-duck
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2007 10:28 AM by tigergreen.)
09-07-2007 10:28 AM
Advertisement

ByrdDogX Offline
Mmmmm, Bacon.

tigergreen Wrote:
ByrdDogX Wrote:I couldn't agree more and almost posted that same statement. Like any community, you have to get involved and stayed involved....but most people feel anything they do will not make a difference, but it can. That's what I meant about unity....everyone needs to get involved. You need to vote and get involved in your area and get others involved.

absolutely!
but yet, you just moved to olive branch...

05-duck

I know....if it weren't for my kids and school, I would probably still be there. Their education and safety comes before ANYTHING and something told me that they would probably graduate before the schools could have an impact on anything I could ever do. However, if the Tigers are looking for a strong-armed intelligent QB in about 9 years - I have one in the grooming.
09-07-2007 11:02 AM
Hernando Hills Tiger Offline
High score: 819 (credit)

I Root For: USA

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
I left Memphis to realize my dream of marrying a woman whose income was double mine. She lived in a fancy condo with a cement pond while I lived on the outskirts of Orange Mound.
09-08-2007 05:51 AM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
I could not find a job in Memphis upon graduation from Memphis State (as it was known in the old days). I found employment in Nashville and I pulled up the stakes and moved.
09-08-2007 07:28 AM
kabluey Offline
Heisman

ByrdDogX Wrote:

Peace!

Thanks, the phrase seemed grammatically awkward to me.
09-08-2007 02:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.