Folding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
NEW iPODS!!!
New Shuffle Colors!
Nanos with VIDEO!!!
Classics get a MEGA-upgrade!!!
iPOD TOUCH!!!

http://www.apple.com
09-05-2007 03:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TMcCarty Offline
Maximus Decimus Meridius

I Root For: UAB
Folding@NCAAbbs
RE: NEW iPODS!!!
Did you just have an iOrgasm?
09-05-2007 05:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UABslant Offline

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
The iPod Touch is an iPhone without the phone. I guess if you don't want to carry your laptop to the coffee shop and don't want a new cell phone, I could see the value of the iTouch. I'm sure Steve Jobs will tell us how it'll change our world.
09-05-2007 05:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

Yeah but screw Steve for screwing those of us who paid full price for an iPhone. I'll get over it, but I'm kind of steamed over that move...
09-05-2007 05:34 PM
Grammar-Nazi Offline
Grammar police

Folding@NCAAbbs
Well, I, for one, am glad I didn't buy an iPhone in June. Now, I'll definitely get one for Christmas.
09-05-2007 07:33 PM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

Schard Wrote:The iPod Touch is an iPhone without the phone. I guess if you don't want to carry your laptop to the coffee shop and don't want a new cell phone, I could see the value of the iTouch. I'm sure Steve Jobs will tell us how it'll change our world.

Well, it's really just a souped up iPod nano with the new interface. If you like the old style iPod, they're still around. And the iPod touch is missing e-mail currently, but of course it has a web browser (for webmail) and I am willing to bet someone will hack one in there in short order.
09-05-2007 09:59 PM
Advertisement

LightEmUp70 Offline
Debt Free

Well, I'm still waiting for their new vacuum cleaner to come out...the iSuck.
09-05-2007 10:25 PM
BlazerFromMD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, USNA
Nice. I like the "Classic"

I have changed every part in my iPod Photo, including the logic board. The next time it goes north, it's gonna be replaced.
09-06-2007 06:12 AM
dfarr Offline
Murse Practitioner

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
mixduptransistor Wrote:Yeah but screw Steve for screwing those of us who paid full price for an iPhone. I'll get over it, but I'm kind of steamed over that move...

Yeah, screw him for being a capitalist!!!
09-06-2007 06:46 AM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

dfarr Wrote:
mixduptransistor Wrote:Yeah but screw Steve for screwing those of us who paid full price for an iPhone. I'll get over it, but I'm kind of steamed over that move...

Yeah, screw him for being a capitalist!!!

Well I'm a little pissed, but I'm not going all out like everyone else. I understand the reasoning, and I understand how the system works. Thats why I have not called at&t or Apple asking for a refund or any kind of reparations. Is it so g-d horrible if I have an opinion about a relationship between me and a company, a company who has made more money off of me than I've made my entire working career so far? I'm not bitching just to be trendy, I just simply put my opinion out there and that's that. I'm not going off the deep end like most people. Christ, learn to accept that others might possibly have a differing world view than you.
09-06-2007 12:18 PM
dfarr Offline
Murse Practitioner

So how exactly did he screw you out of money?
09-06-2007 12:41 PM
Advertisement

Grammar-Nazi Offline
Grammar police

Folding@NCAAbbs
For you early adopter crybabies:

Quote:Apple offers $100 apology to first iPhone customers

By Eric Benderoff

Tribune staff reporter

2:45 PM CDT, September 6, 2007

In the wake of a sudden and steep price cut on Wednesday that has angered early buyers of the iPhone, Apple Inc. Chief Executive Steve Jobs said every iPhone buyer is now eligible for a $100 store credit.

In an open letter posted on Apple's Web site Thursday afternoon, Jobs wrote that he has "received hundreds of emails from iPhone customers" who were upset by the $200 price cut just two months after it went on sale.

The credit is good for anyone who bought the product, even those customers who purchased one at an AT&T store.

"We need to do a better job taking care of our early iPhone customers as we aggressively go after new ones with a lower price," Jobs wrote. "Our early customers trusted us, and we must live up to that trust with our actions in moments like these."

According to Apple, the company is on pace to sell 1 million iPhones by the end of September.

The 8-gigabyte version is now priced at $399 and the 4-gigabyte version can be bought for $299 while supplies last.

That version is being discontinued as Apple found that most customers were opting for the model with more storage.

Copyright 2007, Chicago Tribune
09-06-2007 03:55 PM
LightEmUp70 Offline
Debt Free

Daggum it I was just about to post that.

And this is why I never buy anything new. There's always bugs and the price has nowhere to go but down in a few months.
09-06-2007 03:59 PM
dfarr Offline
Murse Practitioner

That's the price you pay for the newest, shiniest thing. Personally I don't think Apple should offer anyone anything back. If you're willing to pay $500 for a phone, then that's of your own choice (or stupidity). The free market working at its best!
09-06-2007 04:01 PM
Grammar-Nazi Offline
Grammar police

Folding@NCAAbbs
dfarr Wrote:That's the price you pay for the newest, shiniest thing. Personally I don't think Apple should offer anyone anything back. If you're willing to pay $500 for a phone, then that's of your own choice (or stupidity). The free market working at its best!

Rarely do we agree, but I agree with you wholeheartedly on this one.
09-06-2007 04:03 PM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

I didn't get "screwed" in terms of what is right and wrong, but it does leave a sour taste, and it definitely makes me never want to be first to buy an Apple product, which is a very bad position for Apple to get into. You don't understand the Apple ecosystem. If they hadn't done what they did with the $100 rebate, they would have really alienated a lot of their customers.

I mean, it's great that the price dropped, but it is a little unreasonable that it dropped so much so fast, especially when the biggest complaint from "Apple haters" is "Well, they upgrade so fast so why would I buy anything from them?". Since when is it wrong for me, as a consumer who is spending my money, to be mad at a policy the company made? I was not going to go ask for my money back, but I was going to vote with my wallet...by not being an early adopter again. Now, Apple has regained my trust and I will be slightly more cautious with them, but I am again likely to be an early adopter of their products.
09-06-2007 05:52 PM
Advertisement

dfarr Offline
Murse Practitioner

mixduptransistor Wrote:I didn't get "screwed" in terms of what is right and wrong, but it does leave a sour taste, and it definitely makes me never want to be first to buy an Apple product, which is a very bad position for Apple to get into. You don't understand the Apple ecosystem. If they hadn't done what they did with the $100 rebate, they would have really alienated a lot of their customers.

I mean, it's great that the price dropped, but it is a little unreasonable that it dropped so much so fast, especially when the biggest complaint from "Apple haters" is "Well, they upgrade so fast so why would I buy anything from them?". Since when is it wrong for me, as a consumer who is spending my money, to be mad at a policy the company made? I was not going to go ask for my money back, but I was going to vote with my wallet...by not being an early adopter again. Now, Apple has regained my trust and I will be slightly more cautious with them, but I am again likely to be an early adopter of their products.

Caveat emptor.
09-06-2007 06:13 PM
STLouis Blazer Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
CrappiesBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Although I agree with the notion that the early buyers were willing to pay for the $599 version so the price cut shouldn't affect them I think Apple did a very smart thing here. Their products have a very short life cycle so if they expect early demand to be there for their next product then they needed to offer this price cut. If not, they run the risk of having the 100's of thousands of early buyers take a wait and see approach for the next greatest iPhone in fear that there will be a steep price discount within a matter of a few months. However, I think Apple won't have this problem the next time around as they learned from this problem.

That being said, they must have been making outrageous margins on the iPhone to be able to give such a steep discount. I would also question how well the phones were selling at the original price. Analysts have been set on the target of 1 MM iPhones sold by year end and if Apple were to miss that target their stock would take a serious hit and analysts would question the viability of Apple being in the cell-phone business. It looks like it pretty much was a double-edged sword for Apple.
09-06-2007 07:14 PM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

Well, the thing is apple doesn't set any targets, and the iPhone is selling great. They are on track to sell a million this month..and that was before the price drop. The iPhone outsold all other smartphones (blackberries, windows mobile based phones, etc) in July. Analysts have these outrageous targets that they put on themselves but they're not based in reality. The truth is that right now Apple is making an insane margin on these phones, and if they cut the price, still make a margin, but get a stranglehold on a corner of the market, later on they will be able to exploit that with a wider selection of phones with a wider range of prices. It has nothing to do with them "missing targets" or being worried that they won't impress at the end of the quarter. If the price had remained the same they'd sell less phones, but make more money. This way they get more users at less $$ per, but in the end will probably make MORE total money since they'll sell way more phones.
09-07-2007 09:10 AM
Sarahbelle18 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Troy Trojans

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardNew Orleans Bowl
I agree with STL. Sounds like there's a supply and demand disequilibrium that forced the hand of Apple to lower the prices.

And for those (dfarr) who call it a free market right to set prices however and whenever Apple wants, yes, it's true, they can change the price by $500 every day if they like, but it's bad business and it's a turn off to buyers. Most retailers have a price adjustment policy that states that if a buyer purchases a product and within a certain amount of days the price drops, the buyer can bring the receipt in and the retailer will refund the difference. If Apple doesn't offer something to the first buyers that paid the higher cost for the phones, whether it be a credit or a partial refund, it's likely that many of those customers won't be camping out in front of the Apple stores next time.

/typing this message from my MacBook Pro, so this isn't an anti-Apple post
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2007 08:54 AM by Sarahbelle18.)
09-11-2007 08:46 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.